1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project : Blackmesa HL²

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by piloux, 24 Feb 2004.

1. kplonk

kplonk What's a Dremel?

How many volts?

2. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

This thing is looking better all the time... how about the harard logo from a caar on the botton... the would look cool.

3. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

I really REALLY like the way you're putting this thing together. It looks great!!
    I have one more question about the paintjob, and it's about the primer. Did you prime everything or just the plastic parts? Is the red/brown paint I see in the pictures the primer and what kind of primer did you use? Did the colour of the primer influence the final result of the rust effect you got?
    I'm planning to do some small rust effects on my case and your instructions about the timing between the iron paint and the oxidant were most helpful. By the way, how thick did put the paint on. Really thin like on the test piece or very thick, like on the blowhole panel?

Keep it commin' cause it's awsome and we want more... ;)

Garbach

4. Lupine

Lupine What's a Dremel?

I've seen one or two people say they want to rust their own cases...

So, I went looking...

http://www.artmail.co.uk/craftp.shtml

Scroll down to "MODERN OPTIONS TRUE PATINA FINISHES"

Or, alternatively,

http://www.burhouse.co.uk/products2.asp?cat=WOOD FINISHES&subcat=GLAZES

Not cheap per pot, but if you must make your case look like it's been swimming in industrial crud for a decade... :)

Hope that's of use to those of you out there who've been drooling over the paintjob and wanting to try it yourself.

Oh, and I mustn't forget the obligatory "OMG, SWEET" :)

I'm not sure if gorgeous is the right word to use to describe such a 'distressed' case ;) , but it's definitely unique, and an incredible piece of work.

Congrats on the work so far, piloux.

5. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

NP m8! Its just a small idea compared to the inspiration for your mode anways. :rock:

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

ffs double post. :sigh:

7. Garbach

Garbach What's a Dremel?

One more thing I noted: when you're all done it's like REAL rust; including that when you touch it your hands get rusty too!! Not to mention rust (oxidated IRON) particles flying through your case, potentially shorting things out. Are you gonna give it somekind of protective varnish layer to prevent any flaking and also preventing getting your clothe's dirty when transporting the case?

Garbach

8. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

Thank you :)

I have primed the case and the plastic parts, not the aluminium panels on the front and the logo ... yes the primer is the red/brown paint , it is metal primer color and there is no influence about the final effect; about the timing I paint with the oxidant when the iron coat is dry, it take about 1/4 hours...and I apply it with paintbrush,You have to put a thick coat to get the best effect

UPDATE :

I made another crowbar to place into the case, it isnt paint but it will ...

[​IMG]

Ihave worked on the psu too , this is a 300w psu I bought because it is smaller than other ones ... the case is not too big more over the radiator is just in front of the psu ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here the sleeving of wires with yellow thermoshaft, I gave to it an industrial look with the black stripes :D

I still have give an old dirty look to the sleeving...

9. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

well, I must say that I haven't thought about this... :duh: this may be a problem .... I have rather to spray varnish on it, thank you to make me thinking about :thumb:

10. KONIJN

KONIJN What's a Dremel?

that psu is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

oh and you should make the crowbars look like they have been used in half life 1

make them used and don't the new red color

11. SugarBear

SugarBear What's a Dremel?

once you paint that crowbar red, do the entire world a favor and take it outside and bang the rounded part on the ground, preferably cement, to give it that used look, just enough to peel a little of the paint off, then get a little black, and drybrush it on around the handle where you would hold it, it will make it appear more worn in, you could actually dry brush some black and brown and green across the whole thing so it doesn't look all shiny and new

12. instant rice

instant rice What's a Dremel?

This is definitely showing some progress. I especially like the design of the piece around the optical drives. Also, have you thought about taking the cover off that meter and doing some very minor rusting to the white backplate? Maybe in a drip pattern it would look like there was a leak at the top of the meter.

13. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

Yes I will change the white font by another one, but first I have to make it working... I ll go to my fathers workshop to get a lamp to test it

14. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

ok thanks, i LL try to do something like that :)

15. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

This is already a great looking project.
    The PSU looks great, but I would get rid of the blue sticker on the fan.
    (Or you may have plans to change the fan anyways)

16. piloux

piloux What's a Dremel?

thank you , I must say that in the hurry up to see how the psu looks like , I forgot to take off the stiker but it will be done :)

17. f U z ! o N

f U z ! o N What's a Dremel?

wow. mod god lol. i love it piloux :jawdrop:

18. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

Piloux, in that piece of tubing at the top of the case (coming from the water cooling radiator presumably) it appears to be filled with a white liquid. Is this indeed the case, have you found some kind of coolant/water dye that is white to use in your water or is it just the colour of the tube?

I'm really intrigued because i want a white water effect for my rig i'm building in the summer but havent found anything i could use to make the water white and cloudy.

Case looks awesome - but you already knew that!! :rock:

19. th3madc0w

th3madc0w What's a Dremel?

1 tablespoon of condensed milk!!! :D

20. fillip

fillip What's a Dremel?

really?? i'd be slightly concerned about the effect that would have on the system. does it have any ill effects that you know of? if not, i may well use it.
    Oh yeah, does it settle in the tubes and stain them?