1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Red HL2 [UPDATED DEC 24 - 100% COMPLETE]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrWillyWonka, 5 Aug 2005.

1. Hellboy787

Hellboy787 What's a Dremel?

Iam blowen away with your MOD ,MrWillyWonka...awsome.. is the only word I can use....Please keep it up, and I know I want to do the PSOne Screen mod too....but Im scared Shi**-less.... I hope It will be ok to contact you regardring it, if that is ok with you.

Again Its a great mod!!!

2. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Very nice! The case skin has turned out very well, I'd say definately worth the wait and all the hassle you've had!

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

The caseskin finally COMPLETED!

After 2 cuts, 2 blisters and 7 plasters, I have finally finished applying the caseskin. The top skin was easy to apply, the right side panel was a nightmare and took me, my mum and my dad 40 minutes to apply, due to the air bubbles we kept pulling the skin back, which caused it to stretch a little, and caused even more air bubbles to form!

The window panel which is a lot more complicated, was completed on my own, and took about 7 hours worth of time to do. This is due to the fact that I only had one chance to get this right and needed 99% accuracy for the metal cut to align with Gordon Freeman on the caseskin. Also I because the aluminium is so thin, I could not use a jisaw as it would cause the aluminium to vibrate too much, at one point the jigsaw bounced off the cut and the motion caused it to slam down onto the panel twice, causing two huge dents, luckily they were in the parts which aren'y needed, phew! So everything had to be done using a file, luckily it is such an easy metal to file and 5mm worth of panel could be filed in a few seconds!

Now some pics:

[​IMG]
    The skin cut to the right size, with an edge to spare

[​IMG]
    Unfortunatly I forgot to take into account of the mesh when designing the skin, which caused me to have a missing piece of metal on the panel

[​IMG]
    So I used a part of the cut out bits as a replacement

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The extra bit of metal is behind the arm, so the joint blends in with the pattern, very lucky!

I am extremely pleased with the way this has turned out, and I got this right in one go!

Hopefully very soon, I will be able to show you this case in all its glory!

4. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Wow, that looks loads better than I thought, good job! :D

5. koola

koola Minimodder

wow, that skin is very nice :D

the whole thing looks awesome!

6. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Wow, very simple, yet extreamly nice!

You got me wanting to get a case just so I can buy skins for it :)

7. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Your attention to detail is amazing - I noticed your neatly coiled cabling on your wall in this picture!

I've tried cable ties on all the mess behind my computer many times, but each time I get it neat I end up needing to remove something and starting all over...

As for the mod - it's coming along very nicely! :clap:

8. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I'm pretty impressed man. Nice work.

Everytime I see a caseSkinned mod, I remember that I have a large format inkjet printer (42" wide paper max) and all PolyGFX is a company with a similar piece of kit that runs sticky-backed vinyl paper. Now if it weren't works printer, I'd be i business by now ;)

9. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

MrWillyWonka, I will be very intrested to know how you intend to attach your acrylic to the side panel (if you intend to do so) as im looking at how close you have the window to the rear of the panel and I know there is frame work behind there that will foul screws and nuts when attaching the side panel. Have you found a way to overcome this? If so I would be very intrested in knowing how ;).

10. MrWillyWonka

I've used extra heavy duty double sided tape and the side panel goes onto the the case ok, its slightly stiff due to the caseskin but otherwise there's no obstruction.

You got a CM stacker yourself?

11. Son1990

Son1990 What's a Dremel?

Mr. Willywonka, What program did you use to design the case/layout? I use Milkshape 3D for my projects, but that looks much more extensive, kinda like photoshop. Is that what it is?

12. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Yeah I have a stacker, currently in the modding stages :). glad you found a good way to attach the window. Its kind of annoying how far back the panel has to be slid back in order for it be removed, think I am going to need to fix that.

13. MrWillyWonka

I used photoshop at a custom size, with a resolution of 700dpi. You need LOTS of RAM and a powerful computer to run things smoothly. With 1.5gigs on an XP 2800 it took bloody ages to do because the file was 1.5GB in size!

I agree it is annoying, however you can cut out your own little slot if you are careful, to reduce the anount of scrolling you have to do with the panel!

I used double sided tape and with the plexi on, it is a tight fit. If I used bolts at to hold the plexi to the sidepanel then I think I would have problems trying to slide the panel in!

14. Deathrow

Deathrow Minimodder

Yeah, im having to use bolts because I am mounting my acrylic on the outside, I will find a way around it though. You can just slide the bolt over the framework if you pull on the panel as you slide it in, unprofessional, but it works.

15. The_Maker

The_Maker What's a Dremel?

Wow, very skin.

I wish I could do stuff like that...

16. Lemmingzappa

Lemmingzappa What's a Dremel?

Awesome job mate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. MrWillyWonka

Thanks! Coincidently, there is another update tonight. It is about 99% finished. Just a minor problem that has to be resolved first.

18. MrWillyWonka

Decided to do the post a bit earlier!

The computer is nearly done, my 74GB Raptor arrived from the United States last week. Unfortunatly the BIOS detected it as a different hard drive and Windows wouldn't format it, it turned out to be a firmware failure, so a new one is being sent this week. Plop the Raptor in, and glue the front panel on. Some cable management, plop on the panels and it should be done, at long last!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wahey, parcels, we all know what the one wrapped in brown is :naughty:

[​IMG]
    :clap: :hip: :) :cooldude: :thumb: :p :naughty: :jawdrop: :rock: w00t, it's free!

[​IMG]
    These were unfortunatly not free :(

[​IMG]
    Assembling

[​IMG]
    Due to the lack of motherboard headers on the motherboard for 6 front USB ports and a multicard reader, a little modding of a USB hub and USB cables was required. If you want to knwo, check out my page here.

[​IMG]
    This might look like a lot of wires, but I swear to you it looks at lot worse now!

I'll be showing you final pictures of the case completed hopefully next week.

Last edited: 11 Dec 2005
  19. PrEpArE 2 cRy

PrEpArE 2 cRy Banned

Mr Willa Wonka, is your willy wonky?

20. P2D

P2D 99.999% Pure Spam!

Please note: whatever CHARL3S decides to do, isnt my idea / fault.