1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage New SDD, need help installing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SmilerAl, 29 Nov 2011.

1. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

I've got my 1TB HDD right now partitioned to have Windows 7 installed on my C drive and then games and most other programs etc installed on my D drive. I'll want to have a clean installation of W7 on the SSD and maybe one or two programs on it and the rest of of my files on the HDD. Will it be possible or do I need to back up important files externally?

My specs are in my sig, thanks.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2011
  2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You haven't backed up your files already? :jawdrop::lol: Install Windows 7 on the SSD and simply delete the other windows 7 partition on the HDD, moving anything of importance over to the other partition prior to deleting the partition. Then extend the partition to encompass all the 1TB. Programs might need reinstalling, but some will likely just repair themselves or ask for the disc once.

If you're a bit more cautious, then you could put all your important stuff on a separate HDD or whatever just to make sure it doesn't get deleted.

3. SmilerAl

Great thanks, I just wanted to make sure I was clear in my own knowledge before I did something stupid, just gotta find some mounting brackets and screws now.

4. noizdaemon666

Make sure your board's in AHCI mode as well, not IDE or something stupid for the SATA ports :D

5. SmilerAl

That's something new I've heard, what's the difference and how do I check?

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Go in the BIOS, and under one of the sub-menu's, you'll find something called SATA Controller or SATA Controller Mode. It will have one of the following possible values: Legacy or Compatibility or IDE or AHCI, RAID.

Legacy/Compatibility/IDE are all the same (you'll get one of them as a possible value to select.. so either Legacy or Compatibility or IDE). AHCI and RAID does not have another terminology.

Under IDE mode (or Legacy or Compatibility): the SATA controller emulates the old IDE cable system designed for legacy OS, like Windows XP and older. This is usually the default settings on most motherboard of today.

RAID is to setup a RAID setup. If you won't have one, don't select it.

AHCI enables the full power of your SATA controller and new features. The new features are:
    -> Hot swappable support
    -> eSATA support
    -> NCQ (Native Command Queue), boost HDD performance nicely.
    -> TRIM, boost SSD life span, and keeps the SSD performance.

As every motherboard BIOS is different, refer to the motherboard manual for assistance. Actually you and I have the same BIOS... if you can't find it. I'll look into mine and tell you where it is.
    In your case, you'll get 3 possible values: IDE, AHCI and RAID. default is IDE. You want AHCI.

Please note that this settings needs to set BEFORE you install Windows, else you'll get a BSOD at startup.

SmilerAl likes this.
  7. SmilerAl

Thanks for all the help. The SSD is now installed and running W7 much faster, now just got to put my HDD back together.

Some reason Windows won't let me extend the partition for the HDD >;(

8. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You can't extend towards the beginning of the disk, only to the end. You'll need to use gparted. First you will have to do a move to the beginning of the disk, then extend.

9. SmilerAl

Last edited: 30 Nov 2011
  10. noizdaemon666

I think a few have done it in AHCI mode, but if you want to be sure use IDE mode. Just change it in BIOS, do the update, then change it back.

11. SmilerAl

Great thanks, I know I'm asking straight forward questions but I just don't want mess up anything with the SSD. :p

12. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

I did mine in AHCI mode, never had any issues... but there we go!