1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Petition launched to save XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 15 Jan 2008.

1. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

A big pile of steaming **** :D

2. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

Bad Bad microsoft. Would just cause the amount of windows xp being pirated to be bigger in the long run.

3. adamc

adamc What's a Dremel?

asides from trifling problems with itunes and quicktime, my vista x64 is running perfectly and was a brilliant upgrade over XP!

4. slugbug

slugbug Going Broke Saving Money

Vista reminds me a lot of Windows ME. Either it works great for you or it doesn't.

5. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Death to xp

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I prefer Vista over XP, it's a nice change to me over XP. It is rather clunky, but so was XP when it first came out. If you have a decent rig, Vista is going to be happy. Nothing much to worry about it being more bloated than XP.

Whether you like it or not, Vista is here to stay. It's just going to become more standardized just like XP has.

7. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

I couldn't disagree more. Who would want to "upgrade" to something that is slower and has virtually no noticeable changes aside a pretty interface and DX10? If the world liked Vista OEMs would not have gone back to offering XP after going Vista only at first. All the cool stuff that was supposed to make Vista awesome (WinFS for example) was scrapped, and in the end all you get is a sludgy and more annoying XP. Look at any Vista optimization guide, they all basically turn Vista into XP again...

Face it MS, you released something that sucks and no one wants. Stop trying to be Google and Apple, and make an OS that is actually revolutionary.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Have Vista installed since September, used it some in September and October, used it once in November and another time in December and havent used it at all in 2008.
    Classify it as unreliable and a waste of money.

9. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Tbh it poses problems for some system builds. If I have a few old pieces that I want to bung together and want to legally run Windows, I'm hardly going to run Vista on a 1GHz Athlon and 256MB RAM and XP would be the best option. If it's not available then the only easy choice is to pirate it. Bad move.

For everyone who says kill XP, Vista is best. Vista is not the best choice for all machines.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I like Vista, but as a gamer, I want my games to work with as little fuss as possible - I currently use a dual boot system and if I can't get a game to work in Vista easily I'll use XP to run it.

Couldn't get Titan Quest to work a few weeks back due to a missing .dll file. That I think is the major problem with Vista and Joe public, a game (especially one as recent as Titan Quest) should work out of the box without having to source files which were in DX9 and should still be in DX10 but has been removed by MS.

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I used to be of the mind set that I wanted to keep XP but having stuck with Vista and actually forced myself to live with it and get used to it I must say that I can't be happier to see XP go.

Those who want it to stay alive either use old software or don't have a modern enough system to cope with Vista.
    The same happened when XP came out, people cried and said "but XP am work slower on my machinezors", but a year or so later most people upgraded and had no issues with speed and better software replaced the old software and life was good.
    It's once again at that transition period.

Those who love XP will stick with it for a long time and fair enough, why buy a new OS if you don't NEED it. Those who buy new systems will have enough power for Vista and will probably either install it themselves, install an old XP that they already have if they want XP that much, or have Vista pre-installed and wont know the difference anyway.

I just wish people would stop fearing progression

12. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 17 Feb 2008
  13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I hate that expression.

14. kempez

kempez modding again!

Not even close. I mean, come on....ME didn't work for anyone :eyebrow::confused:

QFT, well said :rock:

Vista runs great with a high spec machine and 64bit with 4GB RAM is a dream. I've had no more issues with Vista than I had I first had with XP, far less in fact.

Businesses will continue to get support from MS as they have done for previous operating systems but eventually as machine life cycles go through Vista will also be the norm

Let's move on and stop moaning :wallbash:

15. manjowithane

manjowithane What's a Dremel?

Will you still be able to carry on requesting xp product keys from Microsoft if you need to activate again?

16. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

QFT, installed since march 2007, yet to have any problems with it, other than some lacking drivers in the early days which are now resolved.

ByeBye XP :cooldude:

17. koola

koola Minimodder

I hated vista, so much I jumped ship to Apple although I still bootcamp winxp for uni apps. OS 10.5 is great, love it :D

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Just after the launch of Vista, I wrote a magazine article involving some computer hardware I knew wouldn't work under Vista. Microsoft, when approached for a review copy of XP, declined, saying they needed to promote Vista.

"But it won't work," I said. "I know it won't work. It will definitely not work. It absolutely won't work. No worky."
    "Yes it will," they said.

So I went and bought a copy of XP. This is the mentality you're dealing with.

19. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

now i have to go change my pant /offtopic. IMO vista is better then xp but nowhere near as good as a decent linux distro

20. FR34K

FR34K What's a Dremel?

one thing is for sure...vista won't set foot(figuratively speaking) on any machine I will ever own...or in any house I live in.
    Half of it's processes are a waste, and an excuse to sell more hardware that you normally wouldn't need in the first place.

I'm in the boat of converting to unix/linux...it's worth learning a new OS.
    All M$ has going for it now anyway is compatibility and popular games, which they pretty much have control over cause they have the money to basically make themselves the standard.

As for holding XP out, they should...at least until they're 100% sure Vista will keep going.

Tags: Add Tags