1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project :: Kaiten Updated 12/29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Breach, 16 Oct 2006.

1. luis_pedro_Sato

luis_pedro_Sato Minimodder

Looks very nice man

2. gvblake22

gvblake22 mmm, yep

Nicely done... But DAAAMN, wouldn't it have been easier to just buy the silver case?? :hehe:

3. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

where's the fun in that? also, it wouldnt be polished :D

4. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Thanks everyone,

Yeah I could have gone with just brushed aluminum, but I had to have some major bling. I need to represent at my LAN parties :rock:

I have to say though, you feel like a bad person taking a power sander to a pristine V1000...

But im up through 600 grit and going to start 800 in a bit, it is starting to show a bit of reflection. Im doing this all by hand so it will just take a while.

As for the feet they do look a tad out of place, but only for the moment ;) They arent done yet by a long shot.

Hopefully Ill get another update up here soon, I have been putting all of my time so far into the polishing. Ive probably spent about 10 or so hours on it so far sanding :yawn:

-Breach

5. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK What's a Dremel?

Nice case would think of maybe getting one for myself wait i have too many cases laying around already waiting for the dremel to attack but like the way this project is going i will be keeping an eye on this one.

however i do think the picture of ur cat and then a sander/polisher right underneath is kinda scary lol

6. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Alright, more updates

I had it mind to jazz up my case feet beyond being some weird metal brackets., the first part was just initially mounting them to the case. So...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Back in black:cool: I did these with semi flat like the grill is. Why not gloss? Im worried about overdoing the shiny with the main body being mirror polished. Could change, but I am happy with this for now. I taped off the inside to retain the brushed aluminum.

[​IMG]

I broke out my coping saw and cut these out of 5mm acrylic

[​IMG]

And here is where they go.

[​IMG]

Ive decided to work with orange and possibly white as the color scheme. Backlit with a 5mm orange LED.

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole for the LED to fit through, here it all is mocked up. The LEDs will be sanded down flat and will rest on top of the acrylic inserts for a clean and unimpeded look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That is all for today. Staying home from work sick (really :) ) at least paid off for Kaiten anyway.

You can also see just a hair of a reflection on the surface now after 600 grit, slowly but surly :D

More to come soon

-Breach

7. joe-coleman

joe-coleman What's a Dremel?

nice feet!

Those feet are looking soooo much better. real good idea with the acrylic and LEDs.
    Can't wait to see the [mirror] finished case!
    ahh sick days, the amount of fun you can have when you're "ill".

8. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

nice work on the feet!

9. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

great work bube keep on modding .
    keep up the good work

10. N.A.N.O.

N.A.N.O. What's a Dremel?

Cool mod,,

That LCD display is very cool with the acrylic.
    Keep it up like this, then it would be a nice mod.

11. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

And I return with more

[​IMG]

Back to the front panel. I masked off certain areas and cut the designs by hand.

[​IMG]
    Sprayed with semi flat black. The other side will still look like a black mirror though.

[​IMG]
    After 36 hours of cure time the tape was slowly removed

[​IMG]
    I frosted all open areas aside the place for the LCD screen and the reservoir window. You can barley see, but the frost actually cracked the acrylic around the holes made for the fan bus. Luckily the damage does not extend outside of the frosted part. Irritating, but the show must go on.

[​IMG]
    Three aluminum rings. What from? They are spacers taken from a hard drive spindle.

[​IMG]
    There:)

[​IMG]
    Light test. I replaced all of the LEDs in the unit with bright orange. You cannot notice the cracks so much with the lights on, although I may still try to find a way to repair this.

[​IMG]
    Little mock up

[​IMG]
    And last today, I managed to sand up to 1200 grit. Took a while since it has all been by hand, but it is starting to pay off and is getting shinier. I can begin polishing soon:cool:

-Breach

12. JAxen

JAxen What's a Dremel?

WOW! I love the frontpanel you made :O

13. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Yeah that is pretty close to what I will be doing next, get that nice mirror finish :rock:

14. sykocus

sykocus What's a Dremel?

You know I bought one of those Enermax fans and had the same problem too. I took it apart and put a dab of silicone grease (all i had handy) on the fan shaft and it's super quite now

15. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

huh well thats looking interesting, Im still not sold on the feet but hey if its what makes you happy then thats what counts, keep it up

16. customh

customh conflagration.

Beautiful, but i am kinda with HBD on the feet... I just don't know about em...

17. Breach

Breach Modding in Exile

Got some more done finally-

[​IMG]

I figured why not cut a few more holes into my $200 case Smile Lined up with the 120mm fan and stock Lian Li bracket. I also made up a new piece of 1/8 acrylic for the front.

[​IMG]

Held in place by more cap screws

[​IMG]

Fan in place. I removed the middle supports of the stock fan bracket because well, they were ugly.

I really wanted to do a turbine mod, but you cant let filler touch an Lian Li (thats a no no Wink). I think this is a good solution

[​IMG]

The acrylic panel was back painted with semi flat black. The fan is a white Coolermaster. I have it backlit with an orange LED strip for mockup, but I will be adding some orange LEDs to the fan later.

I intend to do Bills patented turbine action on this with a rc plane nose cone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mock up shot. I wonder if the bottom plate is too plain compared to the top one...Ill have to sleep on that. The upper peice will be pushed out to 1/8 from the front to match the depth of the bottom piece.

Thats it today, mod on!

18. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

Yeah, it does look a bit plain. :/

19. sKuLLs

sKuLLs What's a Dremel?

Now, maybe I'm being extreme, but are you sure you can't use just a weee bit of bondo so the plexi and fan dont have that little gap between them? Or, you could expand the hole (in the front of the case) and bondo/acryllic glue a circle of plexi and attach it to your original plexi cover so it covers the gap, but no bondo/filler/whatever touches the lian li... if that doesn't make sense I can try to ellaborate on it. Or draw a picture :)

20. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Just crack out the Bondo and have it done with, paid so much for the case, make it look as good as it can, you're only selling yourself short, otherwise looks great!