1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New PSU - Anyone heard of iCute?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GenerationX, 29 Mar 2008.

1. GenerationX

GenerationX What's a Dremel?

bonjour ladies and gents,

I'm on the hunt for a new PSU and have come across a make called 'iCute'. some of them are pretty good for the price but as i know nothing about the makers i'm wondering if anyone has heard of them; if so are they anygood?

cheers

2. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

i'm gonna say this guy probably thinks they're pretty good.

i'd stay away from them myself. psu's are one of those things you should only get from a brand you know and trust. corsair, silverstone, seasonic, PCP&C, etc. the prices might look good for the listed output, but if the voltage fluctuates you're screwed.

3. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

they make cheap and nasty cases, i wouldnt expect better from there psu's

4. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I've not seen iCute PSUs on *any* list of recommended power supplies, high or low end. I'd say only buy one if you're trying to sabotage your system...:eeek:

5. GenerationX

cheers for the info guys. i'll take a look for a different PSU. could anyone suggest a decent 600W +? please not Corsair..ugly as hell

6. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Corsair. PSU's aren't meant to look pretty, they're meant to run well and not kill the rest of your components. That's the first priority, and for that, corsair kick ass.

7. GenerationX

some of their stuff is just isn't worth it when it comes to the price though. also - have you seen a thermaltake armor jr? that's the case i have, has a huge side window which shows the PSU & the drive bays to my disgust (the case looked different in the picture..) anyway my question still stands, if we take Corsair out of the equation what decent PSU makers are there?

8. Matticus

Matticus ...

OCZ 600watt stealthXstream or gameXsteam.

Enermax Liberty 620watt. Or any other enermax

Seasonic s12 650watt.

Also

And just for the record, Even though PSUs are not really products that get the beauty treatment by many manurfactures, I have to say I really like the look of the corsair PSUs.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2008
  9. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I don't suggest hte OCZ *XStream; It's based on the fsp epsilon platform, which exceeds atx spec for ripple at higher loads.

I also don't suggest any enermax liberty series. They seem to have a higher rma rate Right at the end of their 1 year warranty. That, and the price.

Seasonic S12, I like it. Not pretty, but gets the job done.

I realy suggest the Corsair HX series. You can fold the cables out of the way, and hide everything. The PSU body is black, and just stays out of the way. It's not particularly good looking, but it's far from ugly.

Since bling is a high priority, the Antec Truepower Quattro is good; They come in 850 and 1kw versions, which are black with racing stripes, and look quite good. They're a good solid psu inside too, and the cables are decent.

10. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I'm currently using a Ultra x2 550 watt psu. I know it isn't the greatest brand, but it isn't the worst brand either. The psu has lasted me for about 3/4 of a year so far, and no problems at all. It's modular UV cables, chromish (i say this because it isn't 100% reflective, kinda like a reflective gun-metal) look, and it was fairly priced. Again though, quality over looks... atleast that's my opinion. Why risk your pc components for something that could have been prevented for an extra 20 dollars.

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Why not paint the Corsair one a different colour?

12. topdog555

topdog555 What's a Dremel?

13. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

Thats funny. My enermex liberty 620watt came with 3 years warranty....... and ive had no problems with from 2 years of pretty much 24/7 use. So id reccommend enermex over any other.

That icute one is piss though. SO dont bother with it.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

15. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Bit-tech PSU forum thread rules:

Rule 1. Don't argue with Bbq.of.doom.

:hehe:

16. Matticus

Matticus ...

I have the ocz and its fine. The ripple rates have been tested and they dont exceed, they are still within the safe limits.

I have seen a few people moaning about this. Most reviews dont even pick up on it, only the overclock3d.net review really notes it, saying that the 12volt and 3.3volts stay AT ATX standards, and the 5volt flucuates +/- 5% at 100% load, which is still within ATX standards. Plus 5% of around 5 is very very little.

Also how many people actually 100% load their power supply, if they do, they need a bigger power supply.

And they are as efficient as they state. So really I dont see why you dont suggest the OCZ on the back of some problems experienced by some people.

The enermax liberty a few of my friends have and they thinks its good, but I will agree with the warranty, I did not realise it was so short.

EDIT:
    If the enermax has 3 years then I will have to re-suggest it :hehe:

17. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

iCute = iFryallyourcircuitry

Antec has always been good to me, whilst the last two Ultra units luckily only took themself out when they blew.

18. GenerationX

I thank you all for the advice. I've got an Enermax Galaxy 850W on the way :clap:

Lets hope it can support me

19. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

actually with your setup, you could have gotten away with a good 600watt PS.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I can reccomend a Liberty. I don't know if you just had bad luck with one, but I've had, and abused mine from back when the 6800GTs were just mewling kittens on the market's doorstep...