1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia denies GeForce GTX 970 design flaw claims

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jan 2015.

1. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

In all honesty I don't see what the problem is. The performance difference is no different from before we found this out. I guess I'm willing to forgive it if only because the card's inherent performance hasn't changed, it was simply a misreport.

Given the fact that it's a $320 card that performs very close to a $500 card I find that even with this slight limitation it's still worth it. At any rate it's not like this card is diminished in any way. That said the 3.5GB limit may be worrying, but what surprises me pleasantly is the fact that they managed to still engineer the last 512mb to at the very least read. Unlike the GTX 660Ti, which can't read or even use the last section since it doesn't have the full memory bus or ROP count. All in all, not bothered. Mistakes happen and this one is relatively minor. I mean anyone remember the absurdly slow in comparison 2900XT? Yeesh.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You likely won't see this if you've unsubscribed, but I'm guessing English isn't your first language and I don't want anyone else reading this thread to memorise the wrong meaning of the word. The definition you have quoted is incorrect; intention has everything to do with something being a lie. Forget 'Hyperdictionary,' let's go straight to the Oxford English Dictionary:
    There is a usage of lie which does not require intentional deceit, but only in a very specific context:
    As you can see, definition 1.1 does not apply in the context of your post; you used the word as in definition 1, which does require intention to deceive and therefore is an incorrect usage as it has yet to be proven that Nvidia had an intention to deceive.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

What the actual fark?

Cats were the first to land on the moon and will beat us to Mars - FACT.

There is nothing you can do to prove me wrong.

Unsubscribing thread.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dude, I'm still living with an ATi Radeon 1650XT. :waah:

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

So are you saying all tech sites are nothing more than PR machines, advertising channels for every company they review hardware for ? If so why do you read them if you don't trust their impartiality.

Some sites have to buy the hardware they review, some get given hardware.

6. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

Tech sites that push products is hardly new or news.

It is a fact.

Not ALL do it, use your own discretion.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Was this posted already?

8. dewidaniels

dewidaniels What's a Dremel?

I just checked the review of the MSI GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4G on page 20 of the December 2014 issue of Custom PC. It reads, "Elsewhere, the full 4GB of GDDR5 memory again runs at 7GHz (effective) across the same 256-bit interface, and all 64 ROPs are intact too". We now know this statement to be false. Is Custom PC going to correct this review in their next issue?

The best explanation of this issue I have found is at http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970. That article presents a summary of a telephone interview with NVIDIA's Jonah Alben, SVP of GPU Engineering. The article states, "First, despite initial reviews and information from NVIDIA, the GTX 970 actually has fewer ROPs and less L2 cache than the GTX 980. NVIDIA says this was an error in the reviewer’s guide and a misunderstanding between the engineering team and the technical PR team on how the architecture itself functioned".

While NVIDIA seem to be claiming the performance penalty is in the 4-6% range, posters at http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18651061 have reported severe stuttering when VRAM usage exceeds 3.5GB, and Overclockers UK are now offering refunds to purchasers of GTX 970s on the grounds that the product is not as described.

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Last edited: 30 Jan 2015
  10. Georgecaldwell

Georgecaldwell What's a Dremel?

How do we know it is using it correctly? How do you know that about any benchmark then? You use the benchmark on several cards! Is it not obvious? It makes me sick when people like you try to make up any excuse to defend these companies, even after they have clearly ripped people off! So basically you are saying you don't care about getting what you paid for? Why are people today such cowards, and willing to rollover to anyone? You cowards make me sick! If this pattern keeps up, People like you will begin accepting counterfeit graphics cards! And then your excuse will be some mindless drivel like this! {Well I did not pay a huge amount, And it works, So I did not get ripped off! You are just a conspiracy theorist.} And then it will get even worse! You will start paying for stuff and never get it! And then you will speak even more mindless drivel like this {Well I did not loose that much money, these companies work hard and have to deal with allot, You should not be so hard on them, Stop being a conspiracy theorist, I did not get ripped off, I just paid them money and never got my product} And that pretty much sums people like you up!

Last edited: 3 Sep 2015
  11. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Such passion!

But please don't bump a thread that died seven months ago to launch an unnecessary tirade against another user.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Never Mind.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2015
  13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Thanks bro. Want me to delete the evidence?

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not fussed TBH, everyone's entitled to an opinion.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hey guys, what's up?-- Oh, never mind...

/quietly closes door again

16. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds