1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Palit announces passively cooled KalmX graphics card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 10 Feb 2020.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Considering how they keep squawking about how power efficient they are and the enthusiast sectors obsession with getting your rig silent, it's surprising there aren't more fanless designs. Although then again a fan and shroud is probably cheaper than doubling the size of the fin stack.

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

They did a 1050Ti KalmX too - I really wanted to get one but it wasn't too great in terms of bang-per-buck, but I guess that's the price you pay for silence :)

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

But with so many cards able to run either semi-passive modes or low RPM modes mostly silent GPUs are fairly common without the expense of engineering a true passive heatsink.

I really liked the 1050ti Kalmx, but it is a niche product, it's big, expensive for the performance and you still need some airflow from case fans to keep it happy. But it does leave a PC whisper quiet at all times. Which is nice.

The_Crapman likes this.
  5. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

I've had a few fanless and "silent" cards in the past. If you don't have very good airflow in your case, you're never going to have good temps, but the case fans add noise.

I'm curious how any of these would work with an open case design.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Same. But the people after "true silence" aren't really going for very low temperatures, either.

I had an HTPC which was (all but) silent - the only noise you could hear was the HDD when it was accessed, and only in an otherwise totally silent room - with a passive Zotac GT430 and a Noctua heatsink (C14? I forget the exact model but it blew down onto the board, like "stock" coolers) with a 140mm fan and ULNV adaptor in it.

The GT430 didn't "load" much higher than it idled, but I certainly didn't game on it so I imagine it would have become quite toasty if I had. ;)

7. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

My issue was that I was always trying to game. So I was adding HUGE aftermarket coolers to my GPU and CPU and then messing with fan settings to try and get the machine silent. But it always ran hot.

Right now my HTPC is noisy. My 8-bay Drobo is loud all the time and I want to replace the stock fans. The cabinet the PC and Drobo are in needs some cabinet fans to push some air through. My CPU keeps overheating when I play VR, so I've gotten the Corsair Hydro H5 low profile cooler to try and help since the HTPC is packed in a small Silverstone FTZ01 case. I'm hoping I don't overload the PSU since I also have a 2080Ti in the thing.

I don't even care about noise anymore. I just want it to stop overheating.

8. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have a almost silent 1050ti. It’s got a 100mm x 90mm extruded aluminium heatsink plate screwed to it with a 80mm fan on it. Never hear it running.

Tags: Add Tags