1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs RIP: Asus responds to its flaming motherboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 18 Mar 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Awesome. DSO's really are too cool for school.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They're going through a lot of effort for you, they must think highly of your opinions. Now get them to sort their support site and download servers!

4. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

Seconded, site and downloads are atrocious from ASUS

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Third-ed.
    Great hardware, but horrible support.
    New Xonar D1 Firmware please!

It's quite interesting to see the kind of checks they're doing on the board.
    For most enthusiasts, once you see a part of the board melted or burnt-out, the initial reaction is to treat the whole board as being fried.

For someone who knows their electronics that'd seem kinda silly, but seeing ASUS describe the result as :
    - Changes that perception of the board a little from the point of view of a layman-enthusiast.
    Makes me wish I had the tools and know-how to test and repair components like this myself instead of going through RMAs. :p

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

The problem with this whole scenario is $$.
    Let's take a hypothetical tour
    The board comes back to the manufacturer for RMA.
    Without the association of Bit-Tech name you just throw it in a recycle pile.
    BUT this one is high visiblity so we send it to "the lab".
    Now these are not minimum wage individuals - these are highly schooled and trained people with a bazillion $ worth of state of the art equipment.

One 8 hour day for this engineer is probably in the $50 to $100 per hour so you have $400 to $800 invested in one day testing this board by the engineer. That assumes only one engineer. In my experience it is seldom 1 engineer doing the testing.

It is so difficult to spend the $$ to test that it is no longer economically feasible for a manu. to test hardly any of the RMAs.

In a perfect world a chain of RMAs for a device with the same defect should alert the people that they have a problem with component XX. But it seldom happens.

I don't know what the internal cost of this board was to Asus but it was probably less than a good evening meal out.

One can only hope that by this exercise Asus will improve either the component or the design.

It's sad to see so many $$ parts scrapped out because of one 4 cent part.

I do hardware and software for a living and have for 30 years.
    Pulling a card and replacing it is cheaper than fixing.

john

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I suppose the level of service would depend on whether the tech people are really concerned about it - if it was just a silly bugger of a pre-release board, I could understand them not making a big deal, but once something actually goes up in flames it certainly warrants investigation.

I would bet that most RMA's don't involve fire, only a defective flash or similar.

8. Jhonbus

Jhonbus What's a Dremel?

Lovely fingernails for an engineer.

Tags: Add Tags