1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 No PSN this weekend after Sony hacked. Again.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Whirly, 7 May 2011.

1. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

Seems that yet another Sony server has been hacked proving that they still cannot secure their servers from outside intrusion. This time the hackers got into an old server and published the personal data of 2500 people.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/34552/PSN_Return_Delayed_Hackers_Publish_Stolen_Data.php

It makes you wonder exactly who is in charge of Sony online security. Surely, with so many parts of your system hacked, you would ensure anything left was at least secure?

I'm glad I don't rely on my PS3 for my entertainment. At this rate we'll be lucky to see PSN back on-line this month.

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

To quote certain types with a less than eloquent mouth 'Are you ****ing kidding me?!?!'

Seriously what the hell is wrong with this company? I can't think of any incident of incompetence by any company which matches this now. It makes the sandy bridge issue seem like a minor concern.

I remember years ago, when prisoner transport was privatised, Group 4 Security had a major issue with 'losing' some people while taking them to court and this whole Sony episode is giving me the same shock.

3. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I can... EA.

4. Plugs

Plugs Minimodder

as long as its back by early June, when my uni exams are finished and i let myself play on my PS3 again.
    even then, I have a few single player games I could get through

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I think they should just pull the plug on everything until they get someone who knows about security in, :D, that's what they always teach, best security is to not turn it on, :D :D

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think it's a mistake to assume that Anonymous are a bunch of little kiddies who can't really do much. Sony have clearly paid the price in a big way for that assumption.

7. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

Anon have already said they didn't do it. Plus it isn't their MO to hack and steal peoples details.

8. sb1991

sb1991 What's a Dremel?

After the whole CD rootkit thing, I can feel very little sympathy for Sony...

9. Seabrook

Seabrook What's a Dremel?

They are two completely separate companies though to be fair. Don't let the Sony part fool you.

10. Canon

Canon Reformed

The assumption that this has ANYTHING to do with them is also, a massive mistake. They're kiddies that watched too many movies and think wearing a mask and pretending to be in a little e-gang gives them the right to be malicious with the most basic of attempts.

11. Whirly

Whirly What's a Dremel?

I must say that failing to protect your systems AFTER you've already been hacked twice in the last couple of weeks can only be described a deeply negligent.

Are Sony getting what they deserve? I suspect that had they not treated their PS3 customers so badly when they removed OtherOS, there is a good chance they wouldn't have made themselves such a target.

Obviously criminals are going to take advantage wherever they can but I have to wonder at the wisdom of metaphorically showing your bum to the world's hackers. While 99.9% are just kids, you've opened yourself up to the rest of them testing every vulnerability on your system. The more people who look, the more likely a vulnerability will be found.

Who is to say that the hackers who stole the database were the first ones in? I have a sneaking suspicion a clever hacker broke in first, left a couple of files to prove it and going no further. Then boasted about his methods and the criminals moved in using the same method of entry.

12. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

They should have updated their copy of Norton, the fools!

will_123 likes this.
  13. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

[aside]Don't get me started on the privatising of prisoner transportation. Worst. F*****g. Idea. Ever.[/aside]

14. B_HERB

B_HERB What is this..A CENTER FOR ANTS?!

D@mn it all!!!! I've been chomping at the bit to test my might in Mortal Kombat! C'mon SONY!!!! :wallbash:

15. Threefiguremini

Threefiguremini What's a Dremel?

Just heard a really interesting piece on the radio discussing what all these people with extra free time are going to be doing now. Some of the possibilities that were mooted:

Consumer spending may go up - people will replace games with tv and so are subject to many more advertisements.

The birth rate 9 months from now may increase - do I really need to explain this one? ;)

Crime may increase - bored young people/just more people outside on the streets or driving round whatever.

Not saying any of this stuff will happen but I think it is really interesting that we will suddenly have millions of people with more free time.

16. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

So true, not that I use my PS3 all that much, having far too much fun living my life! Wooooo!

17. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

ROFL.

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

They are part of Sony Group. It's you who takes Sony as only the "Sony consumer products" operating segment.

Movies = Sony Pictures
    Music = Sony BMG
    Mobile phones = Sony Ericsson

So he was right, and it's you who is wrong. Sony BMG is Sony.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I think this shows it is more serious than anon. I'd be very surprised though, if it wasn't somebody involved with anon but using it as a cover for more serious, actual crimes, rather than protests.

I mean it's a golden ticket isn't it if you are a cyber criminal, having anon as a scapegoat.

Also, none of us can really say whether Sony haven't taken every step to prevent this since. It may be outside our understanding...

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I've been meaning to ask: how exactly does this effect PS3 users? Can they still play single player games? Can they play new games they've just bought? What can they not do?