1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project C3PO - My Linux jukebox

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by papeniglio, 8 Apr 2004.

1. nizon

nizon What's a Dremel?

Verrrryyyyyy nice.
    I think I might do something like this.. but it will be a NAT router instead.
    Something to replace my crappy linksys router :grr:
    Firstly I have to find a motherboard and all :p

Great project!

2. Cereal

Cereal What's a Dremel?

yeah man...sell it on ebay...start up a little buisness......that came out so clean...and really nice. as long as you can get the software for the lcd working better....also, how much did you spend for this thing...like total?

3. my58vw

my58vw Plexi Expert

That looks so cool... I really like alot...

Thanks for the info... I like the idea of the names... I am a star wars fanatic myself...

4. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Thank you all! I don't know if I'm so good in making a tutorial, anyway I can try to write down some hints. DjFuzz, you're using a really good guide (Tony Whitmore's Core Guide) and you can find details on telnetd configuration here; basically, you have to download the netkit package and compile the telnet daemon; after that you have to make it start on system boot... That's all!

Yes, the two projects are very similar, but I don't think mine is better: this one is mine, that one is yours and both are good examples of saving some money from old computer parts...

Ahemm, I think I must use this: :read: !!! My box is ALSO a router for my home network...

The pics of the LCD were showing just LCDProc output; I'm choosing the best jukebox application and I'll post nicer pics as soon as I'm satisfied.
    Regarding the total expense, I had to pay only for the hdd IDE adapter, the dvd IDE adapter and the LCD.... No more than 60 Euros (the most of them spent in shipping fees :waah: Crappy old Italy!!!)

Stay tuned, then... I'm working on another case: ObiWan, my home server....

5. Piddu

Piddu What's a Dremel?

Brescia owna

6. johnwilliams474

johnwilliams474 Banned

contenue modding you must

good the work you do

May the dremmel be with you

7. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Sorry for al the questions m8 but i've just 2 more:

How did you install lirc? Yes i've found the guide but did you do it with the dialog package or without. If you did without could you please tell me how you did it because i can't get it to work :wallbash:.

How did you apply the latency path, it didn't work for me my linux rig started to hang during the patch :sigh:.

(Now re-installing linux AGAIN)
    I've been able to: - setup the soundcard
    - setup mpg123
    - setup IR mp3
    I've not been able to: - Install latency patch
    - Lirc

But thats all :sigh:.

Thanks in advance!

Edit:
    ME = LiNuX NOOB :worried:

8. the_secret

the_secret What's a Dremel?

great work papeniglio :D
    love how it's everything is customized both software and hardware.

9. c.cam108

c.cam108 Minimodder

this is a great comp. :D :rock: :clap: :thumb:

the lcd fits in well with the origonal box

can you still use the buttons on the front of the CD player to play/pause etc?

btw what IR software did you use and can it be used with windows?

10. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Double_C,

He used Lirc to do this, for windows you could use:

Uice (http://www.mediatexx.com)
    Guider

And there are a few other programs which could do the same but i prefer Uice for windows.

11. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

First of all, thank you all for your interest in my project... :blush:

And now let's go for the answers...

I've compiled and installed dialog before configuring LIRC.. It's small and doesn't do anything other than providing a nice interface to the configure script... It's really easy to accomplish.

You could use another linux box to modify the iso image of the Core CD, but I think it's easier to do everything on the same machine, even if it's a bit longer. Here are the steps:

- do a basic installation of Core linux (I mean set up the disk, configure a basic kernel with no modules and only the bare essentials, compile the kernel, finish the configuration and reboot the box)

- put your linux stuff CD in and mount it; copy your preferred kernel version to /usr/src and expand it (I used 2.4.22, but you can use a newer 2.4 release)

- for the patch to work properly, you have to create a symbolic link to your kernel source named linux (in my case linux -> linux-2.4.22)

- copy the low-latency patch to the /usr/src/linux directory and apply it; now it should work...

Remember that the patch is needed only on the 2.4 kernel tree; if you plan to use the 2.6 tree, the low latency support is included in the kernel sources.

You're doing very well! Keep on learning :clap:

12. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

:blush: ThNx MAN! i'll keep trying and trying, but really you're my linux teacher! :clap: :clap:. And if i get into trouble again i'll post it here if u don't mind! :D
    A bix thanks to you papeniglio for all the help so far!
    Keep on modding m8!

13. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

No problem.... I'll try to answer to all your questions as far as I can help you!

How's going your installation?

14. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Wel installed it again and again and eventually it worked! I still have some trouble applying the latency path. i give the follwing command to apply the patch: gzip -cd patchXX.gz | patch -p0. (where XX is my version NR) but it does some stuff but then it asks which file i want to patch :sigh: and i have to give a file name but don't know which. And i've installed lirc i have some trouble configurating the ir-port (have 2 one pinnacle and one i'm currently try to build) any ideas?

I also have another qeustion, i found an ir laying around and would like to build it the exact same way you did. My IR port is also an sharp: GP1U5 01X 9x2. I've found out what the middle pin is for but that's all. What do i have to buy/to do to complete this ir port?I'm not very well with electronics but i can hold an soldering iron and use it:). I have some picture's below of what i have so far:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Could u help me out please!
    Thanks in advance m8 :thumb:

15. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Mmm, me thinks something is wrong with that command.... Let's start from the beginning:

- you have finished the Core Linux setup process, so you have a fresh booted linux box;

- if you go to the /usr/src directory, you'll find the linux directory which contains the 2.4.18 kernel. Rename it to a better name:

Code:
    mv linux linux-2.4.18
    - get your favourite kernel tree; for this example I suppose you're using the 2.4.22. Put the linux-2.4.22.tar.gz file into /usr/src and expand it:

Code:
    tar zxf linux-2.4.22.tar.gz
    you should end with a linux-2.4.22 directory.

- create a symbolic link to the new kernel tree and name it linux:

Code:
    ln -s /usr/src/linux-2.4.22 /usr/src/linux
    - get the low latency patch and put it into /usr/src

- now BE SURE to have /usr/src as your current directory and issue this command:

Code:
    patch -p0 < ./2.4.22-low-latency.patch
    This should work (it worked for me).

If you have some problems, try this other command sequence:

Code:
    cd linux
    patch -p1 < ../2.4.22-low-latency.patch
    Let me know how it goes....

16. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

Sorry, but I can't understand.... Pinnacle... :confused:

For the IR receiver, you only need few components; check this page to get more help...

17. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Thanks man for your reply, im so glad you can help me setting my rig up! :thumb:
    Pinnacle is a company name which produces graphical cards like tv cards ect. With one of those cards came an loose ir receiver for the com port and this one works fine. But i would like to build my own receiver so that my brother can have the pinnacle ir receiver. The pinnacle receiver is supported by lirc under: Pinnacle systems.
    So could you explain me how you configured lirc and how to configure my own build receiver. (i'll use the Pinnacle temporaryly till my own receiver is finished)

Thanks for the link! was exactly what i was looking for:thumb: I'll buy that stuff in the afternoon :D. (Great step by step guide you've written for me, exactly what i needed! i'll try it in the evening :thumb:)

How is your other project? and is it already on the forums? would like to get an look on that one too!

Keep :dremel: m8! :thumb:

Edit:
    Forgot one thing to say when applying the patch, i'd had also an message that the patch file was garbage :confused: maybe the file is damaged or something?

18. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

OK, now I know you were talking about "that" Pinnacle....

In order to have your own receiver working, you should check if you've compiled your kernel with serial port support. You have to turn on the Standard/generic (8250/16550 and compatible UART) serial support in the Character devices section of the kernel configuration. Then, according to the COM port you use for the receiver, you must put this command into the rc.mu init script:

Code:
    setserial /dev/ttySx uart none
    where x is the port number.

Then you have to compile LIRC with the only serial driver and that's all!
    To check if the receiver is working, install the lirc_serial module, run mode2 and press some key on the remote; you should see a sequence of pulses on your console.
    In order to decode all the keys on your own remote, you have to train LIRC with irrecord and save a custom config file.
    Then you run lircd with your custom config file and check the decoding with irw.

Project ObiWan is ongoing, but I don't have any picture yet.... Be patient!

I've noticed that some mirror names the patch file as if it were a gzipped one (ie 2.4.22-low-latency.patch.gz) but actually it is just the patch file! So, try to see the .gz file you have with

Code:
    cat 2.4.22-low-latency.patch.gz
    and if it is plain text remove the .gz extention and apply the patch...

Hope it helps.

Have a nice work!

19. papeniglio

papeniglio Minimodder

The project is still ongoing: I'm setting up the software side of the box, trying to make Cajun my jukebox application...

I've compiled and installed MySQL 4.0; now I have to compile Apache for web support and add some Perl modules.... After that I can compile and configure Cajun and take some nicer pics of my wonderful LCD...

Back to work! :dremel:

20. DjFuzz

DjFuzz What's a Dremel?

Oops! already solved problem! :D :D

Last edited: 25 Apr 2004