1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Nintend'oh

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Slink, 30 Mar 2006.

1. K

K 528491

Completely untrue I'm afraid. Did you even click the link? It tells you right there that if you only use your TV "to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console" then you do not need a licence. You are officially required to get in touch with them and explain this, but if you don't and you're not watching TV channels on it, what have you to hide?

No manufacturer is going to sell a TV without a UHF or Digital tuner and not everyone in the country cares for watching TV. They do have these magic other uses.

My LCD monitor has a built-in UHF tuner. I don't pay a licence on that. I've never even used it!

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

BAcking K on this one.

Housemate last year in uni, (seperate licenses for seperate rooms in one house cos TVL SUCK), had an AIW capable of tuner de-mod, kept getting letters but he ignored em and nothing ever happened.

3. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I am too very surprised in the new controller. I think Nintendo don’t learn from its mistakes. I remember when the N64 was coming out and they kept the joy pad a secret hyping it up as a revolutionary controller that is going to change the way games are played. I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw it. I mean the N64 controller is the worst ive used. You pretty much just used the middle and right side. The left side d pad was just a waste of plastic.

Then they did it again with the DS going with a stylus to play games. I get bored quick and tired using my stylus playing games on my pocket PC.

This new controller on the next machine. I don’t know how this is going to play until I get my hands on one. We will have to see then it comes out before we can comment on its effectiveness as a game controller.

Out of all of Nintendo’s controllers I still believe the Snes controller is the best. I loved using that in the days of the megadrive as the megadrive controller was so big and uncomfortable.

Dont get me wrong but I have every Nintendo console out and have to admit they are pretty much kids consoles. Nintendo aims for the younger generation, and it’s always been like that. Huge buttons bright colours and the name Game Cube is says it all. Dont get me wrong I still love playing Golden eye on N64 and Mario Kart on Snes but they have to bring the age limit up abit for the next console to survive as games are not just for kids.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

The N64 was the best damn controller of its generation. People loved it.

Sure, the middle and right were the only ones that were used, but it sure as hell was better having the option of the middle, unlike sony's offerings.

5. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

Did you actually read what I wrote. You need one if you have equipment that can receive the signal. Yes they tell you to write to them if you just use it to watch DVD's and play games. This does not mean that you can!!!! They will come to see what equipment you have and if you can receive a signal then you will have to pay!!!!

The licence is not about if you watch or not, its about if you can receive a signal.

And you can buy Plasma and LCD TVS without a Modulator in them. I ahve 2. For example, You see all those plasma TVS in Shopping centres???? Not one of them have a modulator in them, not one can receive a TV signal.

And Dougedey, just because he ignored the letters does not mean he doesnt need one. They just never bothered visiting or were unable to as they can only visit so mainy people on the budgets they have. He was lucky.

Put it this way mate I work for a Goverment Department.

6. K

K 528491

Are you kidding? The N64 controller has revolutionised 3D gaming. The PlayStation and Saturn were both predominantly 3D consoles with basic interfaces. The N64's controller, despite being on the 3rd of the 3D consoles, was the first to consider how movement takes place in most 3D games. Hence why Sony and Sega then released their own analogue controllers. Not to mention the fact that the ergonomics of it were unlike anything else out at the time. It was a success, not a failure. The evidence is very prominent today.

You might be taking crazy pills. The DS's runaway success has been down to games that use the tactile interface of the DS in unique and innovative ways. Look at the commercial success of something like Nintendogs. Impossible on any other machine. A pink DS with Nintendogs was the holy grail for parents at Christmas. Look at games like Brain Training in Japan. Expanding gaming to the adult market like no other games console has before. This even got on the front page of The Daily Express! And just take a look at the controls of Metroid Prime Hunters. It's the most immersive interface for an FPS I've ever played. That includes any platform.

Indeed. Like previously mentioned though, if they can recreate the kinds of suitable interfaces like they have with the DS, it could be something incredibly special.

Most probably. It's the basic foundation for every modern day controller!

...and this is how the Revolution will strive to do this. Just like the DS has. By taking away the 'fiddly' controls and replacing them with something so intuitive that anyone of any age can pick up and play it.

7. K

K 528491

I couldn't care less if you work for a "Government Department", like it means you have a better grasp of the concept. It's about if you receive a signal. Not if you can. It's written in plain English on their site and can be backed up by a cavalcade of other testimonials on the web. Here's just one, as an example, with a letter from the TV Licence guys in Bristol: http://www.palmyra.demon.co.uk/aboutme/tvlicenc.htm

But I guess if that's not good enough you could always consult the Citizen's Advice Bureau: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/n6m/index/your_world/communications/television_licences.htm#nobbc

If you don't receive broadcasts, don't ****ing pay. It's as simple as that.

Last edited: 30 Mar 2006
  8. nintendoh

nintendoh What's a Dremel?

All I care about is the games !

Tags: