1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Nvidia’s GTX970 has a rather serious memory allocation bug

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lancer778544, 23 Jan 2015.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

2. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

The green fans do make me laugh though. I'm either so makes no difference. But what nvidia should have done in the beginning was just to say it's 3.5gb memory problem solved.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

At the end of the day though, you just have to look at the benchies. This doesn't change anything from what was originally sold. If you were happy buying a 970 then, you should be happy owning a 970 now.

Anyone who complains is dumb - because that means you are implying you made a buying decision based on the architecture of a card and not the benchmarks.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The problem with using FPS is that it gives very little information on vRAM usage, slow or insufficient VRAM manifests itself as severe hitching (longer pauses) and stuttering (frequent brief hiccups), not an overall reduction in FPS.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

In 2 months I have not seen any micro stutter with my XB280HK running with one or both MSI GTX 970 4Gs.

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Running this on a GTX 660 Ti brings up interesting numbers.... Still happy with the performance.

[​IMG]

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Unfortunately people are going out of their way looking for a problem now, so will exaggerate the slightest thing and put it down to this 'supposed' problem.

In the meantime I'll go on playing BF4, FC4, Crysis 2 & 3, Bioshock Infinite and numerous other games with very high/max settings at @4K on my Asus Strix 970 SLI system with lovely smooth 50-60fps.

..ignorance is bliss.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

As it stands, I've yet to see anything that would stop me buying a 970.

However, I'm not in the market for a new card at the moment, so there's time for AMD to produce something tempting - assuming they deal with the heat and power requirements.

9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The only issue I've had with my 970 is evga nerfing the power so it wont run over 100% if I increase it in ab or precision. Thank god for flashable bios.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And that video shows what exactly ?

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My Russian not being what it used to, could you please explain what you are trying to show Harlequin? I sense you are keen to convince people there is a problem.

David likes this.
  13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think it's safe to say that all this proves is that the 970 is a terrible card, the worst that Nvidia have ever released :D

/980masterrace
    /tosser

14. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

I'm hoping that the doomsayers all get upset and sell their cards cheap and either upgrade to 980's or AMd equivs.

That way those of us that dont have a 970 we can get on the bandwagon (cheap) or some of you can SLI on the cheap!

So yes yes major problem, nvidia are brushing it under the carpet. Please sell me your card now so u can recoup something before its too late.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

identical pc using a gtx 970 and a gtx 980 running the same game , notice the micro stuttering on the GTX 970 (its running cod:aw)

also note the cpu useage on the gtx 970 vs the 980

sadly this forum isn't as no biased as I had hoped - some of the avid green team forums are toitally disregarding PCPER - to the point of calling them out right liars!

16. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

And if i were so inclined I could record a shadowplay video and upload it of me playing BF4 (and other games) at 4K using upto 3.8GB of VRAM with no stuttering al all.

I believe what I see with my own eyes...not the nonsense posted on forums by nerds in a rage over nothing.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

some people have allready got RMA`s based upon nerd rage of them seeing it with their own eyes on their own rigs....

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Which part denotes CPU usage? What's the voltage for at the bottom? What are the extra percentages being shown on the 980?

19. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

..and the retailer will test the card and find no fault then send it back to them.

Anybody can request an RMA on goods they have if they believe there is a fault.

Unless and until Nvidia inform their retail partners of a recognised hardware fault, no one will get a refund if they're outside of the distance selling regulations, which gives you 1 or 2 weeks to change your mind.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Doesn't mean you'll get a full refund either if it's been opened. DSR has changed.