1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Neophyte - Update - 2/09/12 - Back to the build & New Hardware!!!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Briaireous, 15 Jan 2012.

1. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice progress :).

2. modscases.com

modscases.com What's a Dremel?

looks good man keep up the good work :)

3. Guunkushnaka

Guunkushnaka What's a Dremel?

I can't wait to start posting my work on Bit-tech...Glad to see another representing...Restecpa, South Side Yo....Can't believe I just wrote that.

Oh and Keep up the great work!!

Last edited: 31 Jan 2012
  4. Briaireous

Briaireous What's a Dremel?

Thanks waynio :) wish it would go faster but its one of those things lol

thanx and likewise your Dead space mod is awesome man i enjoy seeing your updates

Hahahaha What kind bru :D ah damn you got me doing it now.... Its great to see more South Africa Modders on here I've seen a handful so far. Hury now lets see some modding :)

5. Briaireous

Small update

Just a small update today I got some time last night so i decided to begin making the top/front cover panel for the case. As well as doing a bit of work on the motherboard tray

(A quick thanks to my sponsor as of September 2012 Evetech)
    [​IMG]

I started by tapping the mother tray

[​IMG]

Then I got stuck because i still havent found a tap that fits the standard brass motherboard standoffs that come with cases so im either going to have to find a different size stand off or make my own :(

You would have seen a long rectangular sheet in my previous update. In this update that sheet is being bent to fit the shape of the case :)

It was rough cut previously so it was clamped down now to try and get it as close to a perfect fit as possible with overhanging all around so it can be shaped while in place so i don't take too much off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drilled, tapped and screwed down the panel just on the top for now to make sure that I'm not mounting at any strange angles
    [​IMG]

Clamped down the cover on the front of the case to mark the panel against the frame
    [​IMG]

No dents or warping and a nice smooth curve, love it :dremel:
    [​IMG]

I marked the holes that need to be drilled and will drill those and tap the rest of the case tonight. that just leaves the side panels and then i pretty much have the covers complete for now. Later i will cut the holes for lighting and I/O devices.

[​IMG]

Tonight I will hopefully finish drilling tapping and screwing down the top/front panel and finish making the PSU mounting below:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for reading my project log, the comments and the support guys. Really makes posting here and being apart of this community so enjoyable :thumb:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
    Waynio likes this.
  6. peteski

peteski long live the pc

coming along nice mate keep up the good work :rock: :rock: :rock:

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice work on the curved panel mate, very nice :rock::clap:. rep

About tapping the tray I always use m3 standoffs & my latest I'm using female to female m3 standoffs so I can use countersunk screws on the other side for easier work :D.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2012
  8. Archer

Archer Talga Vassternich - Deserve Victory

Whoa whoa whoa, you're going too fast darn it :p

Nice job on the front panel bend :thumb:

For the mobo stand offs, try ebay. I already searched long and hard for suppliers in SA that sell 6mm brass standoffs and absolutely no luck. Getting a imperial thread tap is also tricky. But if you do find something local, let me know! I've got my own alternative solution, but I'll be the first to say it isnt the most elegant, haha

9. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice work on the bend on the front panel.

Fortunately #6-32 MB standoffs are common over on this side of the pond as are taps. I'm sure you will figure out something.

10. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

Very good job,mate.

11. Briaireous

Thanks Waynio :D I'll give it a try, so far i cant seem to find anything in South Africa using google but ill try phoning around.

Shot Archer. I have the standoffs i just don't have the taps. A friend mentioned BMG World. I'm going to give them a phone call and see if i get lucky with them and I'll let you know :) luckily for me they are local. I have a friend that works at Matrix computers and he was willing to give me some standoffs, maybe try get some second hand ones from a computer shop that does repairs around you? Also i was also going to go the custom stand off root but i'm trying my best toavoid that lol

I'm thinking of importing but i'm not sure what root im going to take just yet and thank you for the compliment :)

Thank you :)

Wow im blown away by how friendly this community is its such a joy having my project log on here.

12. Briaireous

Project Neophyte - Update - 23/02/12 - Custom motherboard stand-offs + Side panel

Hi Guys,

Its been awhile life has been very heecktic lately, but I've managed to make a little progress :)

(A quick thanks to my sponsor as of September 2012 Evetech)
    [​IMG]

In the previous updates you would have seen large unshaped side panels. These have finally been shapped to fit the case. The rough edges have not been smoothed yet as the side panels will fit under the overhang on the top and front panel. So they need to fit perfectly before the excess is cut off

[​IMG]

Test fitting the side panel
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've also been struggling to get stand offs and a tap. But got around this problem :) Luckily my father is an automative engineer and owns a lathe :dremel:

He was able to make me some aluminum stand offs out of an aluminum rod as well they are tapped to allow me to use the exact same anodized screws i used on the outside of the case :) joy!

[​IMG]

Some of the rejects that happened

[​IMG]

And they fit the motherboard tray perfectly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because they are custom made you might have noticed the thread does not make it all the way to the top. So ill be using washers to fill the gaps.

[​IMG]

I only had some rough nylon ones but will be getting some fiber ones hopefully to replace them

Test fitting an old motherboard. This wont be the final one in the build but i made sure that the mobo tray can fit any kind of motherboard currently available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 3 Sep 2012
  13. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Looking good :thumb:...that one pic of the front of the case has the illusion that the front panel is warped...looked a little weird at first

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Woo hoooo :D the custom stand spacers look great. :):rock: Coming along nicely. :)

15. voigts

voigts What's a Dremel?

Nice. keep it coming

16. Briaireous

Yeah unfortunately my camera skills aren't great nor is the camera :( i think the illusion is caused by it not being cut to shape yet, its still wider that the actual case and hasn't been trimmed just yet because i want the side panels to fit flush with it before it goes under the grinder :)

Thanks guys much appreciated :)

17. Sarakon

Sarakon The German

Makes sense :D good luck with that!!:dremel:

18. RealWeaponX

RealWeaponX What's a Dremel?

Custom mobo spacers... now that's what I call a scratch build!

19. i-blaze

i-blaze What's a Dremel?

@ Briaireous
    Amazing work and extremely helpful project for me Briaireous.
    Really thank you for this.. I am aslo planning to build my custom case from scratch and right now am working on its 3d model, though
    am not gonna build it physically all by myself, my uncle is a mechanic and owns a fully loaded garage so he gonna help with the built. I have got all my details from the
    developer_spec_atx 2.2 pdf. But watching some 1 building it is way more helpful and opens up all possible idea in my mind practically.

IT would be really great if u could post the finished product for your creation and the rest of the updates. The main problem am facing is the back panel opening for the IO panel [ how far it should be placed from the side of the edge and how far the motherboard tray would be placed from the back panel opening side edge? am sry if you did not understand my ques.. coz i really dont how to put ques in words. But am sure rest of your updated will help me out. Since u have used practical references which is more useful den theoretical details at dis stage. tnx again and plz help out..

20. Briaireous

Back at last, new sponsor and hardware

Hi all,

So its been a good few months since my last update :( things have been really busy recently with work, studies and the personal life but im back and more than ready to get the build up and finished!

Firstly I want to thank my new Sponsor Evetech they were really friendly and helpful and its great to see that I can find local retailers that will help me out, especially here in South Africa! :D so a big thanks to Kamran S from Evetech for helping me out!

[​IMG]

He was kind enough to Sponsor me the NXZT Sentry 2 Fan Controller as well as some pre sleeved NZXT extension cables! I'm very great full for the contribution :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the actual build has been slow but that hasnt stopped me getting so new hardware for the build. I figured go big or go home so I bought the following

• i5 2500k
    • ASUS Maximus IV Exteme P67 Rev 3
    • 16GB (4x4GB) G.Skill RipJawZ DDR3 1600
    • Corsair TX850 V2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to worry though that doesnt mean nothing has been done on the frame heres a sneak peak more pictures to follow in the coming days :)

So first of spent a few hours grinding and filing down the Aluminum to help keep the joins flush will put the final touches on before paint

[​IMG]

It's pretty close so not much filing and filling left to do I hope :)

[​IMG]

Used a I/O back panel from another motherboard as a stencil to draw on the back I/O panel
    [​IMG]

Here it is cut out
    [​IMG]

More coming soon thanks for taking the time to check out my project log sorry for the lack of updates recently. Will be doing a prebuild to make sure all components are working 100%. Going to hopefully be making major progress in the next few weeks I have a new PC to test out and Overclock on Water :D