1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware PC Hardware Buyer's Guide: August/September 2012

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 31 Aug 2012.

1. Juiblex

Juiblex What's a Dremel?

I just got all the parts in for my ITX board. pretty much followed the posted build to the letter. I found the cast to be fine, actually I really like it. I think it just seems more flimsy than it actually is. I don't plan on having more then 2 hard drives and 1 ssd so the big hard drive cage was unnecessary and removed.

My only issue with the case is there is NO way to put in a CD/DVD drive with the H80 you will need an external drive or a different cooler, the radiator is just too big and no drive is made to 155mm depth which is what you would need.

The Asus motherboard has 1 small issues when installing a video card the front panel HD audio connector is almost completely crushed by the video card.

Last and not really an issue was the Corsair PSU was DOA, only supplied 3V standby and would not switch on even when jumper-ed. The replacement should arrive soon.

2. jifbo

jifbo What's a Dremel?

187.50 on Ebuyer. Cheapest I've seen...
    MSI 7870

3. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

What stopped you from putting the H80 on the front panel? It'd run intake, which means airflow into the machine would be a little warmer, but at last check; all the tubes would make it, and orientated correctly; it'd fit while leaving room for a DVD-drive.

4. Juiblex

Juiblex What's a Dremel?

Good point, I guess when I was laying out everything originally it had the extra Hard Drive box taking up that space I will take a look tonight to see who that would work now that that space is opened up. I would much like to have my optical drive internal as apposed to external.

5. Juiblex

Juiblex What's a Dremel?

Just tried it, no go. the way the front mounting screws are setup gives you 3 options none ideal.
    1. Cut your own mounting holes in a new ~100USD case and keep the Optical drive & lower HD cage.
    2. Lose the upper and lower HD cage and screw down 1-2 SSD drives and/or Velcro your HD to the case. But keep your optical drive.
    3. Jerry rig some kinda of adapter plate to to use the existing 140mm holes to mount the 120mm corsair radiator.
    I think I'm just going to have to go without an optical drive and use an ESATA enclosure for my burner when I need it.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Its difficult to find these prices on sites its always a bit more, the only way I can match them is if a sites doing a sale on a certain component.

7. tom1974

tom1974 What's a Dremel?

This is my first post too!!!!

I have just had a Prodigy gaming rig built for me (cos I just dont have time to built myself) using a Gigabyte GTX670 OC (windforce) and the same Asus MB and it does fit in nicely with the upper drive cage removed and still have sufficient clearance between the end of the card and the case front panel to fit in a low profile 120mm fan (I used Sharkoon Eagle SE Fan which is 25mm deep).

Another mention is that if you ended up removing both upper and lower drive cage (eg. to fit a 240mm radiator at the front) there are actually still 4 other locations you can mount SSD - the right side panel actually has two 2.5" SSD drive cages, and the back of the PSU cage also have mounting points another 2 SSD (although heat could be an issue).

8. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

9. Biomech

Biomech What's a Dremel?

For the love of God, please post photos of how you made this fit! :jawdrop:

I have the same board and H80 in the prodigy case... it does NOT fit.... ok well, I've made it fit (with a BD Drive!) but it's not easy. In a nutshell, there isn't even enough space between the back of the case and the CPU block to fit the radiator and even 1 fan.

I see someone said put it at the front.... well if I hadn't have just spent an hour cramming it into the back I'd try that :p

10. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Is there really not more suitable soundcard than one released in 2008 that requires a freaking Floppy drive power connection?

11. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

Will we be getting a new Hardware Buyer's Guide soon? its been 6 months now.

12. badgerz

badgerz What's a Dremel?

"Our regular guide", time for another update I think guys

13. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

*bump* this needs an update!

and i feel you guys could include a "green build" too, more and more people are increasingly aware of their electricity consumption (due to rising prices amongst other things) and since there are quite a few options out there, i feel this could be a great addition. i would not think of it as a gamer-build or workhorse, but a general-duty computer with reasonable horsepower. think your average htpc for example. debate on fm1/2 platform vs. 1155 (i3). also options if you want or do not want to use a discrete gpu. all of that considering small size & small price ideally of course, although it could be another option to pinpoint alternatives in the accompanying text that are not limited by size or price (think max performance / watt ratio). just think about it.

14. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

PC Hardware Buyer's Guide August 2012

Our regular guide to getting the best components for your PC build,...*(surely this ought to be re edited)

15. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

Update soon?????

Anyone???

16. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

Why don't we have a community led update?

17. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

very regular alright this is...

...not!

18. SpaceBaby

SpaceBaby AKA: Stophon

So are we going to get an update any time soon?

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

bumpity bump bump

20. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

When's the next update due? It's been a while coming.....

Tags: Add Tags