1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Online monestization for Call of Duty?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

so not only have they gave us a DIRECT console port game now they are gunna start charing us for it too when the next direct port comes out. awesome guys just awesome

3. Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter What's a Dremel?

Question is, is this PC only or will it include consoles too?

Also, forgive if I am wrong but I am a little out of the loop on PC things, did they not get rid of dedicated servers? If that's the case what's the charge for?

As for the console side of things, I already pay a sub for my XBox Live Gold membership, no way I will pay addtional fees to play particular games online.

4. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Activision are becoming like EA was.

They will burn themselves if they carry out this money grabbing strategy. People will abandon them just like they abandoned EA.

5. Autti

Autti What's a Dremel?

And people wondered why they had matchmaking and no mod support, hmm maybe because they can force DLC down your throat...

6. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

"Right, the game is £50, and if you want to use dedicated servers that's £7 per month. Oh and I'll chuck in the ability to lean for a one-off payment of £2."

7. SNIPERMikeUK

SNIPERMikeUK What's a Dremel?

Sod off u already started a new higher price for games, greedy....

8. AngusW

AngusW mmm

Lol if they do that nobody will play it!

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

just two words for them:
    "Money grabbers"!

Looks like EA has lost its crown as the top mercenaries

10. fodder

fodder Minimodder

This is a joke, right?

The servers are the users own machines, so no cost to them for 'hosting' the game. Just running that crappy IWnet farce. This (on a pc) would be charging for the right to use it online which should be included in the higher purchase price, after all it is advertised as having online play out of the box and does so at the moment.

It should be noted however that the MP splash screen does say they have the right to remove online play at any time. No master plan there then.

11. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seems Activision Blizzard is just hell-bent on destroying the CoD franchise...

12. Dreaming

Dreaming What's a Dremel?

If there are new maps which they charge for I can see it as they as mutually beneficial. New content for users, more revenue for publishers. In World of Warcraft nobody minds paying because new content is continually being added.

The extra stuff you get though really has to be worth the money, and it's hard to think what you can get 'extra' that isnt gamebreaking (for example, super powerful guns that you have to buy to use give an unfair advantage to people with more money), or that is actually adding something to the Call of Duty magic. They've already got all the game modes pinned down with players, guns, maps, etc. so what more can they offer?

13. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

The way it would work would be like this for Call of Duty 2010 - Modern Warface Universe :

-Multiplayer world vastly expanded - bigger levels with more players on DEDICATED servers.
    -Rolling battles and territorial league tables for sure.
    -New battlezones added alongside new equipment and other 'content'
    -Massive overhaul to character customisation and weapons etc.. think WOW style
    -Supports Clan factions within your designated world zone.
    -Monthly sub to enter the 'Battlezone'

-Free to play though out of the box using rubbish P2P on very small maps with hardly any players. If you want the real MP deal, then you have to sign up to the COD Shooter Universe for £4.99 a month

... and then along comes Battlefield 3 and takes a huge dump on the COD Shooter Universe. Business case now in bin.

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

"monestization" :confused:

15. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

this is literally incredible, a monthly sub to play an fps? i reckon at this point even console players would will start to smell a rat. hilarious

16. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Man when did EA become the saviour, I think i seen this in an episode of sliders. Very weird.

October likes this.
  17. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

I sincerely hope that MW2 online dies off very quickly and COD4 retains a healthy following. It may send a fairly clear message to Activision that the community is everything - screw with it at your peril.

18. general22

general22 What's a Dremel?

Hasn't their been a partial hack for dedicated servers? Won't this throw their idea out the window?

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Most Evil Gaming Company of 2009 Winner: Activision.

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Probably.
    It also depends on whether the changes to the game are detected as cheats by VAC or not.
    Yep. EA, the winners of 2008 edition, will deliver the TrashCan award to Activision in this years cerimony.

Tags: Add Tags