1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards No POST

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by antipcw, 11 Mar 2010.

1. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Can anyone assist,please?

MoBo=AsusP5Q Deluxe
    CPU=Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 o/cd+Titan Fenrir
    RAM=4Gb OCZ Reaper X HPC(2x2Gb)
    Test PCI vga card(nornally use ATi 4770)

Connected a PSU to it,pressed the power button on the MoBo;Titan fan spins,but no POST.
    Removed the RAM modules,powered up,no RAM missing beeps.

Board has been tested by Aria where I bought it from and it posted after all my own components had been removed.I'm wondering,could it be the CPU that has died on me? Or something else?

Any help most welcome.Thanks in advance

2. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

If you have any friends with a LGA775 setup like yourself then ask them nicely if you could have a switch of components.
    If you stick your CPU in their socket (ooh err mrs) and see if there are similar issues.

That's all I can really recommend at the moment, I'm sure someone will come along with some more helpful advice though.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

have you tried a different PSU and RAM ?

it is very unusual for a CPU to blow unless you really cained it

4. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Give the cpu socket a good lungful of air (after taking the cpu out) and check the bottom of the cpu for anything stuck on it. I've had it twice where a bit of crap has flown out of the socket - one on my own setup, one on someone elses. Both wouldn't post or beep. Both s775.

5. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thank you guys for your prompt help.Much appreciated.

Just bought a 2nd hand Celeron Socket 775 CPU to test the rig+fitted it and re-assembled with the Titan Fenrir HSF+one stick OCZ Reaper.Again,the on-board Pwr and Reset buttons light up.Pressing the Pwr button spins the Titan fan but that is all.Exactly same as before.Am going to try with my original 4770 vga card and see what happens.

6. Miffers

Miffers CPC Refugee

Epic ^^ I lol'd

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Try starting with only 1 memory module and see if that makes a difference.

8. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Did the board come with a way to read diagnostic codes?
    Are there any beep codes?

I would guess it's a power problem of some sort. The CPU may not be getting enough power to start, but the chipset gets enough to run the fans and turn one some of the LEDs.

9. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

No POST,no beep codes with the OCZ Reaper X HPC modules taken out.No diagnostic codes to read on the board itself.Just how much power does a low-end Celeron CPU require,but as I was testing out of the case as my current PSU,a 650W Be Quiet! PSU is all wired,routed and harnessed in,I was using a Jeantech 400W PSU as a temp supply for testing out-of-case purposes.

10. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Try it with the Be Quiet! - it may be that your Jeantech is busted. If it isn't, however, 400W is absolutely fine for almost any system to POST at the very least so it won't be that.

11. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

When I had this problem it was because I made the ridiculously stupid error of not plugging in the power cable to the cpu. I'm sure you're not at thick as me but something to check.

12. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I was thinking along the lines of the 12 volt rail for the CPU being bad, but your description of the problem is along the lines of what I was thinking.

13. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Thanks for the suggestions,but I indeed have the 4-pin Molex for the CPU connected to the relevant socket.And I cannot access my Be Quiet!650 coz it's already loomed in,so cannot test with the XFX Radeon 4770.The Jeantech 400W has proved ok for previous ou-of-the-case builds.

But irrespective of whether I use a bog standard PCI vga card or a high-end PCI-e card,removing both RAM modules at the very least should generate the requisite beep error.

Tried with just 1 RAM module,still no POST,and the CPU has been inserted correctly.

14. antipcw

antipcw Minimodder

Sorted

Thanks for all the help/advice.Eventually,I sorted it out.Reason I could not hear any beep codes was coz I had no mini-speaker connected to the MoBo,when being tested out of the Antec 902 case.Once I took care of that I rapidly discovered that one of the OCZ Reaper HPC 2Gb modules was faulty and as they are sold in pairs,and have a lifetime warranty,the dealer who sold it to me had no probs in exchanging the whole set.

Once replaced,it all worked fine.