1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 14 Nov 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Reaper_Unreal

Reaper_Unreal Minimodder

Wow! I absolutely MUST have one of those. Shame about the HD failure though, would've liked to see the NFS:Underground 2 (or now that the NFS:Most Wanted PC Demo is out that one) settings. But still, seems like fairly decent value. I won't be selling me X850XTPE just yet, but it's still fantastic to see something that fast.

3. PA!N

PA!N What's a Dremel?

Ohhh baby, that card is f****** evil, I love it! :naughty: :rock:

4. Ab$olut

Ab$olut What's a Dremel?

Looks sweeeet :D can't wait till these babies get to affordable prices :rock: :D

5. silent_project

silent_project What's a Dremel?

WOW! Its a good thing i have decided to wait on buying a video card, it'll be interesting to see what US availability and pricing will do , as well as see what sort of hit the other cards on the market take. I am amazed by the brute force power of that monster...sweeet!

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Any chance you can test the headroom in the card overclocking wise?
    Can you confirm that its running 1.1ns ddr? And finally (lol) how much hotter does the card run that the standard GTX?

7. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was totally gutted when it died - took me the best part of 6 hours to even enter my office, nevermind sit down infront of the PC to start writing up what I had got.

I was really looking forward to nailing a full review on this. Oh well, from what I've seen the card kicks ass and I think you can safely say that it'll be faster in the remaining games we test, based on how the XFX 7800 GTX Extreme performs in comparison.

The one that I'm really interested in is City of Villains, because no card has been able to play that game at 1600x1200 with AA yet. This one might have the legs to do just that.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I understand about AA and AF, but what do TSS and QA mean? Not seen these acronyms explained before. I'm assuming it's differences in the anti-aliasing techniques involved, do ATI and nVidia use different ones then?

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

10. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

wow cheapest i found is £499 inc vat

11. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

ATi must be getting used to this by now - they soft launch what sounds like a great product, but as soon as they actually manage to get it into retailers NVidia turns around and pummels them into dust by hard launching a product that sends ATi's latest and greatest running to it's mummy.

12. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

OMG god. Now this is the top, of the top of the line. Leadteks timing is perfect. Talk about pissing on ATi's Parade. As a Canadian and as a person living only miles away from ATi's HQ I am proud to see them fall. I hate Ati for fouling on the performance of there X1xxx series.

I got to say that this card is very impresive. Mainly because the card has very impressive clock speeds and also features 512mb of video memory. Well as you guys might remember that in the past that a card with stock speed and more memory were not as great in performance in the lower resolutions, but with a higher clock speed the more memory latency is balanced out.

I will like to Thank Nvidia for creating such a scalable video card, and for Leadtek for bring us 512mb and impressive 550/1700Mhz clocks.

I would like to see a card that has dual GPU or dual GPU core with two independent 256mb memory. I also remember hear that the new driver from Nvidia due to release will support 4 cores. Mean that we can possibly have 2 cards with 2 GPU’s in SLI soon.

I got say that Leadteks innovation on this card has impressed me a lot. Ghost Recon 3 on this bad boy will be great.

13. buzz_lips

buzz_lips What's a Dremel?

It's a good card but the price is silly, I gave in and payed £380 for my 1800xt and that was shall we say pretty much on the limit!!

Are there gonna be plenty of these cards or are they limiting supply?

14. [sinz]

[sinz] What's a Dremel?

Newegg has these available from XFX, BFG, and eVGA all for $749. I WISH I had the money to spend to get one :/

15. PUTALE

PUTALE What's a Dremel?

wow, I just want any 7800.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Well I suppose it does the job, and does it well; however, I refuse to pay more for my video card my processor, motherboard, RAM and hard drive combined.

Hopefully I'm not the only one who thinks the video card wars are starting to get a little ridiculous.

-monkey

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

Everyone seems to be going in above MSRP for the moment, which sucks. Cheapest I've seen so far in the UK is £499.

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

as far as your aware are there any differences in the gpu for those 550MHz clocks, or is it just the cooling?

edit: ok ive just soiled myself, thought that i may get one of these for the silly clocks (the bfg one is 580 core :jawdrop: ) and then sell off my 7800GT when im back in the UK, but newegg seems to be selling them for $750, sod that :duh:

Last edited: 14 Nov 2005
  19. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

Anandtech got bf2 running at 2048x1536 with 4xAA with 46fps. This card would be great to connect to a large HDTV that supports 1080P and be able to play games at native resoution. Maybe sli this badboys and have fear running at 1080p also. That would sweet Fear on a 73" screen

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

They've made some tweaks to the process to allow it to run at higher speeds, as far as I know. The GPU remains the same though.

Tags: Add Tags