1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: REAPER

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Evil-Inc-UK, 18 Nov 2006.

1. Evil-Inc-UK

Evil-Inc-UK What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Hi guys

Welcome to my new mod work log I am still working on the Thermaltake case not to mention a new name for that project :confused: , but lately I have been working on my server case preparing it for what I want to do, this is a old case dating back to when I was in school and they were used as servers for their networks. In case any of you don’t know RM (Research Machines) is one of the biggest computer retailers for schools there is. Anyway I hate all this writing as I am guessing most of you don’t really even read it as you all prefer to look at the pictures to make your mind up if this is worth keeping an eye one.

This page probably isn’t going to be updated all that often for the first few months, so I will give you guys an idea of what I’m looking at doing.

Here is the subject.

The Front.
    [​IMG]

The Back. (Yes this thing can take up to 3 power supplies lol)
    [​IMG]

Drive Bays.
    [​IMG]

:dremel: Plans For Next Few Updates :dremel:
    1. Removal of the 3x 92mm front blowhole area.
    2. Removal of the motherboard tray panel.
    3. Removal of the drive bays.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2006
  2. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

well well well you started on ur case as well maybe it will be a mod off or somin good luck anyways :D

Sir k

3. Evil-Inc-UK

indeed it has begun :thumb:

good luck with your project.

4. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

WOW dude thats a BIG CASE really amazing i want to see what comes out from there.
    keep up the good work.

5. Evil-Inc-UK

1. Removal of the 3x 92mm front blowhole area.

Well its time to cause some serious damage to the original plans of this case when it was designed back in the day. :hip:

To start I did not want to have 3 fan blowholes in the front let alone 92mm ones I just don’t like them for some reason and from what I am thinking at the moment there may not be any fans in the front of the case at all if I proceed with this particular plan I will explain it in more detail later in the project. Anyway on with the show:

Dremel power however I do wish on this particular job I had an angle grinder
    [​IMG]

You can tell its old the steel is very thick and very tough
    [​IMG]

Wave 2 of Dremel attacks seem to do the job
    [​IMG]

After longer than I would care to mention and numerous accounts of damning the name of the person who borrowed my jigsaw, I have a big hole in my case and no more 92mm fan holes :thumb:
    [​IMG]

Well next update should be tomorrow as these are fairly easy and cost free parts to do when it comes to buying new materials for the project there is where the updates will begin slowing down. Here’s hoping I win the lottery one of these days lol.

Cheers for viewing any comment at this stage welcome.

6. elliod

elliod What's a Dremel?

keep on chopping lol.

7. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

so u can cut the case with a dremal thats good to know since im not allowed to use the angle grinder watching this closly as you can imagine nice work :D

8. Duste

Duste Sierra my delta, bravo!

That is a HUGE case. Are you going to utilise all three PSU slots? :p

9. Evil-Inc-UK

Yes indeed you can cut the case just takes awhile a word of advice though take some breaks when cutting otherwise defiantly with a case like this you will start abusing the Dremel trying to make it cut quicker as it starts to get tedious at least that is what I found happens sometimes, this will not do it any good forcing it, you only need enough pressure to hold the cutter in place and at full speed for steel. Really I would recommend something else for the larger cutting jobs e.g. a jig saw with metal cutting blades and leave the Dremel to the smaller, more precise working if you have a choice.

10. Evil-Inc-UK

Thanks for the comment & a good question

No only the one for the time being i have no plans to use more if by the time im finished there will even be space for the additional power supplies lol who knows.

11. Evil-Inc-UK

2. Removal of the motherboard tray panel.

Right now last time I said something about damaging the original design plans for this case well I think will do it:

So after removing those pesky 92mm's the next part begins more destruction!
    [​IMG]

unfortunately I was having so much fun doing this I forgot to take any pictures of the process which I must say was not as interesting to look at the one thing I didn’t notice about this case was the construction methods used.
    [​IMG]

This took so much longer than I thought it would first of all what I was prepared for the rivets which were destroyed with quick fire drilling action.
    [​IMG]

Next was what I didn’t see coming they the intelligent gits they are must have seen me coming and knew my purpose, they decided to spot weld the damn case as well as using rivets mere cm's away. So out comes the drill and on top of these the old screw driver and hammer removal method.

Here is the victim after about 45 minutes at least of constant abuse especially when I found my new best friend for these sorts of jobs the mini crowbar; yes I needed a crowbar and hammer to remove these bloody welds.
    [​IMG]

The weapons of choice in on this job and to think I only started this one using a hand drill and ended up using all of these at least one or twice to get it done.
    [​IMG]

12. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

still watching closly

13. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Well you can realy call that a server case! :baby:

14. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Can you give anymore details about the case name and number as that is an ideal wc project case.

Good luck with project.

15. Evil-Inc-UK

Hi malccy

Nowadays these cases are only really found in recycling centres due to there age it is a RM (Research Machines Plc) Server Case normally used in schools, I have no useful information on the case itself I have tried to find one on the internet for more details with little or no luck they simply don’t seem to exist anymore lol guess it is true they don’t build them like they used to.

The dimensions are approximately:

Height= 520mm
    Width = 370mm
    Length = 470mm

16. malccy72

malccy72 Minimodder

Cheers for replying to my question - will keep eye out.