1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project : Ammo Box Custom Case

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ozzylow, 22 May 2011.

1. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

New to forums, I don't know how I have never found this place, spent the day going through some of the many project logs on here and I'm very impressed, the skills some people have on here are ridiculous, I don't know how some people get these skills. This mod has already been started just getting it up to date in the topic now to show you where im at with the progress now

I took the time to read ' How to Write a Project Log ' and ' How To Take Better Photographs Of Your Mod ' I have learnt a lot that I can't definitely put into this project log and others in the future. Wish I found this site earlier.

Not sure if Xbox 360 Mods are looked down on here, I know it's a computer dominated hobby, but my interests are more in line with the Xbox 360's

Anyway onto the Scratch Build Project, this project was first started July last year.

Ideas started coming to mind to make a First Person Shooter themed case, and of course Call of Duty comes to mind at first for me, so after a bit of brainstorming I came up with the idea of using some Ammo Boxes for the base of the project, at the time I thought this was pretty unique, never have I at the time seen an Xbox anything like this, until I started looking into the computer case mods, where I have now seen quite a few Ammo Boxes been used, so my new idea ended up being something that has been done before several times over.

I could not find a big enough ammo box at the local army surplus store so I decided to stack one on top of another to make up the height I needed for the height of the motherboard.

I did want to keep the original look of the Ammo Boxes, keep most switches and buttons away from plain view and had the disc drive stealthed to fit nicely with the case.

With the new Xbox Dashboard update USB Flash Drives were now able to be used as a storage device, so save your user profile, game saves and other downloads.

Project log mistake 1, Do not use a camera phone, these photos look terrible but this was my first log, and just a bit further into the project log I got a DSLR camera, the picture quality is far better. Please don't let this keep you from looking at the rest of the log.

Thanks to my local modding shop. Hills District Console Mods for the Sponsership, a Talismoon Whisper Max Fan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The idea of the case mod, to have the too ammo boxes stacked together

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lined the boxes up and made the first cut with a metal cutting disc on the angle grinder

[​IMG]

Size comparison, so you can see how much bigger the Xbox is compared to the bottom box

[​IMG]

Rear of the bottom box, drilled the holes to allow for the standard fans to keep the original ventilation

[​IMG]

I tack welded the boxes together and finished the welding off, I then used some filler to level out the join and finished it up with a coat of primer

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jun 2011
  2. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Started to cut the slot for the disc drive, for some reason i got it into my head that i needed it longer then the actual disc drive so if i did open up the top case i could do it with the disc drive open. Which i don't think there would ever be a reason to open the case while the Disc drive is open. Confusing a bit. Cut it then had to fill it again to make up for my mistake

[​IMG]

Continued on with the rear air vent and fan holes, i think i did go a little over board, but the first generation Xbox 360's do have overheating issues. Ethernet, USB, HDMI and AV Ports also cut out. Next mod that i do, i will spend the time making these a lot cleaner, this is my first modding project, but i have learnt a tonne of new things.

[​IMG]

As you can tell now, i have the DSLR working again no more cheap looking iphone photos

[​IMG]

The first Xbox Motherboard that was used for this project. Red Ring of Death and some other problems happened. First time soldering anything like this before, Expensive project to learn on

Wired the fan to pull the warm air off the GPU Heatsink

[​IMG]

Bottom Case in Primer

[​IMG]

3. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Welcome to bit-tech ozzy.. I can't wait to see more from this.
    I love mods that don't look like computers at all.

4. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Xbox mods are great and we dont see enough of them here, I'm happy to see this being done

5. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the welcome. Not to sure if the Xboxs are welcome on here, but i just like to share my modding around to get different ideas and opinions. The ideas i have got from this forum help a lot.

I took apart the Microsoft Wireless Adapter, i was thinking of placing it inside, but the outside was looking a little plain, i opened it up from its original case and bought a small hobby box made some minor adjustments to make it fit and have the antenna poking out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quick coat of paint

[​IMG]

Painted the base and part of the top Ammo Box, i have this problem where i get to impatient and always have to spray some primer or some color, i cant wait to get it all done, a bad habbit that i have to kick.

[​IMG]

Purchased some of these, they are wall sockets for USB so i could use some of the USB ports inside the case on the outside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some filler to clean up the Disc Drive area, and to the right you can see where the USB port will be

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

This is how the project sat for a few months, due to lack of money. I threw together a quick USB out of a plastic grenade, i later scrapped the grenade.

[​IMG]

Alot of the internal work, wiring and LEDs still had to be done, only a few weeks ago have i just got into finishing this proect.

So back to the project, started back from this

[​IMG]

Disc Drive Open

[​IMG]

I made a small Disc Drive cover from some styrene sheeting, had to dremel off and level the disc drive so it would sit level.

[​IMG]

Went with a more basic USB

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Painted the top color then taped it off so i could then spray the lighter green. Its worth spending the money on proper painters tape, it is under there, dont try using masking tape it does not work any where near as good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice work!

The USB stick feels a lil out of place imho. The rest is great!

8. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

The original plan was to always get the original text back onto the Ammo Boxes, had the idea to get some vinyl stickers made up, but i don't think it would look close enough to the original text.

[​IMG]

I was looking at ordering the stickers for the sides and other small things, comes out to be $54 which im not wanting to spend that on it, i dont think it will look to originsl either, so i decided i will go with the stencil. Easier said then done.

First i tried to cut out the text carefully with a razor blade, definatly time consuming cutting these letters out on a piece of paper. Only cut a few letters out just to test and see how it works

[​IMG]

Set it up and taped it ( progress shot, i did alot more prep work then this )

[​IMG]

So i have decided to go with just buying a stencil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made a square to spray through, saves me alot of time this way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Came out really nice, im happy that i went with the stencils, the stickers would of not looked nice at all. Stencil looks authentic

[​IMG]

Finishing off the stencil work on the bottom box, i decided to leave all over spray and small marks on it, it definatly adds to the effect of the ammo boxes. Starting to get close to finishing this case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is where im at now, more progres coming, i got a USB cable from the previous post that has to be cut at one end and change from a Female USB to Male

9. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

The grenade version or the basic one. I probably should of had this hidden.

10. bruce_rob

bruce_rob What's a Dremel?

11. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

looking great! I agree that the USB stick looks a little out of place, but it isn't bad. Another option could be to install the USB port(s) in a rifle magazine (the curved banana-type) and install that somewhere on the mod (looking like it was resting there). You could also install the port on the front between the lid and the handle catch - it would be mostly hidden from sight.

Also, what is the hole on the bottom for?

Overall though, I like it!

12. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Nice idea with the rifle magazine, would come out good, the idea under the handle catch i will do, i have another spare cable, and i should not waste any USB ports. Ill start work on that today

The hole will be cleaned up, bit rough right now, its for the SATA cable from the disc drive, it hangs out just a bit.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice work indeed. I probably wouldn't have smoothed the join between the boxes, just bolted them together underneath to maintain the illusion of separation.

Nice stencilling too!

14. NavidsonRecord

NavidsonRecord Where the bloody hell are ya'?

those marking on those ammo tins better have made up NATO and lot numbers on it or you may get a call from Defence DEOPS unit lol
    Looks nice but!

15. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Sorry about the lack of updates, been extreamly busy. Has been an extreamly busy 14 months. Got engaged, married and now having a baby in that space of time.

I will take some better final photos to complete the project, nicer location and ill get some Army supplies and props to make a nice photoshoot. It will be the perfect way to finish the build off, i wouldnt know how much money i have put into this build now, it doesnt really matter, im happy with how it has all turned out, i learnt a tonne of things, never worked with this kind of stuff before and i taught myself a lot of it myself.

What do you think people, Ammo Box 360 finished. Till Photoshoot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?

Finished

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Youtube-links just require the last bit of the link, i.e. "QVBOf00oivY"

Fixed it for you ;)

18. ozzylow

ozzylow What's a Dremel?