1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PC market decline slowing, says Gartner

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

How is the launch of windows 8 supposed to help PC sales?

It doesn't do anything new, or give any capability to a PC that a PC hasn't had since the mid-90s.

Operating systems are in one sense crucially important, of course - but in another they're a complete irrelevance. Like, say, copper. Or gravel. It just is.

3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

I hope you're trolling.

4. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Why? No, I'm completely serious.

When you launch a console, it has better graphics than the last version, or an attractive launch title, or whatever. Arguably, the same applies to PCs, although the upgrades are, of course, more incremental.

What doesn't really make any difference is the OS. As long as it's compatible with modern software - which, say, Windows 7 is - bumping the version number isn't something that's easy to sell.

I mean, complete the sentence: "You should upgrade to windows 8 over windows 7, in order to get..."

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

"I mean, complete the sentence: "You should upgrade to windows 8 over windows 7, in order to get..."

hmm.. an even less functional PC ?

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

...A touch screen user interface to enable your brand new 2 in 1 device to work in tablet mode.

Sure, that's not a great sales pitch for many (and thats the rub), but it's the big ticket difference for most people.

New OS versions CAN bring key benefits. I'm primarily an OSX user myself, and previous OS updates have given me greater usability improvements than Windows has over the same period, and Yosemite has some genuinely useful and new niceties (Handoff & the ability to handle phone calls from the desktop).

True, most new OS versions don't bring 'much' to the table, but a decent OS revision will add to what is already good and not be too afraid to change what needs changing.

Windows 8 was a toughie, as many benefits were invisible to most people and the major change was a turn off to many.

7. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

this I agree with

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm with Phil on this one...

I used to be a bit of a Windows fanboi until I experimented with linux and realized that...an OS is an OS is an OS.

It's a shell that allows you to access files and programs on a computer. Some are easier to use, some are better optimized for certain applications, some are just plain ugly, but they all do the same thing.

Windows 9 might indeed create a bump in sales as there are some people who are getting ready for a new computer, but don't want to run Windows 8. A certain pent-up demand, as it were. I'm in this category as I'll probably be ready to replace my current machine sometime next year and if W9's UI doesn't make me physically ill the way W8s does then it might be a factor in when I decide to upgrade.

9. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

IE, Im sticking with Windows 7 because it features nothing I care about. And something a large number of people do not care about. I downgraded my father's Acer laptop from 8 to 7 because he couldnt stand it. He even stated that Vista is superior to 8, which I happen to agree....