1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Soylent Green: 2006 FIN:

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by modsquad, 19 Oct 2004.

1. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Soon I'd bet, going by the "uploading them now"

Very sweet top res mount there. You sure you didn't chrome that thing? You said it was polished but... uhh... holy crap is that shiny.

2. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

Innovatek Reservoir Installed

I finally got around to installing the Innovatek Reservoir in project SG. The first thing I did was mock up an old (dead) power supply to be sure I had the clearance above the unit for the 1/4" clear acrylic the reservoir will be installed in.
    [​IMG]
    No problem. Then I measured up a 16"x7" acrylic panel for the reservoir to be mounted in. The panel was "ruff-cut" with a jigsaw, then finished up with a hacksaw. Next get the panel in the case and get a good mark for the top window cut out in the last episode.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Then more measuring to get the Innovatek reservoir's mounting plate centered within the case's top window cut out, and cut out the hole for the res. to pass-through the acrylic. I used the jigsaw (again), then cleaned up the hole with the dremmel and a sanding disk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With the clear acrylic panel ready it's time to get the reservoir bolted to the panel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Firehed ask if I had the Innovatek's mounting plate chrome plated? Yes I did. The polished look was OK, but as I had other parts for the chrome guy..I just added it to the list.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Nothing like chrome....
    Next up, bolt the acrylic panel with the reservoir to the top of the case with four stainless steel hex-head bolts...It looks pretty good.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next up will be to take it all back apart and get the green UV acrylic window installed under the Innovatek reservoir's mounting plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But that is for another day.
    MS

Last edited: 20 Oct 2008
  3. |I.H|

|I.H| What's a Dremel?

holy ****!!!! that looks nice, mod on :dremel: :dremel: :dremel: :dremel:

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Are you going to have an opening to get at the res through the green panel as well or is it going to end up a huge hassle to fill the system?

In any case (ha ha...), very impressive thus far. I really have a much better idea of what you were planning now :thumb:

5. modsquad

The green UV window will get the same treatment as the clear acrylic panel. So filling will be EZ (clear acrylic-green UV acrylic-chrome mounting plate on top). Gotta' show the chrome mounting plate on top of the case..

6. koegsmk

koegsmk What's a Dremel?

Do you plan to paint the interior of the case?

It would look much nicer. :rock:

7. modsquad

Well for sure, satin black with green uv clearcoat. I need to do some cutting to get the radiator installed first, as well as drill out some pop-rivets holding down un-needed stuff inside the case.. This is a small case, I want/need every inch/mm.............

Last edited: 6 Dec 2004
  8. modsquad

I should have the DVD drive cover back from the chrome dude by midweek and will get it put back together and tested.. The projects PSU will also be chrome, so then you look down on the case you will only see chrome and green UV acrylic....I should finish the top-plate (the green UV acrylic) this weekend..

Last edited: 14 Dec 2004
  9. modsquad

The chrome dude said he is "backed-up" and I should have the DVD drive cover back midweek..I will get the unit back together and tested.. With the Holidays,it has been tuff working on SG (the machine is not at my location, which compounds the problem). You should see some progress over this weekend.........
    MS

10. modsquad

Chrome DVD Drive & Laser Etch

After three weeks I got the chromed cover for the Pioneer DVR-108 back from the "chrome guy"..
    [​IMG]
    The finish is wonderful, but it was a BEAR to put back together. Mr. Chrome laid down a thick coat of chrome on the cover which made the bottom plate difficult to install, after some dremel work (aka cutting two mounting tabs) all is well...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    As SG's top window will expose about 80% of this drive, I decided to add a laser etch to the top of the drive cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A work in progress, but you get the idea....Cool Wicked Witch laser etch!!...More soon..........

11. apHytHiaTe

apHytHiaTe What's a Dremel?

Looking Good bro! Keep it up:)
    [​IMG]

12. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

You've prolly mentioned it before, but where do you get your etches from?
    Or do you etch yourself (Guess not, it being laser and all).
    Could you give me a link/website?

Further:
    I see you are using the Chrome/Black combination again, so why don't u mail a very very nice letter to aquacomputer for the Special Easter Edition blocks?
    Those have a silver touch. Don't know the specs though, but they are mentioned on the news tab of the site.
    Nice chroming on the aquatube, if it wasn't so expensive i'd do it too.

What are your plans on PSU modding?
    Making blocks for watercooling it already like a true supermodder? :thumb:

(Remark: Have you tested yet how Chrome and a lot of polishing works on the heat 'dissipation' don't know if it's correctly spelled. What I'm trying to say is if the chrome makes the watercooling hotter? FMJ shield etc.)

13. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

but the chrome looks so good. I love shiny things.
    This mod looks super so far.

14. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Just out of curiosity what is point of chroming an internal computer part. Dont take this seriously i just mean it as it is kind of funny if you think about it, the little amount of time yuo will see it and the money spent on it well hmmmmm.

15. Fahrenheit 541

Fahrenheit 541 What's a Dremel?

chrome dvd drive cover

wow that laser etched looks too cool over the chrome, very good work, I'am impressed to say the least, keep up the good work on SG project dude!! :clap: :rock:

16. modsquad

You are talking about the DVD drive and the pumps FMJ? The top of the case has a window about 14" long and 6" wide. Every time you look down at the machine you will see the both. Also because I like chrome... If you want to see a guy chrome plating stuff no one will ever see, look up project Black Narcissus..That guy must be INSANe, they should put him in a straight-jacket!!

Rh1n0x
    I got that etch from http://www.xport1.com/
    I ordered the laser etch months ago. As of this time xport1 is not accepting orders.
    Aqua-Computer makes there Cuplex and Cuplex Pro blocks in a Silver Edition (as well as there twinplex for NB). I guess that is what your talking about.
    This project will be using the Aqua-Computer Cuplex Pro and twinplex blocks (pictures posted a few pages back).
    The reservoir is a Innovatek Fass/o/matic not the AC Aquatube
    As for PSU. I plan on using a AeroCool Black/Silver Line 550W. It has a chrome finish from the factory
    [​IMG]
    I honestly don't know if chrome plating would increase the pump's temps.

17. Rh1n0x

Rh1n0x What's a Dremel?

I know you want to use the regular cuplex/twinplex from aqua-computer.de. Just pointing out the SE editions for you 'colour-scheme'.
    I figured you'd go for the Ultra Products X-Connect or the Silver Aerocool.

I hope you like the noise from these fans in combination with the Watercooling. I sure wouldn't. Damn noise!
    Nice picking though.

18. modsquad

Aqua-Computer's Silver Edition (.925 sterling) blocks look cool, but NO BANG-FOR-BUCK. Double the price, just to say "my h20 blocks are silver not copper"..This project is no-holes-barred..BUT AC_SE blocks ??? just because they are silver?______NO. Are you telling me the AeroCool fans are LOUD?? well that sucks.....

19. w4rr1or

w4rr1or What's a Dremel?

really cool case so far dude! keep up the good work. Where did u purchase the green UV acrylic from?

20. DoNuT

DoNuT What's a Dremel?

Wow really cool, I have a clear acrylic case and those chromed parts would look awesome in it. I gotta find a place around me to chrome stuff.