1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nokia 925 unveiled as slimmer, metal clad top-end phone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 14 May 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'm so confused with Nokia's naming scheme, it's getting as confusing as HTC's which is saying something. If the 920 is the flagship and the 925 is an alternative then what the crap is the 928?! Also I thought the 820 and 810 were high end models, am I wrong? :S

More on topic it's nice to see Nokia having a bit of a comeback. They were always known for high quality devices and I've yet to have one break on me. I may try out a Nokia Windows Phone device one day but I wouldn't say no to an Android device.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

It's not that complicated Aracos - the higher the number, the better the phone!

The 920 was the old flagship. The 925 is the new global flagship, and the 928 is a slightly improved version of the 925 (but has limited distribution).

4. rollo

rollo Modder

928 is in specific countrys 925 is the new flagship in most countrys. 920 was the old flagship

820 and 810 are not high end smartphones they are more mid range and compete with SG 2 / 3 iphone 4/4s for sales.

The 928 is designed to face off agaist the htc one, Iphone 5, and SG4.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Seems like the black 925 32gb version will be exclusive to Vodafone, which sucks as that's the one I'd want.

6. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide What's a Dremel?

Very happy with my 920 right now. But the 925 is only a mild refresh and not enough to compete with the recent high end androids. Nokia should not take too long to introduce a higher end model.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I find the 925 and 928 a bit uninspiring. The 920 just has all the little details that make it a design classic IMO. Since electronically there is no real difference between the 928 and the 920, I may save my money and upgrade to last year's model. :)

8. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Would love an Android Nokia. But until then I'll stick with HTC or the latest Nexus device.

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Depends, from what I remember reading, the 925/928 was supposed to come in cheaper than the 920

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I really like the design of this model although I am a little disappointed that once again there is a compromise. Just exactly why did they have to revert to AMOLED instead of keeping the better IPS LCD? Also, why did they have to lose wireless charging considering that the Samsung GS4 is significantly thinner than the L925. This just seems like a way to rip customers off by charging a new high premium for a phone that doesn't actually offer more (apart from the new camera lens) while removing a highly publicised feature (wireless charging) of new smartphones and with a screen that is not as good.
    Windows Phone 8 is a great upcoming OS but it still has a long way to go to catch up to the more mature OS's of Android and iOS and the case isn't helped by the feeling that phone manufacturers almost offer a perfect device and then change a few things to make it worse. Just give us the best that can be done all in one phone and then we'll be happier. That is what The GS3 aimed to do and look at the response it got, instantly catapulting Samsung to the forefront of not only the Android market but to the head of the smartphone market as a whole.

WP8 also isn't helped by stories like this:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22529074
    Where WP8 seems continually to be left out in the cold. Every time we hear about a major move in the smartphone market it involves Android and iOS but WP8 is missing out. These gaps surely can not be helping customers confidence in the product.

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Nice alternative but I'll stick with my 920.

With regards to WP8, I've seen more younger smartphone users with WP8 phones than droid/iPhones recently but that might be the charm offensive with Holly Willybooby and James Cordan advertising and Nokia lower end pricing being competitive such as the 520.

12. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

I was a Android user from waaaay back, but I bought a Lumia 800 for a backup phone because I loved the handset so much and it was only £150 odd.

Now I'm utterly converted, I have a 920 and I don't think I will ever go back to Android.

The livetile system is simply brilliant. Using a Droid handset now feels like going back in time 10 years, the whole icon system is just such a waste of time.

I love Windows Phone and I wasn't expecting to even LIKE it.

13. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The whole android/iOS vs WP is only held back by Apps. Microsoft can't do much about that if the most popular services across the board wont make a WP app. Look at YouTube, they wont do it for whatever reason so Microsoft have now done their own which actually removes adverts and gives it a handy download button. It's not for lack of trying by Microsoft and if they go about things the same way, us WP users will probably get a better experience since they'll be taking the toss out of the "proper" app.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Nokia are bring back their sleep/standby clock in an upcoming update, at a guess, this is one of the reasons they switched to an AMOLED, not sure why you're against the AMOLEDs. This is from nokia,

As for the price and specs, the lumia is said to be slightly cheaper than the S4. Personally I'm not fussed by lack of wireless charging. Though they left it in on the 928.

15. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Someone been reading Harry Potter before writing articles?

16. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I must admit I'm tempted by the Windows Phone 8 darkside... I just got the wife the Lumia 620 and it is a really nice phone. The screen on it is outstanding, easily better than my SGS2's.

17. Dr Evil

Dr Evil What's a Dremel?

Looks like Nokia have taken a year to release yet another kiddie/camera phone that's the same (or inferior) as the 920. Totally uninspiring and i'm not sure if I should even bother upgrading from my now ageing Lumia 800!

As a platform WP is great (IMO) as it isn't as "homebrew" as android or as fragmented as the now stale IOS. I'm not looking to start a holy-war, but if you have a PC at home, work and a laptop which all run Windows with Office, Skydrive, etc WP is the only choice where it all integrates so nicely. On other platforms things like onenoe and exchange email just don't function properly. These days you really do have to pick an "Eco-System" and stick to it, in order to have everything playing nicely with everything.

Such a shame though that the choice of windows phone is so uninspiring! Where are the days of Nokia creating superb business-orientated phones!

</rant>

Peace,

Evil

Tags: Add Tags