1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Proper good bluetooth dongle?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DragunovHUN, 17 Dec 2017.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

The antenna wires on my integrated wireless card broke. I tried to source a replacement off ebay but the connectors don't click in place securely so I'm just about ready to give up on that.

With that in mind, I'm wondering if there's a gold standard USB dongle that'll work at least as good as the Intel AC 7260 or even better.

I normally use bluetooth to drive my mouse, my keyboard, my gamepad and a nice set of headphones, so pretty much all of my interaction with the PC. Wifi is nice if I don't have to pay much more for it but not a priority at all.

So, does anyone have a dongle that they really liked or that they knew was reviewed well? Thanks!

2. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Not answering your question but have you considered using a tiny dab of hot glue gun glue to hold down the antennas? It’ll hold in place and is generally quite easy to remove still.

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Good call, and a perfect excuse to finally pick up a hot glue gun. I'll probably do it once the machine comes apart again even if I get a dongle.

I also got some loctite for the threads on the rear IO, the wires broke because those nuts loosened up and allowed the connector to spin. This board is going to be a real bodge job, but good enough to probably get some low wattage chip and turn it into a NAS/CCTV box when I upgrade.

Last edited: 17 Dec 2017
  4. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

I've got an Asus BT-400 USB dongle I'm using in my HTPC via an unbranded USB 3.0 hub - and it works well enough, so long as it has reasonable line of sight with your devices (hence the hub). Originally I'd used it in one of the rear IO USB sockets but had choppy response with my Wedge Keyboard, unless standing over my HTPC with direct line of sight. It's fine for keyboard/mouse use (my MX Anywhere 2 works smoothly without lag). PC World have it for £12.99 if you're interested in it.

5. sjhujh

sjhujh Minimodder

I bought a Belkin one off amazon it's been reliable so far for me and better than the no name one i had before it....

6. silk186

silk186 Derp

I've been using an asus dongle for years, it is recommended with a few emulation programs.