1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming New Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands Trailer Shows Off Open World

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by JakeTucker, 30 May 2016.

1. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

2. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

Anyone else getting tired of open world games? it seems like everyone is making their games open world these days

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Genuine question, why would you want to go back to liner landscapes and maps with doors, low walls or even barb wire blocking alternative pathways? I still remember that it was a constant complaint of FPS games that you could see paths and routes but you just weren't 'allowed' to go that way.

So, maybe it is actually something else with the games you may be tired of that is bothering you rather than their open world nature?

4. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Want to see linear-ish levels done right? Play the new Doom.

I currently alternate between Doom and The Division and they both are good in their own right. Doom's singleplayer is brilliant, fast-paced, gory and extremely well designed. The Division's world is very open, beautifully detailed and, again, extremely well designed. While both types of level/world design have their strengths and weaknesses, they can both be entertaining.

It just felt fresh somehow to play Doom after the recent years of CoD-style cinematic games and open world games. Brilliant linear level design with enough variety to it to keep it interesting and arenas that ranged from tiny to relatively sizeable, yet always stayed challenging.

The only really negative thing to say about the next Ghost Recon: it's done by Ubisoft. Their track record is pretty much the opposite of encouraging right now. But every now and then it gets a little chuckle out of me while playing The Division to see the bugs... like walking away from some random IED that explodes behind me after I triggered the proximity sensor by walking past it. And, would you know it, I made progress to my weekly achievement of "Get 10 Explosive Kills". How? I have no idea, there was nobody around. Maybe I killed a rodent.

Sorry for going offtopic so much. To finish on an on-topic comment: this will be another great-looking trailer to another game that will not quite deliver the graphical brilliance we were promised (Watch Dogs, The Division, ...) and that will cut corners and most likely have random gameplay design decisions that make absolutely no sense. Let's just hope it's not developed by Massive.

5. SchizoFrog

To be honest, I find it odd that you bring up The Division as a positive when it was so heavily critised for all manner of game design flaws.

As for Doom, I have absolutely no desire to play it... EVER! It's not that gore bothers me, it doesn't, not at all and maybe that is the problem. I don't get any feeling of delight nor disgust from gore and I am not an 11 year old who gets excited by the mere fact of watching an 18 rated movie.
    If I want an 18 rated game I would much rather play something along the lines of F.E.A.R. or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

The issue is also not about how well an idea is designed and implemented but about the quality of the idea in the first place. An open world design can be done well or it can be done poorly, but a liner game is limited by its very definition in my opinion regardless of how well it is implemented or the game ability to be entertaining.

6. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

Gore aside, I think DOOM is the best FPS i've played this year in terms of design.

7. SchizoFrog

To be honest, I fear that it says more about the state of FPS games in general over more recent years than it does about DOOM.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

You just don't want to like Doom, admit it. Have you even played the singleplayer yet? :p

But, honestly, gameplay, pace, level and monster design as well as the soundtrack of Doom are brilliant. I am talking about singleplayer, mind you. Gore is there aplenty maybe even excessively, but it is in no way the driving factor for Doom players. The players get sucked into the fights, which are fast, fun and yes, bloody. The exploration bits (finding secrets/collectibles) are not part of the core gameplay but they do help fleshing out the story and getting upgrades for your suit and weapons.

I mentioned Division because it is a flawed game which is getting ripped apart, especially on reddit, by people who like to moan. Obviously, all is not well in Division Land but it is far away from being as broken as some people make it out to be. And the underlying game itself is good, just the implementation needs time it will hopefully get. For now it is fun with quite a bit of frustration sprinkled on top. The best comparision I have stumbled upon so far is with Diablo 3. The game arrived in a pretty broken state but people still love it after 4 years. Simply because Blizzard listened to the community and fixed, expanded and introduced parts of the game over time. I doubt Ubisoft will do the same or at least not to the same extent with Division, but there is still hope that it could realize its massive (no pun intended) potential.

But let's not get too far off-topic here. GRW looks great (in the trailer) and I am quite sure there will be a lot of hype surrounding it before launch. Fingers crossed Ubisoft learned from their past mistakes and will release a game that is relatively bug-free (bugs are okay, but not game-breaking ones like gear attributes doing the opposite of what their description says or missions that reset daily only to be marked completed for some players with what appears to be complete randomness).

Tags: Add Tags