1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Recommend a MESH set?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MiNiMaL_FuSS, 29 Nov 2020.

1. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Hi guys,

Just moved my office into the loft conversion and the WiFi is pretty dire.

It's an old Victorian property, so not sure the wiring would cut it for home plugs.

Considering going for a mesh setup to solve the issues.

It would need to cover 3 floors, ideally replacing the router rather than extending it, and I'd want to make the most of my 100mbs cable speeds on the top floor over the 5ghz band.

I was considering the following, but would appreciate suggestions.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tenda-Coverage-Parental-Controls-Replacement/dp/B07YZCZSPW

Thanks!

Last edited: 29 Nov 2020
  2. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Have a look at the various TPLink Deco models.

Main benefit is that you can mix and match different models, so can upgrade single nodes and bump the others further out rather than having to replace the whole system.

I've been well impressed with 3 Deco M4s covering a 2 floor Victorian terrace for £99. No dead zones anywhere and easily maxes out my 80mbs bband. I probably only really needed 2, but the garden now has WiFi, which was beautiful for home working this summer. :grin:

3. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm planning to get 3 units, one for each floor, so good to know that sounds like plenty.

After doing some more digging, the TP-LINK Deco M4 seems to outperform the Tenda Novas, so I think that's the way I'll go.

Last edited: 30 Nov 2020
  4. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Two of my friends got some of the eero (non pro) that they are very happy with.

One lives in a modern ish (50s) semi while the other is in a new build.

5. jsbombjack

jsbombjack Minimodder

Second the Deco recommend. I use the Deco M4, and have found it work work really well considering the price. Definitely better to make sure that 2 of the 3 units are connected to your network via ethernet (because they are dual rather than tri-band), but other than that they are excellent.

Also, if you have a combination of wired and wireless devices, then make sure they are in AP mode, otherwise all sorts of fun happens ;-)

6. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

If you have a second router on the network, they should be in AP mode irrespective of whether your devices are wired, wireless, or a mixture of both :)

I would also go the TP Link Deco route, cracking bits of kit!