1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Razer Imperator Gaming Mouse Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 15 May 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

What's the feel (size wise) compared to the deathadder?
    I have a first gen DA which is looking pretty tired now and was thinking of getting one of these but no shops near me stock it so I cant go feel it up..

3. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I had one around for a spin as well... Liked the shape and size, but the shiny fingerprint plastic-sides are a massive NO-NO for me. I just do get disgusted by greasy fingerprints on things.

4. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

I can see where you are coming from Jipa, my Lachesis has shiny sides but having a quick look around it seems pretty clean for an aging gaming mouse...

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Might get it, then take a fine grit sandpaper to the shiny sides.

My first gen (matted) DA is getting long in the tooth.

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Don't know why their so expensive, its just a plastic shell with a lazer and electronic buttons. I think your paying more for the name, "oooooo, Imperator thats sounds cool" *gets out wallet*

7. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I had a dabble on one at The Gadget Show Live; nice mouse. I don't remember it feeling any bigger than my DeathAdder and the customisable buttons were a big plus. If my current mouse ever dies (fingers crossed it doesn't) then I may well pick one up.

8. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

would be happy to spend some cash on a mouse (I bought a mechanical keyboard for instance and its well worth the money) but 50 quid seems very pricey for something which is so basic.

I have a logitech g7 and an intellimouse and neither cost anything close

9. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

i bought a copperhead and found it to be style over substance plagued with really bad drivers and interface, wasn`t all that comfy either. This looks a step in the right direction, hopefully they`ve sorted all their drivers out too so it`ll play as good as it looks.

10. hurrakan

hurrakan What's a Dremel?

Argh!

The laser in my Logitech G9x just stopped working :(

My trust in Logitech has been shaken - so I've just ordered the Imperator.

11. Dave_M

Dave_M What's a Dremel?

These so called gaming mice are pretty unimpressive. Small, plastic, basic even mouse with a stupidly high DPI rating. Why not just turn up your mouse sensitivity in windows. That won't cost you £55 either.

I'm also surprised that they still use USB. 1000Hz polling rate? So what? When USB adds some 4ms input lag, then 1000Hz and that DPI rating will make it all better? Oh but lets not forget the extra l33t skilz you get from having a braided mouse cable. Me thinks PS/2 would be for serious gamers. Less compromise, more hardcore :p

(ranting mainly due to my G5 being overpriced crap)

12. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I had the logitech g9 as i was told it was the best best my *** biggest load of rubbish i ever bought when cable got damadged on it my replacement was the Razer mamba and I have to say WOW! what a difference For me Razer gaming products are the best

Apophis54 likes this.
  13. Teh C

Teh C Arg

55 pounds for a mouse? No thanks.

14. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

The shape of the mouse is just WRONG! How do they expect a mid-sized hand to grab and slide that thing?
    I don't see any ergonomics there, it's even worse than the G9 mouse i have, and what makes it even worse, is the lack of DPI indicating LEDs.Not saying that the G9 is a good mouse, which isn't the case at all, it's just pathetic how these gaming mice never advance.

With that being said, most people do not know that even if your mouse is equipped with a 1000Hz sensor, you can barely achieve half that poll rate on a normal mouse pad, so spending am extra $50 on a high quality mouse pad with a well textured solid surface is something to be considered when buying one of those mice.

Thanks for the review Harry and may i recommend reviewing the Gigabyte M8000x mouse, and another review on gaming mouse pads...

15. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

input lag through usb.. never heard that one before- if that was true ps/2 would be the only way to make a high end gaming mouse.. so yeah

16. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

looks good... but lost faith in Razer products a year ago when 2 death adders died! Will stick to my MX518 thank you very much :)

17. the-lighthouse

the-lighthouse What's a Dremel?

I just signed up to Bit-tech to post a comment on this mouse, although I am a long time lurker to this website :)

I have owned the Imperator since December last year and I have been using it exclusively since then and thought I might share my feelings on the mouse. When I first got the mouse it was amazing, I thought to myself this is the best mouse I have ever used and it was comfortable, light and all round a great gaming mouse.

My feelings have changed slightly due to the following reasons:

1. The mouse suffers from something known as z-axis tracking. This is due to the use of the Philips twin-eye sensor used in the mouse, which causes the cursor to jump down and to the right every time the mouse is lifted slightly off the pad and placed back down. It is possible to move the cursor from the top left all the way to the bottom right of the screen just by bouncing the mouse up and down on the pad. In simple terms any time you lift up your mouse it will be in a different position and this may or may not affect you depending how often or not you pick up your mouse in game. I personally wasn't really affected by it as I don't lift my mouse up that often, but FPS gamers could be especially affected.

2. This is the biggest problem with this mouse. At times the mouse will just stop working, this could be in Windows or in game and you cannot do anything. The only way to solve this problem is to unplug and plug the mouse back in again. Similarly the mouse will at times get stuck on a vertical axis and will only be able to move in the horizontal direction, again unplugging fixes the problem. Now I don't know about you guys, but paying $80 for a mouse that randomly locks up or stops working doesn't cut it for me.

3. The mouse feel is very similar to Logitech G5/MX-518 mice. It's slightly shorter length wise and slightly wider, but it feels quite comfortable on initial use. Longer term, I have become annoyed with the right side of the mouse which like the MX mouse juts out slightly by the ring finger (right hand), but is more prominent and less comfortable. The side buttons are also gimmicky, no doubt to try and sell the mouse, but a superfluous feature. I also don't like the glossy plastic sides :\

I just bought a MX-518 this week because of the issues I mentioned above. It's ridiculous for a mouse as expensive as the Imperator to have the flaws mentioned above. While my new mouse (old model) is an optical, it more than serves my needs and to boot its more comfortable and doesn't suffer from those problems.

I will be more cautious in the future when buying expensive "gaming" products from Razer.

18. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Your comment is so epic in ignorance that I can't help laughing.

19. borandi

borandi What's a Dremel?

My G5 was an awesome mouse, until the laser in it failed. It was the wireless version, and I had no issues whatsever with lag - gaming with wired mice always irked me because it'd always catch on something on my desk, or the weight of the wire hanging off the end of the table would always restrict movement (although very slight, it all makes a difference).

So when that broke, I got a Dell 6 button laser mouse from eBay for 6 quid, and it works 95% as well as my G5 did in terms of smoothness and ease of use. Main downside is that it's wired. And it has a couple things over this Razer - a DPI display on the mouse, and it's a lot cheaper. I don't mind spending 55 quid on a mouse, but it has to be the right one for me. Until another decent wireless gaming mouse for around that price comes out, I'll stick with this Dell mouse, because it's very, very good.

20. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

@ the-lighthouse - interesting comments. I have no such issues with my DeathAdder, another reason to hope it never packs in as it's a damn fine rodent.

I did have issues with my Lycosa keyboard however and Razer's support wasn't the best in the world. I got a replacement eventually but I wouldn't buy another keyboard made by Razer.

Tags: Add Tags