1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project code name - Time.Sync. End name The Hellcat.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Vault-Tec, 9 Sep 2018.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

haha don't. That's the second kit I've ordered from China now that arrived damaged or with missing parts. Some one had pushed the legs on the seg in, and they had cracked from the solder and gone inside. That was bad enough (incredibly thin and fiddly) but getting it apart was a real sod. Has two plastic retentions, but the plastic is hard as nails and you really have to push it to "oops, cracked and broke it" forces.

When that thing lit up and worked I was so relieved. I waited 5 weeks for it, I'd have been really gutted if it didn't work.

Only thing? one of your lot put the date on it. So it's M/DAY a haunt from my past that cost me $2000. I filled in all of my INS forms and put the date on English, and it was a month where it could be used the American way around. They backed all of my forms to me saying my application was invalid, and $2000 more pls. Aholes man.

2. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

You did a really neat job on that soldering :rock::rock: Some nights i find my self soldering for 5 hours solid..... and i want the last solder one to be as clean as the first :)

3. Vault-Tec

Yeah used to do a lot of soldering when I worked at a speaker factory making Xovers. So I've had some practice lol.

Cheaps the curse !! I look at the small print of the listing on Amazon for my RGB ram coolers and what do I see?

. (This RGB LED in reverse of red and blue light!!!!!!, It means that you want red will get blue, want blue will get red, there are two ways to fix this, please see description)

I then look at the pic they link me to...

[​IMG]

Ugh. I either take all four apart and resolder them or I can try my plan B. I have a question or two here, please read on.. OK, so I have this yes.

[​IMG]

Which connects to one output of my Farbwerk. There are only three other LEDs going in (top inner case, bottom inner case, flow meter) now, here is my question. Instead of taking apart all four RAM coolers and rewiring them can I just take the hub there ^ and swap the red and blue cables coming in? so take the cable that goes from the Farbwerk into that hub, depin the red and blue and swap them around? I know I can't plug anything else into that hub then (because the R&B will be flipped) but that will save me loads of time yes?

4. Vault-Tec

Righty. I did some investigating earlier and those solder contacts are utterly tiny. I won't be changing the R&Bs there. I will do what I said, pop a pin on the input cable to the "hub" and swap them around there. They also seem to piggy back, so I may just make a twisted cable that reverses the R&B. Earlier today I ordered more extensions, cable runs and etc. When I get back home I will begin to slowly clean and reassemble the panels, wrapping the wires as I go.

5. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I love making x overs! diy speaker building is my one true love above all :D

6. Vault-Tec

That used to be my hobby. Right up until I was served a noise pollution notice by the council. I think 3 18s in a room 13x15ft was a little much lol. All headphones for me now. I'm reformed, 'onest guv :D

Been thinking about getting a "new" power supply for my new build. Not strictly new, but one that makes it so I can leave the AX1200 in situ and keep all of the blue cables in there. So that I can drop in a mobo and CPU at another time, and not have to remove all of the wiring.

Was poking about on Ebay and found this for £75.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warranty seals are all in place. Reason it was cheap? he says "Comes only with the cables you see". Thing is, I already have extensions for what I need (one 8 pin EPS, one 6 and one 8 pin PCIE and 24 pin) I can see plenty of those on it.

I also ordered this yesterday...

[​IMG]

X2 and three of these.

[​IMG]

Ignore they are red you won't see them. I just wanted it to be clear what was molex and what was SATA, if that makes sense.

7. Vault-Tec

OK finally home. Tried my idea of reversing the pins on the input cable for the XSPC splitter and -

[​IMG]

Now what we are looking for is the ram to be the same as the strip there. Seems OK, let's check another colour.

[​IMG]

OK well that was definitely wrong before.

Seems legit.

8. Vault-Tec

And another panel cut and fitted etc.

[​IMG]

9. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Love the ram scattered on the carpet.

10. Vault-Tec

hah there's no RAM in it yet :D they are just coolers.

I just started on the front panel. Going quite well so far !

11. Vault-Tec

Success, and failure.

I arrived home at around 3pm yesterday. I did numerous jobs (changed bed, cleaned bathroom etc) and then set about the front panel. However, I ended up working until nearly midnight. I ended up finding the front panel didn't fit, and by this time I was tired and annoyed. I went a little gung ho with the belt sander, destroyed the front panel :(

I went to bed really annoyed, because everything else I did yesterday came out cool. I even fixed my bike in the interim..

Any way, today I made a new one (much grumbling and cussing)

[​IMG]

Plastic welded on a set of sides, then plastic welded onto the case and tapped in four bolts.

[​IMG]

Winning.

[​IMG]

Defyant Mods likes this.
  12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweet score on the BRG lights. :D

Vault-Tec likes this.
  13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

man i have bins full of botched perspex panels :p i feel your pain man.

The front's lookin pro! :thumb:

14. Vault-Tec

"Hell" yeah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Vault-Tec

Take apart, clean thoroughly, wrap cables in cloth tape..

[​IMG]

16. Vault-Tec

PSU has entered the building. Been through it with a multi meter, seems spot on.

Cleaning and wrapping wires continues also.

[​IMG]

Any worry I had about the PSU not having enough cables evaporated when I found this. How cool is this?

[​IMG]

I'ma need me some cotton gloves.....

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

SCORE. :D I suspect the PSU supplier was one of us.
    I know I've been off-topic as hell lately, but I gotta say it: That was a really big dalmatian.

Dr. Coin likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

hahaha that's moo cow.

When I split up with my wife the first thing I said was "You're not taking moo cow !". I can be unempathic at the best of times, but I actually prefer moo cow. She doesn't argue :D

19. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Single best investment I ever made was the tools and supplies to make/modify my own cable. Initially I bought a large set of pins so I can screw up lots, and a few sets of common connectors. I already had the wire. I haven't had to worry about a power cable since.

Case is looking great. Good work on the front. Are the lower two numbers both voltage? Or is one current?

@Cheaps Ha cheeky monkey I had a good laugh at that one.

20. Vault-Tec

Yes they are voltage :) It goes temps, volts and then clock. Bit like a car really. I'm not done with that yet as it needs to come out again. I will be making a small bezel to go around the hole so that it matches the others better. Thing is I can't do it with 3mm acrylic because if I do the front gets about 3/4 of the way up, gets stuck and then goes back down again. I know that from prior experience lol. so maybe some 1mm acrylic or just vinyl? dunno. I also need to modify the clock body as there are two screws sticking out preventing it from going flush. I reckon another day on that should sort it.

Had a bit of a scare last night when I realised the roof wiring used to run straight down the middle of the case. Did a few tests and it should be fine. Phew, that scared me. I didn't fancy extending about 30 wires.