1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New Gaming Rig Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lacerta, 16 Dec 2009.

1. Lacerta

Lacerta What's a Dremel?

Hello folks, I will be building my second computer in January.
    Currently I am running a
    • E6700 Conroe 2.66GHz Revision B2 Stepping 6
    • Asus P5B
    • 3GB DDR2 Corsair CM2X1024-6400C4
    • NVIDIA 8800GT 512MB
    • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
    • Corsair HX620W PSU

Now this PC has done me well the past few years but I feel the need to upgrade as I will be coming into some cash in January, Here is a list of the Components I have in mind...

All the Items on the list are from Ebuyer
    • Intel Core i7 920 D0 2.66GHz Socket 1366 8MB Cache - £214.87
    • ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 iX58 Socket 1366 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard - £198.93
    • Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz XMS3 Dominator Memory CL8(8-8-8--24) £154.99
    • Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB £67.39
    • Sharkoon Silent Eagle 1000 120mm - £10.35 (Not sure on Quantity yet depending on Case)

Also these few components/accessory's
    Pro-Source 1500 UPS - 900 Watts (Cant seem to find a UK Based Distributor)
    QPAD 5K Gaming Laser Mouse €84.70
    (Current mouse is suffering from Double Click Syndrome Razer Deathadder)
    Need a Quiet Keyboard not to big and bulky
    New Case Main features I am looking for is Quiet/Well Designed/No Flashy Lights/Adequate Cooling (Ones I have had in mind Akasa Omega,Fractal Design Define R2.
    3rd Party CPU Cooler

Items I plan to Upgrade later on in the year but not essential at this present time
    Purchase a SSD Enough to handle OS and a Library of Games
    Graphics Card will wait for NVIDIA's new range

Any help/advice/tips are welcome as nothing is set in stone only features I really need/want are Motherboard to have SATA on the side. ATX/M-ATX I am not to bothered about
    PC will be used Primarily for gaming/watching HD
    Not to sure about purchasing a new PSU... as I have had this one for a few years now might be wise to upgrade not sure on the Life Span.

Also I would really like to get rid of the IDE Cable for my DVD Drive I am not sure if the SATA Drives still need that cable and is only powered by Sata are if it takes an actual SATA Cable.

Thank you for reading I look forward to hearing from you. :thumb:

2. Validus

Validus What's a Dremel?

Seems like you have it all pretty much under control.

I think getting a SATA Optical Disk Drive shouldn't be a headache. If you keep your old one, you may have to get some sort of adapter to accept the IDE connection. Most new MOBOs don't have IDE connections. The ASUS P6T Deluxe you listed doesn't appear to have one. SATA connections still need a power connection, but it's doesn't have anything to do with the IDE cable. There are adapters that convert a 4pin molex to a SATA power.

I have a personal attachment to Lian Li for quiet, nondescript, well-built cases. I also prefer an all aluminum chassis over a mix of aluminum and steel or plastic.

For a 3rd party cooler for your CPU, if you're going air I would go with a ZALMAN CNPS9500. Same as the CNPS9700, but without the LED. The next step up from there, but still below a full bore water cooling system, is the Corsair CWCH50.

As for a PSU, PC Power & Cooling or Corsair tend to be some of the higher ranked, most dependable, consistent, etc. power supplies. My guess is you'll need an 850watt minimum, but it's hard to say for sure w/o seeing all the details (namely the new 3xx nVidia cards).

If I misspoke here, let me know.

3. Lacerta

Lacerta What's a Dremel?

Thanks for your reply Validus I will give that a google and have a look at adapters but as Disk Drives are reasonably inexpensive these days, Its been a long time since I got any new parts I think I was just confused and wording wasn't exactly transparent, I thought the Sata drives just used Sata power cable and IDE Interface don't know why I thought that lol.

I shall have a look at the Lian Li Range I do like very discrete Blank canvas style cases.

My Current CPU Cooler is a Noctua NH-C12P big mistake as I should have gotten the NH-U12P as it would blow the hot air out the back aided by the rear case fan silly mistake I made, Thou I will have a look at the Zalman CNPS9500 see how the noise levels are, Thou I am a fan of big heatsinks within reason of weight and one's you can put your own fans on.

Yea I am not to sure what Power wattage to be aiming at as I wont be having a SLI setup are a RAID setup just a GPU and max 2 Harddrives 1 Standard and 1 SSD.

Thanks for your reply.

4. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I would suggest with your existing HX620. It should be fine, particularly if you are not adding a second graphics card. Even if you were adding a second graphics card I wouldn't expect that you would need more than 750W.

When Nvidia release Fermi take a look at the power consumption section of a few reviews. I would be very surprised if it was more than 400W.

As Validus said Lian Li make nice cases. You may also want to take a look at the Silverstone Fortress FT01 and the Zalman MS1000-HS2.

Is there a particular reason you were looking at getting a UPS?

The motherboard you have chosen is quite expensive. You may be able to save some money if you have a close look at the features you need and see if any of the less expensive motherboards meet your requirements.

Ebuyer have 6GB Corsair XMS3 CL9 for £120 or Crucial 6GB DDR3 1600 CL8 for £118. Either should be fine to use instead of the Corsair Dominator modules.

5. Lacerta

Lacerta What's a Dremel?

Thanks tonpal Main reason I was considering a UPS was incase of powercut but I am not sure as its only happened twice in the past year that I have lost power while in the middle of something.
    Motherboard and Ram I shall check out the altenatives the Corsair ones you linked look pretty good 2.

Now cases I am struggling to find a case that suits my needs
    Bottom mounted PSU
    Decent cooling
    Well build
    Not loads of holes for Noise Leakage
    Adequate Airflow
    I am not a fan of Antec cases I just dont like them.
    Budget not set in stone but under £200 that would be my limit
    Lian Li cases look nice but there is so many different choices which ones are the better ones?

Any other case recommendations welcome

6. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I quite like the look of the Zalman MS1000-HS2. Haven't seen any reviews that cover performance so not sure what it is like for airflow.