1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 768MB and 1GB Graphics Card Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 12 Jul 2010.

1. Redsnake77

Redsnake77 Useless Idiot

If ATI fealt it was necessary you could see their cards discounted tomorrow. Discounting to retailers for current stock can be done in a number of ways, from rebates to bigger discounts on future orders, free stock sent based on numerous sales metrics. They'll have a fairly sizable team working on it right now, analysing the impact the new 460 models could have on the market, with several plans to choose from depending on availability. If there's only going to few tens of thousands of cards available worldwide for the next 6 to 8 weeks ATI may not feel the need to change anything too soon. Maybe a small price redection in the next 5 to 14 days, to encourage any consumers that 'have to have' a new gpu now and can't find a 460 in stock not to wait, then as stock levels improve on the 460s ATI will get more aggressive. They could also come out all guns blazing and drop the prices very steeply straight away and cut off the supply of the 'price/performance on nothing else matters' buyer to nvidia. The next few weeks will be very interesting to say the least. Will this also push ATI into releasing more info on their refresh sooner?

2. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think they release their revision before xmas.. imagine the prices on these mid range cards come black friday =] I kind of miss being able to build a box flatscreen monitor/keyboard/mouse and all for around 300-350 bones.. used to do that for a real estate office

might be able to build a leobeater box for 500 end of year though..

3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Looks like my Utgard project is set to become an SLI folding rig :-D

Anyone want to buy an Asus EAH5850/2DIS/1GD5??? Only 4 months old...

4. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

What I'd really like to see, is some comparison to some of the older cards.

Mainly, GTX 260, 4890, 8800GT.

Which, IMO, are the cards predecessors, (and pre-predecessors, :D)

And due to games getting patches, and driver updates, its not really that relevant looking at a 4890 review at release and be able to compare it to these scores.

5. steve30x

steve30x What's a Dremel?

I would love know how my GTX280 compares to one of these or two in sli. I need an upgrade from my GTX280 which is two years old now.

6. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

Wow, I come back and ATI actually have some competition...

7. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Would be interesting to see Gainward make a custom cooler golden sample 460. My current 260 may be getting a big brother :p

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I can't imaging that the GTX460 will be much better than a GTX280. Especially as the GTX280 was the top end of the last gen, and the 460 is mid'ish of current.

The GTX280 has still got plenty of life left in it, or so I've been told.

9. skreenname

skreenname SFF Forever

What is card manufacturers fetish with sticking connectors in he middle of the Vent for the High-end cards?
    THEY NEED THAT VENT TO BREATHE.
    STOP IT.

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

nice. i want one.

need one.

yeah im getting one.

11. miester7

miester7 My single core cpu plays crysis

12. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

This site has included those older cards. I can't vouch for the test rig/methodology but here's a link to their Crysis results:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GeForce_GTX_460_Cyclone_OC_1_GB/10.html

13. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

14. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

15. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

By way of a PS: what I like about those Techpowerup figures is that my 4890 is within a nat's whisker behind or even infront at 1900x1200 of not just the 1gb 460 but so near to the 5850 I feel absolutely no pressing need to go out and replace it.

If you can find a good one (usually no more than £130) get a 4890 and wait for the Next gen.

16. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Hardewarecanucks has a chart where it includes the GTX285. Not too shabby.

17. Teh C

Teh C Arg

nVidia have made a nice package with this card. Good price, much lower power consumption, much lower heat. SLi benches are coming in and they scale very well.

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I assume I'm going to be told off for being "negative", but isn't this just two reviews of cards that differ only in the amount of memory?

At the same time as the site gets rebranded with graphics promoting... those cards?

I wonder what's going on here. Or do I actually have a very good idea what's going on here?

19. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Well to be fair Phil, the cards were pretty good performers. It's still BT review for all I know.

20. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

A non-disclosure agreement expired at midnight - all the ads and reviews were lined up by people for this very occasion. Ad-space is valuable in times of new product launches.

And yes, the memory's different. Traditionally, this meant that at higher resolutions, the card with higher memory could keep gaming, whereas the lower memory-equipped card wouldn't. That's NOT the case here. Yes, the 768MB card is a couple of frames slower on average, but it's not enough to differentiate between playable and unplayable in any of the games tested, at any resolution, with any amount of AA. That's why, if anyone were to ask me, I'd point them in the direction of the cheap 768MB MSI card, and tell them to get their hands on Afterburner.

Tags: Add Tags