1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Red Faction 3 in the works

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Feb 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

I only ever played the original promised so much but delivered so little, could be interesting if they can crack it though.

The geo-mod in the first one was you can destroy anything, just so long as its on the linear path they set out otherwise the rocks in the mines you cant destory even though they look the same as the rest lol

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hell yeah! Loved the first one, wasn't so keen on the second. Multiplayer was great fun, using the destructible environment to get to the fusion rocket launcher. The railgun was also awesome :D

Can't wait.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

The Geo-Mod was present in the first game as well, but it didn't really work. There was a test level that was fun for a bit: I managed to dig a huge tunnel all around the map using a rocket launcher, ended up in some crazy places, but they never implimented it properly in the game.

Typical example: you're in a mine, you get to a big gate. What do you do?
    "I know" you think "I'll use the power of the Geo-Mod system and, using that handilly placed drilling vehicle, I'll dig my way around"
    Unfortunately, all you hit is an undiggable line of rock running on either side of the gate. Why have such a good system and then totally not use it?
    It was the game that included the famous indestructable bench: the whole room could be flattened, but the bench lived on forever.

I've not got great hopes for this to be honest, modern tech just isn't powerful enough to be able to work it out properly.

5. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

I liked the first one but did get annoyed at some of the geo-mod issues.

I think for me the biggest annoyance was when you destroyed some rock/wall numerous times and you'd sometimes get a near invisible piece of "solid" sticking out that you couldn't see head on but only when you moved around it. basically it was a clipping issue with how the geo-mod determined what to remove from the landscape.

I know it's tuff to code up these things, but small things like that really do ruin the experience of a free, destructable env.

6. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

I loved the first one but really missed the multiplayer in the second :(

7. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

ahh one of series that passed me by when off gaming, on a plus side there gonna be somethiing i want to play for a long, long long time

Last edited: 6 Feb 2008
  8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yay for RF3. 2 wasn't as good as 1, hope 3 will be more like 1.

9. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

couldn't have said it any better!!

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

ctrl+c, ctrl+v....

11. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I had 1 on PS2 and loved it on multiplay but shame we couldnt play oneline because the bots were not so good. Was a great single player game too and loved being able to blast throgh walls etc.

Hope they dont mess up 3

12. Major

Major Guest

Awesome, Red Faction 1 was amazing, remember blowing bits off of walls etc. Was unreal back then.

13. Cookiemonster101

Cookiemonster101 What's a Dremel?

Yeah I forgot about red faction! Loved that game. I didn't play much of the second one, but if it's like the first one, should be a good time :D

14. WildTangent

WildTangent What's a Dremel?

I cut my gaming teeth on RF1 on the PC, it was the first game I got after I joined the modern age with a new computer and broadband internet. Oh, the fun I had... Well, anyway, here's to hoping that number 3 is more like the first, I wasn't too fussed on the 2nd one although it did have it's merits.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

the story about the second game was less good than the first.....

16. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I liked the first game. Making near-endless tunnels in the "Glasshouse". Eh?:lol:

Did anyone else find the hidden easter egg on the installation disc? It was a bink video.

17. mr00Awesome

mr00Awesome YEAH SWEET LEMONADE

I remember when i was in school, coming home afterwards and plying RF1 or timesplitters everyday.

18. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I have such fond memories of RF1, and to some extent, RF2.

I hope I have the same memories of RF3 in the future.

19. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

RF1&2 were both definetly good, i will be interested to see what RF3 will be like

Tags: Add Tags