1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs One, Two, Seven - get ready for the recovery

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 21 Sep 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

for exciting AMD stuff read 5800 series :)

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

The news on the 5890? Although other sources have mentioned it so maybe it can't be that... But yeah has been a bit slow recently... looking forward to some big advancements!

4. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hope both nvidia & ati pull there fingers out soon (at least there is some ati news) i've had my gpu since last july (GTX 280) and the only real improvement since then has ben a die shrink - not exactly ground breaking.

5. Xir

Xir Modder

...volume seems to go up at least ;-)

6. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Interesting times at last. A truly competitive AMD is better for everyone (bar Intel).

Appart from the recession, how much of the slowdown could also be atributed the likes of the PhenomI failure, Nvidia dragging its heels over DX10.1 and the slating Vista initialy got?

As for a site revamp, tread carefull. The current layout is the best of any review site arround! But widescreen options and a interactive review results database would not go amiss. :D

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

waiting for nvidia's next ridiculous press announcement on the day of the 5800 release

8. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I don't think this year is uninteresting at all to be honest.

Graphics has seen 4 pretty interesting releases: GTX 295, GTX275, HD4890, HD4770.
    On the processor-front there's the X58-socket that's still evolving, and AMD is finally back in the game with Phenom II and Athlon II. On top of that Lynnfield has hit the shelves.
    SSDs have finally been perfected, first by Indilinx (Vertex, Falcon), and later by Intel (affordable X25-M G2).
    HDDs are still getting bigger, hitting 2TB and very affordable drives start at 1,5TB
    PSUs are slowly but surely starting to meet the requirements for Gold.
    Windows 7 is brewing, and has had very interesting RC and Beta programs.
    New nettops and netbooks, and lapnets and whatnots are raining down left and right.
    Motherboards on the mATX format are getting more and more mature.
    Onlive is betatesting.
    Screen prices are freefalling.

And it's still september, there's a lot more to come!
    Just today, ATI now launches the 5-series (surely, you know this, right? ;)), and reVidia will likely launch GT300 this year.
    Intel is brewing on Gulftown, Westmere and Callendale/Clarksdale stuff, not to mention Larrabee.
    The Lucid Hydra chip is due to overturn the multi-GPU market in 30-ish days.

For me, that's enough for a year, although not all the announced stuff will likely make it before we hit 2010. Just today me and my colleague were just giddy with excitement over the prospect of building a "new-generation" rig, all with new stuff:
    - P55 with Hydra
    - i7 860
    - ATI HD5870 (or two!)
    - Intel G2 X25-M 80GB SSD
    - 1,5TB EcoGreen disk
    - three 24-inch screens

All this will fit inside 2000 euros, a price that bought you WAY less a year ago. c'mon Tim, get excited! :clap:

Tags: Add Tags