1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Metaversa: LCD goodness (small update 17/07/05)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nexxo, 11 Apr 2003.

1. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

Ouch nexxo. That's a lot of pics to change...

Case is looking great though.

2. Darv

Darv Bling!!

Where did you get the white cable braid? I'm going for a white/silver theme case and was goign to go for chrome braid but I think it's a bit too Orac3 now.

3. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Would it be too hard for picturetrail to change pics10 name to pics4?

4. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Ouch!! That's gonna leave a mark... a big ole'X to be exact.. Have fun changing things around.. Also, because of this I will forgive you for not putting up any updates for a while... :D

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

@ Darv: sound interesting! Unfortunately no white braid can be found in the UK anywhere, but PerformancePCs.com sells it in abundance.

@Altron: not only the pic4 designation changes, I'm afraid, but also a whole string of identification numbers. The b******s... :miffed:

@ The Sub: I have been working on the thing, and taking some pics, but I have had setbacks... In entertaining family over X-mas I had to haul the whole project out of the living room area, then back later. In the process some (cheap, but essential) bits went missing so I had to re-order them to complete the job. I have been off sick with some bug, which slowed me down by a week, and now this! Sometimes I think I'll never get it finished. Should have stuck with a straightforward air-cooled Shuttle... :(

6. Gnemelf

Gnemelf Minimodder

looking good, that really sucks about the pic host server... lost my account and my 40 images I uploaded to image4u.com server like 6 days after I bought my account but thats all straighted so I know the pain of redoing every pic post in your logs and what not it sucks balls.. well good luck and I love the way things are looking.. btw where did you get those input and output covers?

7. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Yeah. But then it wouldn't be as cool as this one... Sorry to hear about all the bad stuff going on... Goo luck with the rest of it though.. I'm sure you'll be happier with this than just an air-cooled shuttle....

8. Incorpirate

Incorpirate What's a Dremel?

just read though the whole project
    *wipes drool from desk*

9. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Well, I just got through with reading this entire log (DAMN YOU FOR FORCING ME TO SPEND TWO HOURS OF MY LIFE READING ABOUT THIS INCREDIBLE PROJECT! :)) Sucks about the pic-rehosting. Are you going to put an acrylic window into the side? Just curious. Incredible Mod! (now I have TWO Uber projects to keep track of... This one and the Orac3) I hope you get this baby completed soon! Its a real shame you need to spend so much time digging through and re-doing all of the picture links (Shame on them, not finding a way to maintain the original image threads :miffed: ...oh well. Keep up the good work! And, when you upgrade this beast, would you be so kind as to sell some of the surplus to me? I need a way to get cheap but good parts on an (extremely) low budget ;) Have a good one!

10. Nexxo

@ gnemelf: The plug covers came from RS Online.

@ Rotosequence: Oh, yes, there will be a window... :naughty:

OK, UPDATE CITY!

What have I been doing over the last month... well, remember I braided the PSU?

[​IMG]

In addition, I wanted to tap into the always-on 5V line without having to mess around with the mobo cable. So I got myself some splicers from RS Online:

[​IMG]

Which are used to splice into the PURPLE and a BLACK wire of the mobo cable (purple shows sort of blue here... bad lighting in the home. Moreover the pic is all blurry-- I gotta start using a mini-tripod! It does my Fuji Finepix s602 no justice at all...):

[​IMG]

Splicing is easy: you stick the second wire into the splice, fold it around the source wire, and snap shut. Easy. The thing cuts through insulation itself, but only on sufficiently thick wire. I therefore stripped the tips of the "branch" wire first.

[​IMG]

Braided this additional cable:

[​IMG]

Now I had to cram the whole lot into the PSU. Not easy! But with carefull laying out of the cabling, I eventually managed. The cable I'm holding is the all-new, purpose built always-on 5V cable... All PSUs should have one as standard. :D

[​IMG]

As I said before, the whole thing is designed to be modular. Just detach the three waterblocks and the two power cables, and you can simply lift out the Mobo assembly:

[​IMG]

And by unscrewing the res and pump/rad bracket, you can actually lift out the whole watercooling circuit in one piece. :D

I removed the mobo because I needed to reach some corner parts of the PC. I have been doing some cable management, with self-adhesive cable clips. I have six different types/sizes, about 50 of each! Want cable management? You got it! Here's the USB cabling from the USB 2.0 PCI card to front ports, and from mobo to card reader and Bluetoothe module:

[​IMG]

For this to work, I needed to adapt the card reader so it shares the plug-in PCB with the Bluetooth module, picured here:

[​IMG]

Note the white plug and socket. they're common in PC bits, but I can't find just the plug anywhere. But the card reader has one on the PCB end of its (very long) cable:

[​IMG]

My plan: turn the cable around (so the plug goes in the Bluetooth-shared PCB, shorten it, braid it, solder the other end to the card reader. And so it was done:

[​IMG]

The USB ports in one of the floppy/slim-line CD-ROM bracket came with USB cables which were way too short. So I got some silver braided USB cables, cut them to size, stripped them and soldered them to the white plug of the original cables:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And presto:

[​IMG]

This is the reult of the whole lot (card reader and USB ports) connected, with cables trailing to the right location inside the case:

[​IMG]

This update, of course, means now I have another dozen pics to update when Picturetrail moves them accross servers... :( but hey... just to let you know the project is still alive and progressing. Next it is on to testing the watercooling circuit. So that's me. As Cadbury's Cream Egg says: How do you mod yours? :D

Last edited: 27 Jan 2004
    Risky likes this.
  11. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

It's this kind of attention to detail that makes a really really great mod into something truly spectacular :) It always puts a smile on my face when you update this thread Nexxo, nice work :thumb:

12. STellY

STellY What's a Dremel?

what he said :thumb:

its lookin great nexxo, the mod im slowly working on right now is basically completely inspired by this mod.... ur mod style is my style man :) keep up the good work

13. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

I have to agree with NiHiLiST, the attention to detail is great, and the mark of a truly great modder :)

Keep up the great work, and sorry to hear about the pic hosting nightmare.

Darkside.

14. Skaal-tel

Skaal-tel What's a Dremel?

none of the pictures work??

15. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Please read the following post by Nexxo about the picture problems...
    HERE

16. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Looks like the server swap took place...

Those *******s!

17. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

Hope the pictures come back soon?

18. Altron

Altron Minimodder

Nope, our man Nexxo has to change the path of each picture.

19. Nexxo

Yup, looks like the pic links have gone bye-bye... I will change them when I find three free hours or so. :miffed: Not tonight though...

EDIT: Pics are restored (as you can -hopefully- see). Luckily the paths were not too drastically changed and I could update them relatively easily... crisis averted. :thumb:

Last edited: 27 Jan 2004
  20. Nexxo

Just a bump to let people know that the pics have been restored. ;)