1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Pump Interference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Coolrunnin, 20 May 2002.

1. Coolrunnin

Coolrunnin What's a Dremel?

Just a quick w/c ing question -

I've got an Eheim 1250 for my noo wc rig but space constraints mean that it's going to fit best about 4 inches away From my RAID. Can anybody tell me if the magnetic field used to turn the impeller in the pump is going to knacker up my HDDs or not at this distance? Is there even any significant magnetic field generated outside of the pump's casing? any thoughts would be much appreciated - I'm just playing with w/cing for the 1st time:D

Please be kind - 1st post:eeek: :)

2. ejmac

ejmac What's a Dremel?

Usually what I do when I post is make a suggestion with what little common sense I have, and then the experts chime in to give you the real answer. I guess my first question is when you say its near the RAID do you mean near the drives, near the cables or near the onboard/PCI controller? I doubt due to the original applications for waterpumps that they are (magnetically)shielded in any way. I would think the best thing to do would be to build a little magnetically shileded case for the pump. Having said that I have no idea what materials or methods you could use. **ejmac sits back and waits for the people who know to post** Welcome to the boards, a very interesting question for a first post!

3. Wyzzord

Wyzzord What's a Dremel?

There are a few ways to shield against Magnetic fields. One of the most comon and easyest ways is to use a wire that is not attached to any electronics. Just a scrap piece will do. you could take a 18 guage wire and wrap it arround the pump a few times! As a mater of fact, your PC already uses this technique in it! As for a "small box".....????

4. [GiB] Spawny

[GiB] Spawny Xqpack Lovin

I've seeing many pumps in cases and have never heard of a concern about magnetic fields. Nor has anyone mentioned it.

I would say to keep it as far away from the board as you can but serviceable if you should require it.

Welcome to the Forums Coolrunin, never be worried about the question, what a good one to start the ball rolling.

5. Coolrunnin

Ah, yes, I forgot to say by RAID I meant the disks themselves! oops - the consequences of late night posting!:D

I thought this one might promote a bit of head scratching (that's why I posted:) !) I've been having a look round on some other sites for information but I can't seem to get any further than Dremel Freak on pcpz just mentioning somewhere in his 1st wcing about mounting the HDDs in the upper 5.25"s to keep them away from the pump - but he places it right next to the M/B? no problems reported?. Equally, Koolvin's project Crystal seems to have the pump very very close the the M/B and cabling etc. without incident. Both of theese projects are not using a 1250 though, maybe this produces a more powerful field? who knows? certainly not me! :) Just wish I had the relevant kit to test this properly so I could tell you guys the facts!

Thanks for the replys everyone:) - keep 'em comin':D

6. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

Welcome to the forums coolrunnin! Well supposedly Danner and Eheim are shielded, pumps like the Via's are not (well you get what you paid for i guess..they are like 10 bucks) The 1250 is a 317gph pump which i guess would put out a bigger field than a smaller gph pump. So if you are concerned about it, maybe switch to a smaller pump, or think about shielding. Nickel and iron are typically used for shielding (and i learned that aluminum does not provide proper shielding..who knew? :) ). JIC i have my pump "behind" my mobo in my setup (its a danner 250gph) and have not experienced any problems so far.

7. Coolrunnin

Yes scopEDog, that's just what I thought - bigger pump= More powerful magntetic field. I'm a bit reluctant to downsize the pump - I'm going to be watercooling more bits of my rig as time goes on :D :D Oh, very nice rig as well there scopEDog :)

8. TiTch

TiTch h2o cooled

I do remember this question coming on another forum due to interference caused when the pump is too close to the monitor. However, fans have very small magnets in them and we stick enough of them in our systems as well. However, I don't know, my disk will be placed above the eheim and below the OCH res/pump.

Anyone know how to test for this????

9. scopEDog

scopEDog Minimodder

10. Coolrunnin

I've just got a reply from Jess over at coolhardware to a similar query I posted over there.

He says that Eheims put out very little e/m interference and the HDDs are shielded via their casing anyhoo! He reckon problems are more likely to be experienced with soundcard interference (crackles) or vid card ghosting - Interesting huh?
    Hope this might help some of you out a bit, maybe? Still a topic worth gettin' some info on perhaps?

Now all I need is a res.......:D

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

yea pretty much everything is shielded in ur comp that really needs it.....basicly just ur hd.....it would take a mondo magnetic field to screw up ur vid and sound card (like magnet from a 10inch sub) really the only thing that might screw up is ur monitor if ur pump isnt shielded (like said before danner and ehiems are)....and the effect would be like putting a cell phone close to ur monitor while ur on a call......

12. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I would know about the 10" sub vs. monitor, I set a pair of 10" subs in front of my monitor, now the colors are ever so slightly off, whites are purple, reds are purple, blues are purple (just in one corner, though).

Doubt a pump would do any of this, though.

I neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed a new monitor :lol:

13. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

**said real loud like u would to a deaf person**
    HOWS UR HEARING!!!
    **said real loud like u would to a deaf person**

14. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I've not hooked them up to anything yet, I was wanting to make a pair of speaker boxes, but have never gotten around to it :(

15. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

hehe i had a 12 about 3 foot away from my computer.....it use to vibrate my mouse off the table.....

16. Makaijin

Makaijin What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't worry about it interfering with the drives themselves as most hard hard drives nowdays are already properly shielded anyway. I think the most chance is in interfering with the cables as most are not shielded. If you can, get those silver round cables from somewhere like The overclocking store as the silver are actually braided stuff and would act as some form of shield.
    I wouldn't really worry about it too much as I've never really had any problems.

17. Coolrunnin

Already got braided cables to shield them, Makaijin :D :lol:

Thanx for letting me know that you've not experienced any problems tho' - all bits of info help :)

Tags: