1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News PS2 outselling PS3 and PSP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Jul 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Well maybe if they hadn't stopped newer models of the PS3 playing PS2 games, people would be buying more of them.

3. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Totally agree - the fact that they removed backwards compatability from the PS3 has meant that people need to buy a PS2 to play the older games. Totally retarded decision by Sony to do that.

4. simonw

simonw What's a Dremel?

I'm not totally surprised it's still selling well, the PS2 is cheap compared to the current gen consoles and it still has a huge catalog of games to choose from. And it's still an ideal purchase for a 1st time console owner.

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Ditto on the first 2 posts, i nearly bought a PS3 but then they dropped backwards compatibility and i didn't care for their current-gen lineup. I'm happy with my 360 and PC.

6. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I'm not so sure it was a retarded decision on their part... it was, however, one driven by monetary incentive no matter how you look at it.

If Sony pull the PS2 hardware from the guts of the PS3, it saves them, what, $20 per unit? $30? Software emulation probably costs about $10 a console (and a lot of headaches)...

A new PStwo costs... $100? It probably doesn't cost Sony more than $60 to make one now.

So that means that Sony minimise their loss on each PS3 sale, and make a profit on every PS2 sold.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy that Sony pulled PS2 support from the PS3 (I got a 60GB model before they vanished) particularly when they made it software support rather than hardware support... but it doesn't seem to have harmed the sales that much.

7. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Epic Fail

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Couldn't agree more. Also, who in their right mind buys a PS3 with the intention of going out and buying PS2 games to play on it? There is a suitably large catalogue of PS3 games to keep people happy, and if you are yearning for PS2 games, buy a PS2. As PS says, they are ridiculously cheap now. Or get one second hand with a bunch of games for even less.

So that leaves people who upgrade from PS2 to PS3, and want to be able to continue playing their existing PS2 games. Since they already have a PS2, why not just use that?

I have a 40GB UK PS3. I never owned a PS2 or a PS1. Not once have I wished my PS3 could play PS2 games. Not a single time ever. It can play PS1 games, but I have no desire to do that either. My current gen gaming needs are met by PS3 and PC games, and my retro needs are fulfilled by emulators and the awesome PS3 Megadrive collection (40+ classic games for £25? Bargain!)

I occasionally wish for the other features stripped out of the original PS3, principally the integrated memory card reader (though it is no hardship to plug a memory card reader into a USB port). Additional USB ports would be nice, but actually I don't think I've ever needed more than 2. SACD support would be nice, but it's not like I actually own any SACDs or a decent enough stereo to enjoy them, so more of a checkbox than anything else. And that's about it. For the price cut that came with the 40GB, all VERY worthwhile sacrifices. Oh, but I wish it has the shiny bezel...

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i heard sony are busy hammering away on software emulation for ps2 games but tbh im not really fussed, there are some good games on the ps3 to keep me entertained.

10. trig

trig god's little mistake

too funny...

11. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Software BC is almost free for every console, Sony have given the reason they pulled BC from the PS3 long ago.

Not to save money on hardware costs as they had gotten rid of PS2 hardware in the PS3 already
    Not to save software development costs because they had already developed the software, they said themselves it wouldn't have really cost them any more to load the emulation software on to the PS3

It was to stop PS3 owners from buying PS3's and not buying any PS3 games. There's not a massive selection of must haves on the PS3, so Sony found software sales per console was very low, the lowest out of any of the 3 new consoles last year I believe. For Sony and MS, the money is made in software sales, Sony was only selling around 3 games per PS3, so they weren't making much money at all. So they had to force people to buy PS3 games rather than PS2 games by removing the backwards compatibility.

There's a much better selection of games now, but back at release and for a year or so after it, the selection of games was pretty dire. At that point too, the PS3 was cheaper than a BR player. There is a reason to get a PS3 and not play PS3 games on it because it offers far more than that, and a year or so ago it was also the cheapest BR player around.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

I really would like mine to play PS2 games, God of War for example I have never played the first two but would like to before the third one comes out. Tbh though the way things are heading I can see myself selling the PS3 before too long

13. Jerz

Jerz What's a Dremel?

It's probably a pipe dream but do you think there is any chance that Sony will enable PS2 emulation through an update in the future?

14. choupolo

choupolo What's a Dremel?

Biggest thing holding me back from buying a PS3 is that they still cost almost £300. Could buy a top of the range graphics card and upgrade my PC for that. Consoles should be cheap, especially one that's now 3 years old.

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I am a living proof of this. I bought a PS2 to play GT4 just a month ago

16. mclintox

mclintox Eat cheese!

I'll stick to my PC thanks.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Plenty of people. Not everyone drops their old favorite games because new shiny ones are coming out.

Major inconvenience. MAJOR.

I'll be buying one soon for GTA: LCS and VCS, and some other exclusives.

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

true. I think I played my SNES and 64 more than my GameCube after I bought

19. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

360 + PC Cheesecake!

I just saw a PS3 on offer today... 350 EURO!!! MUHAHAHAH!

20. knuck

knuck Hate your face

no wonder they don't sell ...

That price would make me pass on GT5 even though i truly want to get to play this game when it comes out. That's how expensive this thing is

Tags: Add Tags