1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Rumour: AMD releasing Athlon II before September

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Apr 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

they're late. Athlon II sounds stupid when you know it's like the 5th generation or so

3. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I thought the Althons based on k10.5 were due to supposed to start turning up in June? when did it change to after september?

4. Laitainion

Laitainion What's a Dremel?

I think these are the phenom II based ones, since the phenom based ones (i.e. based on the dual-core Kuma) are already out. Or at least, I can find one such processor on Scan. Given how long it took for AMD to start releasing k10-based Athlons, I'm not all that surprised they seem to be largely skipping it for the most part and moving onto k10.5 as you put it.

5. Dragane

Dragane What's a Dremel?

Athlon 2 sounds awesome to me. If its a good chip i bet many people will get back to AMD just because of it.

6. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

april fools anyone?

7. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Bit of a dull one if it is! I liked the BMW ad in this morning's London metro, promoting its magnetic tow technology which lets you save fuel using a magnetic field that grabs the car in front, letting you turn off your engine and cruise along behind ("without affecting handling"). Nice.

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Linky: http://www.businesscar.co.uk/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=4357&c=2&theme=0
    I like the e-mail address for more info: uve.vollenvorit@bmw.co.uk

9. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Athlon 2....is this replacing Phenom 2?
    i'm confused, When Athlon was released it was there premeire cpu which I bough, all 500mhz i think in slot form factor...so there doing a Athlon 2 as a sub brand to Phenom?

10. Saivert

Saivert Minimodder

Looks like Bit-tech forgot all about April 1st this year and had a short time to come up with a witty article. This one was dull indeed. Make sure you got this planned for 2010 please!

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

which would make it work. I never thought about which day we are while reading this because there was no awesomeness whatsoever in this news.

I remember a prank back in 2001 or so saying Atari was coming back on the console market. Heh, that one was cool to believe

12. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Nah dude im specifically talking about K10.5 AKA Phenom II not the K10 Phenom based ones, they were by all accounts supposed to start being released in June to replace the K8 Athlons ;)

The dual core K10 Phenom based Athlons Eg the 7xxx series if i remember correctly were NOT native dual cores , they were infact quad cores with 2 cores disabled, they were quads with two defective cores so they couldnt be x3's hence their very high TDP for a dual core, also im assuming thats why there were not that many released since they were harvesting defective phenom cores there wouldnt be that many instances of them having 2 cores that didnt work as the manufacturing process went on, it was cheaper to keep selling the K8 Athlons rather than to push out dual core phenoms with two good cores or even one good one bad disabled

But the K10.5 Athlon II chips are native dual core designs, so expect them to overclock like the current phenom chips, and since they are 45nm they will have a lower TDP thanks to the die shrink and being native dualies and they should overclock like mad as ive mentioned before since dual cores as we all know overclock easier and higher than quads for the most part, so imagine how well it should OC when we take into account just how bloody well the current phenom II's clock ;)

13. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

Athlon II could be AMD's Celeron, and it would be a damn sight faster.
    There are some dual core celerons, but a very cheap tri or quad AMD die could make intel a little more worried about the Business workspace....

The Phenom II's go up against the Core2 generation.

14. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Doubt this is an April Fools, it's believable. How would these be priced? AMD doesn't really have any price ranges open, unless if they start selling CPUs for $20.

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i'm also interested in how these would be priced... they'll have to replace some existing part of the lineup, but where?

16. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

doubt this a aprils fools, it'd be pathetic and ****, 2 things bit-tech is the opposite of

Tags: Add Tags