1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Raspberry Pi, the easy way of doing this ??

Discussion in 'Software' started by Elspuddy, 3 Jan 2019.

1. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

right, i do seti on my raspberry pi(i got 11) and iv just got some ssd's now i want to transfer whats on the sd card to to ssd and boot from whats the easy way to do this or should i just install and setup from scratch ?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

More details required: what are the SSDs, how are they connected to the Pis, are you looking to boot directly from the SSDs with no microSD card installed?

Assuming the answers are: USB flash drives that you've checked can cope with being boot devices, via USB, and yes, in that order, you'll first need to check your Pi models can do USB boot (only the Pi 3B/B+/A+ and Pi 2B v1.2 can, no other models) and enable the option if you're on anything other than a Pi 3B+/A+. Then it's just a case of cloning the microSD onto the USB flash drive: if you're running Linux, that's as simple as:
    Code:
    $ dd if=/dev/sdX of=/dev/sdY
    Where X is the microSD and Y is the USB. I assume Windows can do something similar, either directly or using third-party software. The important thing is you need to clone the partitions as well as the data; dragging and dropping in Windows Explorer ain't going to do the trick.

Frankly, though, I'd probably ditch the idea of using fragile USB sticks as boot devices and either use slightly-less-fragile microSD cards or - and this is by far the best option - network boot to do away with the need for local storage at all.

3. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

thanks gareth :) ,raspberry pi 3/3+ , kingston 120 gig a400 120 gig ssd and benfei usb 3.0 to sata adapter (ASMedia 105e) (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07F7WDZGT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) powered by Anker PowerPort 6 60W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PK1IIJY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ), i did try and network boot before with pi server but i some how i did not have wright access, was useing sandisk/ kingston 32 gig sd cards but they only last about a year , i did set up a 3+ with a ssd and a usb to sata(got it off ebay , it's a diffent chipset to the ones i got now )and it works fine.

edit: i forgot to say im want to boot off the ssd and not the sd card :)

Last edited: 4 Jan 2019
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's no reason it shouldn't be able to boot from that, but with the proviso I've never tried that particular model of SATA adapter before.
    I've got a Pi Blu-tack'd to my monitor which acts as secondary DHCP server and lights up when my doorbell goes off, and it's had the same 4GB Transcend SDHC card in it since... February 2012? If it's writes that are killing 'em, look into how big the SETI stuff gets - you might find you can get away with sticking it in tmpfs and having no writes to the card at all (with the proviso that if there's a crash you'll lose any unsubmitted workunits.)

5. Elspuddy

Elspuddy Minimodder

i dont think it's just seti thats killing them, i do other stuff on them as well like update every month, run a mumble, terraria servers (not while seti runs and not on all of them)