1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Replace old i7 2600k/DDR3 PC or update?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neil_b, 15 Sep 2018.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

I have an old PC with the following key spec elements, that I really need to bring up to date (W10 etc) or replace;
    Mobo: Asus P8P67
    CPU: Intel i7 2600K
    Memory: 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3
    GPU: MSI GTX570 (1280GB)
    Plus various SSD, HDD etc.

W7 has become unstable and my preference is to move it to W10, but the current mobo won't run W10 (according to Asus support) and I have no idea if the gphx card would either - but my guess is it wont.

Can I, with a new mobo and graphics card, re-use the other parts of the PC to build a new rig and re-use the cpu, DDR3 memory, disks etc.?

I'm assuming I can, but would really like some suggestions on a good mobo that would take the old i72600k cpu, DDR3 memory etc. I don't want to buy a used mobo - happy to buy a new one.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks as always.

2. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Last edited: 15 Sep 2018
  3. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

To replace a motherboard of that generation @neil_b you'll likely pay through the nose for it - if you choose to upgrade to say a Ryzen 5 CPU and a B450 board (which would be my suggestion), you'll still be looking to pay DDR4 tax on top of that.

Secondly, are you sure it's not the CPU or DDR3 causing the instability?

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Why wont that board run 10?

I'm running a P67 sabretooth with no issues, same chipset, same era board.

5. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'm guessing that Asus just haven't bothered to test that motherboard on W10, so it's not qualified by them, rather than it actually won't run? There shouldn't be any big reason why it wouldn't, I'm running a previous gen i7 on W10 currently.
    I'd echo the others in that it may be either the W7 install or some other piece of hardware (of course, that piece of hardware could be the motherboard, in which case you would be better changing everything unless you can find another).
    Have you tried reinstalling Windows 7?

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I can confirm that board will run Win 10 without issue, I have the same one. Asus doesn't list any drivers for it but they can be found direct from Intel, Realtek e.t.c or can be acquired with windows update.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I can also confirm the motherboard will work with Windows 10.

PC that I have given to my nieces has a P8P67 Pro in it and that is running on Windows 10, all I did for some of the drivers was getting the Windows 8 or 8.1 drivers and install them and it's working fine for them.

If your going to upgrade, then you might as well go for a Ryzen pc which yes are slower for gaming but for the price it cannot be beaten in terms of multipurpose usage.

Throw the current parts on here for sale or ebay.