1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old pentium 3

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seebul, 25 Mar 2006.

1. seebul

seebul Minimodder

My friends given my this old pentium 3 to have a look at because it has a problem with it, i was wondering if you guys could help. The computer boots up sort of, it gets to the WinXP loading screen and then just restarts itself :confused: It does this over and over again.....
    I took out the hard drive and tried it in 3 old pc's as a slave and they all came up with the blue screen 'beginning physical memory dump'
    Any ideas whats wrong??

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Tried a different harddisk in it? Sounds as though the disk is hosed and the installation is crapped. Try a reformat, if it's still buggered try a new disk.
    If it blue screens with an 8 character HEX then it's a memory error, if it's a page fault in non paged it's an IO or memory error.

3. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I think the more pressing question is: why are you running XP on a P3?

Edit: Ok, it's not a pressing question.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2006
  4. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

ozstriker, thats hardly a pressing question. The later Tualatins run XP just fine. Sounds like a buggered install to me; either by the install itself or the hard drive. Do what bindi said and it should work again :)

5. Guest-2867

Guest-2867 Guest

Hmm, sounds like a borked install or driver problems

does it boot succesfuly in safe mode ?

6. seebul

seebul Minimodder

No, safemode doesn't boot. Im trying to reinstall windows on it now, but im getting problems. When windows is installing it keep saying '**** file was not copied correctly'

7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Sounds like the drive could be screwed then, if it's failing at copying files.

8. Agamer

Agamer Minimodder

I agree with the dead harddrive.

You could always run memtest to check the ram as well, diagnostics always help.

9. Strategy

Strategy Banned

Have you tried using a diff IDE cable..?

10. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I have this same problem, except worse. I put the messed up drive into another computer, and it said it was unformatted. Then when I tried to put a drive with win2k on it already into the messed up pc, it wouldn't boot and screwed up another hard drive! Now I've got 2 computers that don't work. Im still trying to fix it though, Ill post here if I can repair it. :(

11. lizard.boy

lizard.boy What's a Dremel?

My guess: The capacators are fried. If you open the case and find some brownish looking goo (probably crusty) then you have bad caps, and need to replace them. I have an msi mobo in my closet with this same problem but I havent gotten around to getting new capacators.
    You can probably find more info to help you diagnose on http://badcaps.net/

12. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

lizard.boy, these dont sound like a symptom of capacitor issues - and the P3 era ended before the capacitor plague.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Not necessarily. My i815 mobo died of capacitor leakage.