1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Apr 2008.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

good enough answer for me
    *starts saving up*

2. laynesassepd

laynesassepd TECH

This just makes me happy i bought a 8800 GTX early last year. I always said if games came out that my 8800 GTX couldn't play the price of the 8800 GTX would be cut in half, looks like I am getting more and more corect on this issue. I did read somewhere I think here that we are coming to an end on how GPU's play our games, the artical said something to the effect that we are getting to the point of realizm that no matter how powerful a card getts it is not going to look any better. this might be true as the 9800GTX is nothing new 12-06 to 04-08 = +/- a year and a half and is still about the same. I'm sure I wasnt the only one that thought that the 9800 GTX was going to be much better.

3. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

Deep review.

I hold nothing against the decision to release a not-much-difference successor, and this card seems to fit that purpose. The article gave me an interesting idea about a possible future video card market: releasing more video cards, more frequently, with smaller differences in performance improvement (I know, the similarities of this principle to episodic gaming has also struck me sideways). Not only would the video cards be cheaper (in theory), but you wouldn't have this enormous gaping, goatsie-like hole of a performance jump from low- and typical-range video card owners to the enthusiast (that would be us). The game-playing performance difference between the general public and enthusiasts would shrink considerably, presenting everyone with a relatively equal opportunity to play the same games in the same presentation/fidelity. The only problem with this concept is that its success banks entirely on the users' video card turnover rate being high enough to recuperate the lost profit on very low-priced product.

Now, although this 9800 GTX does fulfill the 'smaller gains' objective of my envisioned discrete graphics market, it totally fumbles with the 'low price' initiative, especially after taking into consideration the readily-available, considerably cheaper, fundamentally-the-same-card 8800 GTS 512MB and its other notable siblings: the 8800 GT, 8800 GTX 8800 GTS 640, and 9600 GT.

4. Xir

Xir Modder

…Hmmm, I've reread teh 8800GT article, where it's stated that the 8800GT is largely at par with the 8800GTS 640 and close behind the 8800GTX.
    So how does this very popular card* compare with the new 9800GTX?

Xir

*no fears, I don't have one

5. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The problem with that theory is that every revision, no matter how minor, requires a certain amount of retooling. Unless the revision (which also has research and development costs) saves significant costs for the supplier it's cheaper to just keep making the same chips. Also, without decent jumps in performance between generations most users would see little need to upgrade - sort of like the current situation. Those jumps help keep the market going.

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

theres no reason for nvidia to pour money into developing a new GPU when theres no need/competition so im not suprised why the 9 series is weak.

tis a shame that the 8's dont throttle back on power usage I had to install a mako reactor when i bolted in my 3rd GTX

7. MilkMan5

MilkMan5 Yeah man...

I guess we will have to wait and see what Intel will bring to the market!
    Hopefully by the end of the year, we will have Intel, nVidia and ATI.

8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

whats with the bold typeface in hte past several posts?

9. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Not quite the leap forward id expected tbh. It just seems too weak to be a viable upgrade?!

Perhaps they have the tech to produce a much faster card but dont want to show there best hand, with new ATi cards round the corner?

10. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

well the 9900 is expected to be released around the same time that the new ATI cards are coming out so this is just a filler probably until then.

11. BlueOcean

BlueOcean What's a Dremel?

Runing 3 way sli 9800 GTX graphic cards. Need a hight power supply!. I want a evga 8800GT or superclocked?

Tags: Add Tags