1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Executive HTPC (working title)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mattthegamer463, 21 May 2005.

1. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Ok, I found this, what i think, is a really nice VCR, so I am planning on making a HTPC from the case. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

and another (BTW I didnt take these pictures, I got them from the net, but the VCR ive got is identical.)

[​IMG]

and a pic of the flip down front.

[​IMG]

So, Im planning on keeping the fake wood on the sides, the black top, and the brushed stainless on the front door, so mainly im working on the inside of the door (Like what to put in there) and also where all the components are going to go. The motherboard connections will definitely go out the back, i can assure that. Then such things as USB ports and headphone ports will go out the front. I want to take a page from Zapwizards amazing HTPC that he never finished, sadly. I want to automate as much stuff as possible, and make any components ( such as wireless device recievers, for etc.) to be built into the main enclosure, so it looks cleaner. Ideas are appreciated greatly, Thanks for reading my big long schpeel.

2. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

For a second there I was like, "Where do you put the VHS in?"

3. Bones

Bones What's a Dremel?

LOL!! Me too! Thats a pretty sweet vcr! Should definetly turn out amazing, especially with the brushed stainless steel on the front! I love brushed stainless steel! Good luck!

4. Bradish

Bradish What's a Dremel?

Dang that is a nice looking VCR.... Looks like that should make a nice HTPC and that door hidden panel will definetly be a Godsend later on...

5. mattthegamer463

I know I love the stainless front! The door allows me to put whatever behind it without worrying about it looking ugly. Ill defenately have the dvd rom drive coming out of the vhs tape hole. I think a number of the connections in the front (ie the s video and rca plugs)will be kept in placen but wired up to the video card and tuner card.

6. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

now thats the sort of vhs player i wouldnt be embarrassed about having lying about!!

what components are you going to be using?

7. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:jawdrop: dam nice vhs :naughty:

8. mattthegamer463

Well I, sadly,have almost no money, so I'm going to try and find a computer that is decent. I've got a 500mhz p3 that I might use, but I am working on a project for those components that I planned on using those parts for, so I might have to find a cheap mobo and processor on the internet. Also, ill have to either buy a new hdd or buy a dvd burner. I'm also looking for a tv tuner card, either with a remote or ill buy a remote from somewhere. I've got to do some calculations.

9. mattthegamer463

Ok, i came home today and theyre was a Compaq Presario 2286 lying on my porch. At first i was like "what the heck?" but now im thinking i might use it for my HTPC, or not. its only 333mhz Pentium 1 w/ MMX technology, 32mb ram ( needs upgrading) and a 4 gig HDD (got to go) and some other problems, but if i cant find anything else...

I just realized that i should explain the name. I dont intend to keep it called "Executive HTPC" but thats my temporary name because im shooting for one of those fancy buisness looking cases, quiet with no lights inside it. nobody wants to have their favourite tv show drowned out by noisy case fans!! also, if anyone has a better name, please share.

10. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hmmm, I'm not sure if that will suit your needs, matt. Though HTPCs require little power once you have a decent tuner card (or two), they still require enough to run a decent multimedia OS. Unfortunately, windows 98 is very poor for that, and I doubt you'll get much more to run on that system. Perhaps it's time to look to upgrading? I know there's lots of older crap in the For sale forums, which you'd be able to get cheap.

11. mattthegamer463

Yeah ill have a look in the for sale section.

12. QuinnDexter

QuinnDexter What's a Dremel?

are you going to have any height problems with that case? ie fitting PSU / agp / pci cards in there

13. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Riser cards will fix many problems like that...but really, that's a good question...how high is that case? A standard expansion card has a height of about 5 inches from the motherboard.

14. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Damn nice! Where and how much for this gem?

15. WTF_Shelley

WTF_Shelley The picture is wheeljack

Maybe an ITX would be perfect, some of the 1ghz models have mpeg encoder chip that and a couple of 100 gigs in raid 0 and that would be a cool HTPC

16. mattthegamer463

that may pose a serious problem. the thing is only about 5 inches high AT BEST so i may have a severe problem. if worst comes to worst, ill have to use onboard graphics *shutter* and a external tuner card. Ive got a really short vid card im planning on using though, and ill look for a short tuner card.

17. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

i like the flipdown front. how about use riser cards

18. mattthegamer463

i think i will use some of those. although, theyre quite expensive...

19. mattthegamer463

ok update time. I finaly got the VCR home, and i gutted the interior. it looks nice, but it was crammed full of stuff! im starting to doubt if everything will fit... anyway, here are some pictures.

an overview:
    [​IMG]

a frontal pic:
    [​IMG]

front down:
    [​IMG]

a pic of the fake wood side:
    [​IMG]

you have to remove the wood to get at another case screw to open the case:
    [​IMG]

the vacant inside:
    [​IMG]

a partly broken ruler so you know what size this thing is:
    [​IMG]

a shot of how short it is ( potential major problem)
    [​IMG]

and 2 parts i believe will come in handy:
    [​IMG]

What do people think? Also, I'd like some ideas on how to get a clean look.

EDIT oops photobucket double shrunk some pics. oh well.

20. mediacoretex

mediacoretex What's a Dremel?

looks like a good start