1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OnLive to launch in UK this Autumn

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 3 Jun 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. sleepygamer

sleepygamer More Metal Than Thou

I was playing Amnesia over OnLive only a few days ago. Tiny bit of lag, but otherwise perfect. Video quality was lacklustre, mind you.

3. Spuzzell

Spuzzell What's a Dremel?

Hope it works out for them, I like the technological concept despite having no interest in actually using the service.

I haven't seen anything about it since the US launch, so hopefully since then they have developed a more sane pricing scheme.

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I don't know why, but I really get a feeling this will fail.

Please understand, I don't want them to fail - after all, I'm sure they've put a lot of work into it. Just a gut feeling, is all.

5. _Metal_Guitar_

_Metal_Guitar_ What's a Dremel?

This is nice and all...but in a tiny village in Norfolk, my connection will not be able to support this in the slightest. Guess I can't put my trusty PC to rest just yet.

6. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

Like with most things I'm not interested in this technology in it's early days but could prove to be interesting in the next 5-10 years. What kinda games are available for it right now?

7. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Seriously, I get sick every time I hear about OnLive. And I *DO* want them to fail ...miserably.

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

good technology but fail on the timing the UK has a piss poor broadband infrastructure + its extremely expensive and you dont own anything

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Doomed to fail due to poor speeds and low usage caps of British networks.
    They should of released it through the Scandinavian countries instead.

10. TheLegendJoe

TheLegendJoe Syntax error

I hope they do well, I've tried playing on my connection (47Mb, ~14ms ping) and the video quality was terrible, and there was plenty of lag, but I assume thats because the servers are over in america somewhere...

11. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Having messed around with some of the free trials on onlive I am mildly impressed.

The UI seems nice and clean and there is a decent selection of games available with free trials. I think the major pull for me is being able to try out a game properly before deciding whether or not to buy it (on steam or retail).

The major downsides at the moment are "blotchy" graphics which can detract quite heavily from the gameplay; especially if certain details are missed due to a lack of texture quality, and obviously controller lag. The latter point is a major problem in FPS or Third person shooters although I found games like Dirt 2 completely playable.

Overall I think Onlive is decent but fundamentally flawed as there will always be some level of lag which is a big problem for most PC games. Improved broadband / cable infrastructure will help to a degree but won't ever solve the problem.

12. enciem

enciem Minimodder

As long as it's exclusively linked to BT it will never work out for em

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Only the hardware (console thing and controller I presume) are exclusive to BT (at the moment). You don't need either to use the onlive service.

14. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

they just need an all you can eat monthly package like netflix.......when will netflix hit the uk or even better go international!!!!

15. pimlicosound

pimlicosound What's a Dremel?

16. misterd77

misterd77 What's a Dremel?

if they replicate thier us pricing, thats just £12 a month for unlimited gaming, I would use a 50mb virgin line for this, its just the limited 720p picture and reports of lag that has me questioning if it will work, if its any good, i would get it for the living room,for quick bashes at arcade games with the mates, a bout of fifa and knockout kings, £12 a month is nothing, WOW is around that alone.

17. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

18. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

interesting how it'll work with some of the throttled connections in the UK:

7GB per day before getting a 75% speed reduction on our 20mb virgin media cable package

a quick googling gets a few people saying 720p onlive uses roughly 2.5-3GB per hour

= you may only get ~3hours gametime per day before your connection cripples itself.

19. SBS

SBS What's a Dremel?

Seriously?

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

fail service is fail:

tested on wi-fi connection on my netbook, very close to wi-fi router without any hotspots near by.
    [​IMG]

and then there's the incredible mouse-lag, totally unplayable for FPS games.

might be just about acceptable for casual games such as Plants vs Zombies, but my netbook can already play that fine.

Tags: Add Tags