1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PROJECT: Wet and Chill-Li-an Li (20/7/04)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Johnny™, 20 Jul 2004.

1. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

Got the old 'itchy dremmel finger' feeling again :dremel:

So it begins! (All suggestions for a name are welcome),

I estimate it'll take me a few weeks to get this one finished, what with work/house/fiance committments, and still waiting on a number of parts.

This is what I've gathered up so far!

Hardware:-
    Lian Li V1000, Antec true Power 480W, Meanwell 320W Peltier PSU, XP2500 mobile, NF7-S V2, Radeon 9800XT 256mb, 2 X 76GB raptors (to be raid 0), 180GB Maxtor, Plexor DVD RW R-R+ CDRW combo.

Cooling:- watercooling parts can be viewed HERE New WACC Dual Row compact radiator, New 350mm WACC Active reservoir 10mm barbs, WACC AMD CPU block 10mm barbs, New WACC NB 10mm barbs, WACC GPU push fit, 223W potted Peltier, 2 X 5cm copper coldplates, 2 X 120mm fans (17db), 120 aluminium fan.

Case Mods:-2 X Matrix orbital 2 X 20 LCD displays (8 Temp probes) 8 UV CCFL, 20 UV leds

I've started making some changes to the case, (bear in mind this case cost £160 so its gently gently!) i just hate it when that dremmel slips and you get a huge score right up the side of your case! dont you? :duh:

I've started chopping and have made some interesting modifications to the res, Scott (viperlair), your comments in your review of the new wet and chilly chips kit about adding some UV led to the res caps were interesting, i was think exactly the same thing! :idea:

The images might seem a little pixelated as i've optimised them as much as possible for all you 56Kers out there!

This is the 350mm active res with the barbs removed. I plan to drill two hole's in the top of the case and used the barbs to fix the reservoir to the case. It will sit horizontally and the tubing will be hidden inside the case! :rock:

One problem i will encounter is where to place the Meanwell Pelt PSU! is slightly bigger than i had estimated! :sigh:

[​IMG]

The reservoir cap removed.

[​IMG]

Inside the reservoir. You can see the internal grooves to enhance surface area

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Aug 2004
  2. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

The reservoir cap had to be sanded flat on the edge that the barbs were mounted on to get it to sit flush to the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first set of holes drilled in the top of the case. These had to be spot on or else the barbs wouldn't marry up to the holes in the reservoir. The good thing is i could get it wrong as the res will hide the holes but i would have to then use a washer and it might not be water tight! :worried:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 11 Aug 2004
  3. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

The res fits perfectly but i will still have to test how water tight it is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The barbs fixed from the inside of the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

Some UV Leds, these will be attached to the low power gpos on the MX222 lcd and will fit inside the cap of the reservoir! :naughty:

[​IMG]

I drilled the holes at an angle so the UV led will reflect into the reservoir. The coolant will have a flourescent invisible blue dye added. Hopefully this will be quite a nice effect through the clear acrylic ends of the reservoir when lit by these ultrabrite UV LEDs.

[​IMG]

Two 6 mm holes to place the UV leds in.

[​IMG]

The led fits nicely! :rock:

[​IMG]

Two small holes drilled and aligned to allow the led wires down into the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

The new double row radiator in black. I'm not going to change the colour as this portion of the won't be on view.

[​IMG]

I dremelled a hole into the bottom of the case wall this allows a perfect of the radiator onto the front fan assembly. The front fan is mounted on a sound deading device so this should keep it even quieter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've added some trim to stop the radiator from getting scratched and extra noise deadening.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The radiator viewed from will the front bays removed i have the inlet outlet arranged so there is as little tubing and distance running from radiator to the CPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

I removed the case fan from the rear of the case and replaced it with an aluminium one. The removed fan will be in a push/pull configuration for maximum cooling at load. These fans will be connected to the MX222 unit and will be controlled by DS18B20 temperature probes (accurate to 0.5oC). These will be attached to the CPU die, cold plates and inline water temp sensor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats it for now. :sigh:

I'm just waiting for my coldplates, neoprene, conformal coating and dielectric grease to arrive. The next installation will be installing the pelt and testing the watercooling setup. Hopefully i will be able to modify the hold down clip to accomodate the extra width of the cold plates and peltier as it will require an extra 10mm of clearance :sigh: . I'm curoius to find out if anyone has installed a peltier with a WACC system?

:naughty: :thumb:

7. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

This is definately a project with serious potential! Good work! :thumbsup:

At least you've got courage, I wouldn't have gone near a £160 case with a dremel... :worried:

8. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I like where this is going, it's gonna be damn sexy when its finished!! :thumb:

9. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

Oh i forgot to mention a 14" Dell Laptop lcd panel! :naughty:

Possibly, to be mounted inside the case facing out of a cut side panel. I haven't thought about how this will be implemented, powered or connected up. So if anyone has any advice on VGA connections or how to power a standard laptop LCD panel, particularly VGA wiring diagrams? please post!

Thanks

10. Nath

It's extremely hard and expensive to wire up a laptop lcd.

See here: Clicky for more information. Although I think it's more trouble than it's worth, if you're willing to pay the ludicrous price then i say go for it.

11. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

excellent link thanks! :D

shame about the price!

12. Nath

Yea a lot of people try to do it but it's either too expensive or too much trouble. If it was cheaper and easier there'd be a plethora of cases with lcds integrated.

13. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Exactly, it's cheaper to buy a decent 15in LCD monitor from ebay...

14. Johnny™

Johnny™ What's a Dremel?

I have decided on a gamecube LCD which will be striped down stealthed and mounted in a spare bay. Its the perfect size but is a better shape than the PSone because the PCB is square rather than round and will fit in a drive bay.

EDIT:cost £40 on eBay

5.6" backlit LCD screen.
    Built-in stereo speakers.
    2 x headphone sockets.
    Volume, colour and brightness controls.
    S-video and AV phono inputs

[​IMG]

I'm going to try to find some mechanism of opening the bay to display the screen then retract with the touch of a button. :worried: dont know if i can pull this one off either! but I have an idea. :idea:

Last edited: 23 Jul 2004
  15. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

That LCD looks nice! Cost? Connection?

16. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

wow. i loved that case the day i saw it. and im jelous that you have one...
    i love the res on the top... thats just awesome...very slick way to mount too! using the barbs and all... now you should put some thermal adhesive between the bottom of the res and case to make the case part heatsink too =) ... or you could mount a little duct up to the back of the res, and make sort of a clear shroud over the res and direct air thru that for even further cooling potential ;)

very nice though. i like it alot.

and god damn that rad fits perfectly in that little hole you made. i cant wait to see it with everything installed. so far that is a very clean job if i may say so myself.

you better get some damn good parts. sheesh. i might end up with that case myself. i <3 itl the front is so sexy.

17. r3Q

r3Q Minimodder

wow. i loved that case the day i saw it. and im jelous that you have one...
    i love the res on the top... thats just awesome...very slick way to mount too! using the barbs and all... now you should put some thermal adhesive between the bottom of the res and case to make the case part heatsink too =) ... or you could mount a little duct up to the back of the res, and make sort of a clear shroud over the res and direct air thru that for even further cooling potential ;)

very nice though. i like it alot.

and god damn that rad fits perfectly in that little hole you made. i cant wait to see it with everything installed. so far that is a very clean job if i may say so myself.

you better get some damn good parts. sheesh. i might end up with that case myself. i <3 itl the front is so sexy.

18. Blzbubb

Blzbubb What's a Dremel?

Love the Res mount idea. Can't wait to see how this goes :rock:

19. modsquad

modsquad Grease Monkey Undergraduate..

20. _ferry_

_ferry_ What's a Dremel?

ahhh, i want that hardware too! :rock: If the modding wont make the case looking good, the hardware will be :D but i think some good modding is worth it ;)