1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice New System and Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shah, 19 Sep 2020.

1. shah

shah Minimodder

Hello All,

It's been a very long time since I have looked into hardware or posted on bit-tech. I would need your help to upgrade my current system.
    Laptop:

Budget:
    Not sure but don't want to spend too much.

Main uses of intended build:
    PyCharm (fair bit of processing needed - GPU would be better but not immediate need)
    Adobe Premier Pro
    Filmora
    Parts required:
    MB, Processor, RAM, GPU
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    Intel Core i5 3450 @ 3.1GHz
    4GB RAM
    AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series
    Samsung SSD 830
    WD 1TB
    Zotac Board
    Silverstone Mini case
    Watercooled
    Windows 10

Monitor resolution:
    1920*1080

Storage requirements:
    Already have enough but open to suggestions

Will you be overclocking: yes/no (delete as required)
    No

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    No just need the Wifi if possible

Extra information about desired system:

Laptop:
    HP elitebook 820 (quite an old model) probably has Intel Core i5 with SSD and 4GB RAM. Laptop will also be used with the above software and size wise would like the screen to be not too big - around 13inch.

I have not researched for any components so would be grateful if can get some advice. I don't even know about a budget but would not want to spend too much. Can some of the parts be used from current system or even sold? Could the laptop be sold?

Thanks in advance.
    Shah.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2020
  2. shah

shah Minimodder

Anyone on the main system?

3. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I'm by no means the expert around here, but it seems to me you have quite a few reusable bits for a new main system. I would be inclined to go second hand for everything, one or two generations behind new (that's what I do with most of my stuff).

Laptops I tend not to use as second hand, only because it's more of a pain to replace/customise parts. I did pick up a Dell XPS 13 from their outlet site in last year's Black Friday sale for a good price - think around £900ish from memory but it was a decent spec. Which one will you be using the most? I'm guessing travel is out of the question at the moment!

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

A friend of mine in the video editing industry swears by the Scan 3XS laptops - he's had two over the last couple of years and each one has been a workhorse particularly the latest with the Geforce RTX installed. Budget isn't an issue for him though as they are work systems which he specced up... a little like the desktop from Pugetsystems.com - AMD Threadripper 3960x with 128GB of RAM (the 8k editing system)! He uses the Pugetsystems "recommended" links to get an idea of price then specs up similar parts - his last link he sent me for the "recommended for Adobe Premier Pro" came out a little under $6000 (yep - dollars) but it's an overkill system even for him so it might be a good place to start.

Here's a linky to their page https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Premiere-Pro-143