1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Painting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by RevolMidnight, 8 Mar 2007.

1. RevolMidnight

RevolMidnight What's a Dremel?

ah, I'm such a noob.

Finished cutting the side panel on my practice case. Was painting it neon green... and I suck. I did one layer, it was ok. Definately not even, but not bad. Sanded it. Second layer, dripped paint on the case. Crap. Sanded it. Third layer, I can still see the dripped paint from earlier. Sanded it. Fourth coat, ran out of freakin' paint.

I was painting two side panels at a time. Should I use one can per side panel? Also, any tips on how to paint smoothly?

I might upload pics of my disaster tomorrow. The cut isn't too bad, but the paint... awful.

2. Grundle

Grundle What's a Dremel?

Are you using spray paint?

Do 3-4 very light layers, like the first layer should cover like half of the side and shouldn't look too 'wet'. Then allow like 20 minutes to dry after EACH layer.

3. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

Yeah take your time... painting can take days to complete... and the key is thin thin coats.

4. RevolMidnight

Yeah, spray paint. I think I was patient at first, but put a little too much on towards the end. I'll have to sand it off and try again.

5. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

You've got primer on there, right?

Don't sand it when it's wet. If you sand it when the paint is still wet, you're going to leave marks in pervious layers. Also, if you have drips, don't touch them. Let the whole shebang cure and then sand it away before applying a few new coats.

I usually apply 2-3 very thin layers and then call that one coat. I then sand it lightly and then repeat it 24 hrs (or whatever the can says) later.

Also, are you using a sanding block?

6. RevolMidnight

Just 100 sand paper.

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

8. Stuey

!!!!

100 grit sandpaper is like the roughest toughest stuff you've got out there (aside from metal files) and removes a TON of material.

Pn a painted surface, I use nothing coarser than 600 grit or so, maybe 400 if I'm just starting off.

Like hazardous said - get some more info before you continue. I read plenty painting guides before I started, and still screwed up plenty. Also, if you don't use a sanding block (they sell them for like $3-5), you'll get uneven pressures.

When I got started, I went to Walmart and picked up sheets of the various sizes in the automotive spra paint section: 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 and possibly a few others.

9. RevolMidnight

LOL. I just asked the Home Depot paint dept what grade I should get and that's what they gave me. I'll read a couple of guides.

10. theurgy

theurgy What's a Dremel?

I always prefer getting paint from the auto store... they usually carry the better automotive quality spray paint.

11. Stuey

Walmart carries Duplicolor auto sprays and I've taken a liking to them. They're small and a bit more expensive, but probably cheaper than larger cans at the auto stores.