1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raptor hds - worth the price?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Naked_Dave, 12 Feb 2004.

1. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

Whats your experience with the raptor hard drives? Are they worth the extra cost? I'm trying to decide whether to get a 37gb raptor, or a higher capacity standard drive. I have a file server, so the small size isn't a sacrifice... but are they really better?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well if you don't plan on buying a couple of standard drives and RAIDing them, or buying some U160 or U320 SCSI drives, then i think they're about as fast as it comes. Good buy IMO, and it's probably the next thing i'll be buying :thumb: :)

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

i couldn't specifically say anything about the raptor, but i am running a 15k U320 drive for my main windows drive and it makes one hell of a difference when compared to 7200 rpm drives, especially upon boot-up

before my 15k drive i was using a 10k U160 drive for my system drive and still noticed a definite improvement over 7200rpm

i reckon go for it, dont bother with raid0 though, does very little to imporve any performance with deskop uses

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

/me hears the call of mister_tad's fat wallet :p

5. Mister_Tad

credit cards are nice and thin :p

Last edited: 12 Feb 2004
  6. Naked_Dave

Something else i forgot to ask...

Its going to be mounted on its side, as its in a custom case. Would that be ok with the raptor? I know its fine with normal drives, but with this one spinning so much faster, i'm not certain...

7. Mister_Tad

should be fine :thumb:

8. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

I have 2 of the 36gb Raptors, they are installed on their side and have been fine for months now. They are run in RAID0 and are bloody fast too :D

I'm very happy with mine :thumb:

9. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

Bear in mind the 74gb has faster transfer rates and quicker seek time than the 37gb. I'd definitely get one if I had the money. From what I've heard, yes they are really better than a standard 7.2krpm!

10. Whis5555

Whis5555 What's a Dremel?

Agree with all of above, 25 sec boot time for windows XP with a RAPTOR, I love it.... Now to get a normal 120 gig for my media
    Better Graphics too....
    Speakers.....

11. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Well if it were me and it was just for a personal (ie non business) file server i wouldnt bother with speeds i would go for size, but thats up to you.

However i am awaiting a 74GB Raptor coming from the states soon in my Dads suitcase. It was $253 from newegg and wiht the exchange rate at the mo its only £137 wich is pretty good considering Bit's own pricewatch function tells me the cheapest is £194 plus delivery (and probably VAT). To me this price is justified as i can remember when an 80 GB HD was about that money anyway (not too long ago). This will be the system drive and a place to transferr video from my DV cam in my main rig.

:edit: yey 750 posts :D

12. 8-BALL

8-BALL Theory would dictate.....

The 74GB drive is actually quite a bit better than the 37GB version, as well as besting most 10K SCSI drives and even some 15K SCSI drives.

I would get one 74GB raptor, forget about raid. They don't need it, and for personal use, the access times will give you better performance.

8-ball

13. Naked_Dave

I don't think i can really afford the 74gb raptor... not yet anyway. I think i'll just get a normal cheap 80gb drive, then upgrade later. No sense spending £80 on something that isn't all that great.

14. friskies

friskies What's a Dremel?

I read a review in some magazine, with about 6 drives; the 37GB raptor had the fastest accesstimes, but there was a standard 7200RPM drive (120GB) that was slightly faster at transfers etc. and ofcourse less expensive! I think it was called Samsung spinpoint "D-series". They also stated that it was hard to come across. Anyone has any info on this disk? Anything at all?

15. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

Yeah, agreed and that is what I did and even though I did have a second thought over the money issue (due to other haedware I got at the time I guess ) Having lived with it for a cople of months now I wouldn't go back again. Perfect system drive - all those heavy disk activity tasks you hate are speeded up - its a pure joy.

If ya got the dosh do it :thumb:

16. aaronrkelly

aaronrkelly What's a Dremel?

I second this - I have the 37 gb Raptor for system/os drive and a 160 gb WD 8mb cache drive for data. Windows is quite a bit snappier and loads quicker as well - real noticable. Loading Call of Duty and similar maps is A1 great - why wait when you could be fragging......of course I suck so its more like why wait when you could be getting fragged.....

17. Alwayz Dead

Alwayz Dead What's a Dremel?

:D Yeah me too - hence the handle :D

18. Xiliqueirn

Xiliqueirn What's a Dremel?

If you can afford them, the Raptor Drives are about like the Ferrari's and Lamborghini's of Hard Drives. Not a whole lot that is faster without being a WHOLE lot more expensive.

19. Naked_Dave

Just realised its my birthday in about a month, so maybe i'll get a 74gb raptor after all :D