1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PPD/TPF on my rig

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Rrruby, 16 May 2012.

1. Rrruby

Rrruby What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

I currently have a 1090t @3.4GHz, put it's TPF are all over the shot from 6 mins to 49 mins, and my PPD is averaging at about 100. I do also have a HD6950 folding, which manages around 3 min TPF, and is very consistent, averaging 8600PPD. I don't have them on all day everyday folding, but I've seen other users getting much higher theoretical PPD than I am on the CPU. I guess it'll be lower because the GPU is running of the CPU, but it still doesn't sound right to me.

Any tips to improve this?

If you need any more info I'll try to supply it!

2. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

The GPU folding will be using a significant amount of CPU time. Work out the average TPF for the CPU client over a couple of hours. Now pause the GPU and calculate the new average TPF for the CPU client. You have a 6 core CPU so if the GPU is slowing down the CPU by more than 16.7% then you may be better off running SMP on 5 cores and let the GPU have 1 core.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

the smp client will, last I checked, only run on an even number of cores, so if you set it to 5, it would run on 4.

also if you're using the pc as your day-to-day pc, any programs you use will take CPU time away from f@h and may contribute to the erratic tpf

4. Rrruby

Rrruby What's a Dremel?

I tried running just the GPU client to see what it takes out of preference, and it uses about 22% of my CPU. I set the SMP client to run on 4 cores, and the SMP client now is on about 1.3k PPD. This PC is my main, but I'm revising for exams at the mo, so it's only f@h running.

Thanks for that slow lemon, but, after doing some reading on the interweb, most 1090t's are running at 8k+ PPD. Now is this because I'm not yet earning bonus points? Idk if they make a huge difference, and i know I'm running a GPU too, but I guess I expected more. Is that wrong?

5. Slowlemon

Slowlemon What's a Dremel?

Hi Rrruby

1. To get bonus on SMP work units you need to get a passkey from Stanford and complete 10 SMP WUs after you set up the passkey.
    2. The bonus is normally a lot more than the base points.
    3. If a 1090T can get 8000PPD on 6 cores it will get about 4354PPD on 4 cores. PPD is proportional to (Clock speed x No of cores) to power 1.5. (This is only true if you are getting bonus)
    4. If you are folding part time then you will get a lot less points on SMP. Again the ratio is (Hours folding per day / 24) to power 1.5
    5. GPU work units have no bonus points so the PPD will simply be proportional to the time spent folding.

6. Rrruby

Rrruby What's a Dremel?

I'd read a previous thread and already obtained a passcode, however not completed 10 units yet. I know that I'm not going to physically earn what a rig gets running 24/7, but the PPD counter should be the same regardless. Thanks for the formulas too! Quite helpful. I also didn't know that GPU's don't earn bonuses. Solved my problem, thanks! +1 Rep too