1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Nokia LCD + PC

Discussion in 'Modding' started by solarian, 27 Dec 2003.

1. t.n.

t.n. What's a Dremel?

will a 5110 LCD works?

edit: cant read :duh:
    edit 2: took apart the 5110 already and seems like its gonna work :D

Last edited: 22 Jan 2004
  2. SpeedFreak

SpeedFreak What's a Dremel?

EDIT: whoops, wrong button :duh:

3. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

hmm.. I think I have one of those lying around.. Lol.. time to mess around with it.

4. I pulled the lcd screen out of my old nokia 5170I all there is is a litle gold bar on the back for the power and stuff to the screen. any ideas on how I can use this??
    [​IMG]
    back side
    [​IMG]
    front side

5. Mohlraax

Mohlraax What's a Dremel?

:( So i heard... think I need to freeze that dream for this time...

... in the meanwhile I better start opening that nokia phone! :D

6. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

Has anyone got a Nokia lcd working in LPT port yet ?

The 5170I display couple posts up looks same like the other PCD8544 displays so it should work too.

7. where can I find the info on how to wire the display right and what software to usefor the nokia 5170I??

8. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

hi guys

found this link for nokia service manuals

http://www.movilesgsm.net/serviciosgsm/manuales.htm

may be some use?

i am gonna have to try this. there a are some nice blue screens on ebay for about a fiver.

just a quick question(s),did you use the diagram on lcd infos forum to wire it together?? can you power it from a molex and use resistors to lower the voltage to 3.3 rather than use a LP2950 regulator and a 74LCX245 chip (what ever they are?) as it says on the lcdinfo site??? if not, i suppose its just a case of soldering it together even if i dont know how it works.!

9. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

http://www.skippari.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=474
    There is a schematic describing how I connected my display. There's also pinouts for different displays but I've only used the 8 pin 3310 display.

10. Henri

Henri What's a Dremel?

I guess nobody has yet reported about success ? The diagram in LCDInfo forum is how I connected my display. You can use any way you can come up with to adjust the VCC and signal levels so that PCD8544 can handle them ( <= 3.3V ). LP2950 and 74LCX245 were my choice because I had the chips so it was easiest for me. Another chip that works here like 74LCX245 is 74LVC245.

74LCX245 is a "Low Voltage Bidirectional Transceiver with 5V Tolerant Inputs and Outputs" but only one way communication is used here. It's just used to convert 5V level parallel port signals to 3.3V level. The regulator could be also substituted with other 3.3V regulator. Just remember to keep the current consumption of your circuit resonable so that the LPT port pin has enough current to drive it.

You might also want to measure what kind voltage your parallel port gives. Also it could be wise to check the voltage after the display and support circuitry are drawing current from it to make sure the voltage doesn't drop too much (meaning your LPT port can't source enough current). My LPT port gives about 5V and when the display and other chips were powered from a single pin it dropped slightly, maybe to 4.8V, can't remember exactly.

11. slaw

slaw At Argos buying "gold"

ta
    sorry i didnt know you had posdted on the other site. still new to this
    still its pay day and i think i will give it a go. hope i dont end up with a mess like my diy projects!

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

hmm.. i have to try this... shouldn't be any problem getting a LCD...