1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Project: Mini Metis Maximus (ITX X99 watercooled)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 6 Oct 2016.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It's so cute :D

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Soooo, that waterblock wasn't really cutting it so I decided to add some bits, namely a 3D printed fascia. I thought I'd make it look a bit like a heatsink itself, but knocked one out on my printer as a prototype. I thought it would be funky to add some text to the top too.

[​IMG]

The final design sits around the Alphacool waterblock, which I've now modded to fit Alphacool's own skinny M.2 heatsink, which is easier to fit just using clips.

[​IMG]

However, the prototype showed that my printer wasn't up to the task so I found a guy online to print it, only to have him go AWOL just before Christmas. Grrr.

[​IMG]

Thankfully I found https://www.3dhubs.com, and soon had a quote for about £15 to knock one up in high resolution. Yay. White looks cool but the text just whites out so knew I needed to spray it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went with Montana Silverchrome in the end. However, I hit a snag in that the paint is very fragile without some sort of clear coat, but you can't use normal clear coat as it basically turns the chrome paint grey. Amazingly, floor polish was the answer... It's used in the modeling world to seal plastics and apply a thin clear coat to stop plastics tarnishing. You just dip the components in, leave them to dry, and you have a clear coat.

[​IMG]

That's the block done and mounted to the Alphacool heatsink and ready to go.

[​IMG]

I've been spraying pretty much everything else chrome too - PSU, fan, motherboard shroud, EK end connector....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The black screws looked wrong too so sanded the paint off and used 3000 grit plus some Autosol to get them to a chrome shine.

[​IMG]

Should have lots more updates over the weekend!

3. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Dat SSD-block looks awesome :)

4. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

Looking awesome indeed.

I'm using the same combo of Alphacool DDC and Aquacomputer top in my 901 build, so I'm interested to see how you're mounting yours. Are you just shortening the stock pump screws or something else?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup that's fantastic Anthony. Really nice work man, looks like something you could buy off the shelves :)

6. Combatus

Thanks Johan!

You mean mount the top to the pump or the whole contraption in the case? If it's the former the standard DDC mounting screws should be okay - not sure which specific set I used but they worked!

I'll be mounting the pump on a small section of bent-to-shape alu sheet or using mounting pads and securing it to the front of the case - not sure yet. I'm working out the plumbing today so will know where and how once I'd sorted that out :)

Thanks! I wonder how much it would be to mill one out of alu, but it looks okay I think. It will be mostly hidden by tubes once it's done I think which is a shame!

7. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

The whole thing really, I guess.

The screws that came with my top fit the pump and top together perfectly, however there's then no other holes to mouth the unit to anything. Conversely, the pump's screw and standoff combination is 4mm too long to mate with the top. So I'm either going to chop the standoffs down by 4mm so they fit, and then mount to my bracket, or mate top, pump and bracket together as a single item, but that means I have to dismantle everything if I want to take the bracket off.

So yeah, interested in what you do with yours :p

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Coming along nicely. I see you've angered the one-star trolls at some point.:lol:

9. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Its like a Michelin Star for modders,getting one starred is like an entry into manhood,modhood....whatever...

10. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

You've just quantified my first target for Asteria II :p

11. Combatus

Ahh I see. TBH I have about 3 DDCs laying around from the last 10 years along with twice that many tops and the one set of screws I tried worked! lol! However, I never screw pumps to anything, it's just asking for vibration and more noise, even with anti-vibe mounts. It's such a small case that this will be even more of an issue (think of V8 being mounted to a moped!).

I'll most likely use some 3M mounting tape and secure it to a custom mount or something. It's going to be wedged in place by two brass tubes so it's not going anywhere.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2017
  12. Combatus

Oh yeah! ha ha! Didn't even notice that! Maybe I'll dig around in the backend and see who it was. Or maybe I'll just continue doing what I'm doing - that will clearly annoy them more! :D

13. GorgTech

GorgTech What's a Dremel?

You have done a great job but have a look at some pictures on the first and second page ;) These are really huuuuuuuuuuge and weigh a ton each :D Maybe these are the reason why you could have annoyed the guys to push the 1 star button? ;)

Just imagine that you browse the web with a smartphone and lose your data traffic really fast :D

14. Combatus

And GorgTech can be my voice of reason from now on :) You're absolutely right of course - must have forgotten to check the resize button! Cropped them all down to size now.

15. Bennibo

Bennibo What's a Dremel?

I like your project and i really like small builds in general. Its just so much more difficult and takes more effort to get everything in place, compared to big cases.

What kind of PCIE riser cable did you use? I still need one for my build.

16. LePhuronn

LePhuronn Minimodder

There's a resize button? Where? My image sources are still 1200x670 and I couldn't see anywhere to shrink them down in posts, and the forum's JavaScript auto image resize only works on my Mac (missing libraries everywhere else).

Edit: ignore me, you're hosting in imgur.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Speaking of: Shouldn't Bit's auto-resize kick in? For some reason, it was posting your stuff full res.

18. Combatus

Yeah that's what I thought - it seemed to with some of them but not with others :duh: Never mind. Learned my lesson. Only took 10 years!

19. Combatus

I've used one that came with a Thermaltake case. I haven't actually tested it yet which is silly as I know they had issues last year with GPU stability, which they've since fixed. They're available separately though. http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/T...PCIe-x16-Riser-Card-Extender-Cable_61880.html

20. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Thanks again for choosing MNPCTECH!!