1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Quake Wars to have in-game ads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 21 Jun 2007.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

not an issue AFAIC it just adds to the realism of the game if done correctly, and cuts down costs to the end user

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I seem to recall some shenanigans with some advertising in that game.. what was it called now.. Battle.. Field.. something or other, no it's gone, sorry.

4. Wez Weasel

Wez Weasel What's a Dremel?

I had every store in the local area, put up a sign about in game advertising that you had to agree to in Battlefield 2142.....and I plan to do the same with this game as well.

60 bucks for the game for the end user.

hundreds of thousands of dollars for EACH ad a company wants in the game PER COMPANY.

make the game 20 bucks with in game ads, and we will talk.

5. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

I would like to see advertising in a game where it would be seen IRL.
    If they can do that, using real companies and making a profit, is what they'll be doing, why, so much the better.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007
  6. Wez Weasel

The only thing is, where is this game taking place? What year is it supposed to be?

If it was set in todays time and the ads were current, then maybe (even though I don't support ANY advertisements for real products in games), if it was in a sports game where every inch is crawling with an ad, then fine because THATS real.

But putting in game ads, into games that are set in the future is like putting a pizza hut into the middle of WOW. It doesn't belong there. For example, the wars take place on some world way out of our soler system in the year 3000, Do you want to believe that Starbucks and Toyota have 1. Been around that long and 2. Relocated on some alien world?

From the moment you wake up, to the moment you lay yer head down, you are being subjected with ads.

PC games and the like, should be worlds onto there own, they should be a fantasy, and have very little tie with reality. After all, most play games to get away for awhile and do things they cant do in real life....agreed?

7. The_Head

The_Head What's a Dremel?

The thing I don't understand is why have the game need to know how long you look at the adverts for?
    There's nothing like this in magazines, tv programs, out in public.
    So why have it in games where people are only going to worry that it is spyware and invading their privacy?

8. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Good point, ET:QW is c.50 years into the future, so what kind of ads would they need to be realistic?
    Intriguing.
    The official reason would likely be to measure their effectiveness.

[​IMG]

9. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Agree

10. Wez Weasel

"cuts down costs to the end user" ?!?! Huh? if that was the case, Quake Wars would be 20 bucks, not the 49.95 and up range.

I have yet to see any of the costs go down on any of the games with in game ads. The only time I see them go down, is when they dont sell well, or they are marked down because of how old they are. BF2142 at Best Buy is 30 bucks... still way to much for that buggy piece of software, and THAT had in game adds.....what happened there, where is my End User break on that?

11. Wez Weasel

Heres the part I love thoe

"The company providing the ad system does not and will not store any personal information or data that otherwise can be used to identify you. All they track is if and how long you look at the advertisements."

Ok, so wait, its not going to store any personal data, but they are going to track how long I look at the advertisements? Ok, you have thousands of players playing on any server at a time, are you telling me nothing is stored for review and that you have someone watching EVERY player to see what they look at in real time? because in order to see who's looking at what ads and for how long, you need some type of IDENTIFICATION, and more so then not, its going to be MY PERSONAL IP address. That can be used to.... all together now... IDENTIFY ME...

12. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

If the ads aren't big flashing mostrosities that stick out like sore thumbs then I'll ignore them in the same way I ignore all other advertising.

If the end-user sees benefits from it then I'm not so bothered.
    If the ad revenue just lines some fat-cat's pockets then I object.

13. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

Earth 2060
    you think Coke and the like wont be around in 50 years? ;)

RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support
    i like your tinfoil hat, where did you get it?

in the end it all comes down to exactly how the ads are implemented
    if they stick out and it looks **** then its bad
    if they blend in with the environment then fine, great in fact
    adds to the immersion factor and gets SD some extra cash, fine by me

14. Wez Weasel

(grins) that tin foil hat has come in handy a few times in my life.

"Earth 2060 you think Coke and the like wont be around in 50 years?" I'd like to think not, we are already seeing the death rattle of the Tobacco industry, and up till about 10 years ago the billboards were everywhere. So who's to say a name sake like Coke or Pepsi, or anything like that will last?

"RTFA, advertising revenue is supposed to be for server upkeep and to pay for continuing support" "SUPPOSED" being a key word.... have you played BF2142?

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the more effective way to advertise is to not be noticed at all, your subconscious will notice it and influence your conscious choices.
    anyway i want it to be a little cheaper than a usual game, these ads will give far more money than it costs for servers and support.
    and i wont like it if they fill my internet truck with spam that will go into the game and lag it to hell.

16. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Last I checked coke doesn't cause cancer. unless you drink 10 liters a day but in that case I think you would deserve cancer to end your sad life. its like adding chlorine to the gene pool.

17. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

i think its quite likely that huge names like Coke will still be around in 50 years so having coke adverts in QW wouldnt look out of place
    assuming they're created in such a way as to fit in with the environment, obviously shiny new billboards that look like they were put up yesterday dont fit in with a warzone being invaded by aliens

i havent played 2142, i played bf2 and based on that experience decided not to buy 2142 ;)

and EA are not SD :p
    i have much more faith in SD getting ingame ads right than EA

18. Wez Weasel

"Last I checked coke doesn't cause cancer. unless you drink 10 liters a day but in that case I think you would deserve cancer to end your sad life. its like adding chlorine to the gene pool."

I meant it as a example of the fall of a Advertising Giant. Who's to say that they wont find some health reason (in todays world, I wouldn't think there is not going to be someone bringing up Something about it, everyone so legal action happy) to bring about a change against sodas or really anything "unhealthy" for that matter.

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007
  19. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Umm, up untill now the world has managed to pay for continued support (which I might add, in previous years was far superior for most games imo) for games out of the cash that we paid for the video games themselves. And why would we need server support? There are thousands of individuals willing to host public and clan servers.

The excuse that IGA is required for servers and continued support is totaly bull****. IGA is required for one purpose and one purpose alone, to increase profits at the expense of the users experience.

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Most servers used to be independantly owned and were rented out.

Tags: Add Tags